New Coldplay - "Mylo Xyloto", Oct 24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hipsters like Parachutes best because it's their debut, as well as being their least bombastic. Pretty sure that, among the general population, Rush of Blood would easily win out. I just find the second half of the album really boring, personally. The hits are great.
The second half contains the title track. Can't have anything against that one?

I don't remember it that well, and I've probably heard the album 10 times in full. I think I like it. Amsterdam I know I really like. Sometimes Warning Sign is great, if I'm in the mood. Don't like or dislike Daylight, A Whisper and Green Eyes.

I guess I'm one of the few here who doesn't think Parachutes is their best album. It's definitely solid, but I tend to prefer either Rush Of Blood or Viva.

Agreed. I even imported the damn thing from the UK before it was released in the US, and I'd still probably rate everything other than X&Y (which really isn't even 1/3 as bad as everyone pretends it is) as better than it.

Not a fan of "Fix You", and I do agree that X&Y is probably their weakest album, but it has some pretty great moments: the title track, "Talk" (yeah, it's based on a Kraftwerk song; doesn't make it any less awesome), "A Message", and "Low" chief among them.

Hipsters like Parachutes best because it's their debut, as well as being their least bombastic. Pretty sure that, among the general population, Rush of Blood would easily win out. I just find the second half of the album really boring, personally. The hits are great.

Amsterdam > anything on Parachutes

Agreed. I even imported the damn thing from the UK before it was released in the US, and I'd still probably rate everything other than X&Y (which really isn't even 1/3 as bad as everyone pretends it is) as better than it.

Agree with everything said here. Also like to add my love for "Clocks" - first song that got me into Coldplay, amazing song.

That's my favourite Coldplay song hands down.

the live version is pretty fantastic....that one that came in the bonus live 2003 cd.

regarding X&Y, it has some great songs, but some equally awful songs...kind of like U2's album that came out in the same year, lol!

hoping this new album is decent. i think i listened to that new song once and never listened again.

as far as my favorite Coldplay song, i actually think "Lost" is my favorite, even though i wasn't a fan of VLV at all.

I love Lost, but the Jay-Z version is my favorite because I like hearing the cash registers faintly chiming in the background during his rap.

"Uh uh, J Hova, uh, Coldplay, uh uh, Lost, uh."

The only reason that miserable effort made the cut has to be Chrissy's ignorance of what a good rap sounds like.

"Hey! Yeah! I like that black man thing you did."

mikal said:
maybe they can get Will Smith to rap about positive things on this album?

Yeah, bring the Fresh Prince out of retirement with a gold chip on his shoulder. Coldplay said knock you out.

I don't think I've heard Live 2003. No one talks about Moses much, nor the rest of the album, so I don't assume I'm missing all that much. Maybe when the new album comes out and I'm on a Coldplay high (yes, I'm assuming Mylo & Xotis will be good).

I was so excited to hear X&Y once I finally got into Coldplay. I listened to the first three albums all in one day because I just kept liking what I was hearing more and more. By the end of X&Y, I found myself completely deflated. I really WANTED to like it, and it just was a big let down. I'm kind of glad I wasn't a fan when it came out, because I'm sure, for those who don't like the album, it was probably even worse.

i really enjoy tracks 1, 5, and 6 on X&Y. yeah, i'm not in the mood to type out song titles.

Yeah, bring the Fresh Prince out of retirement with a gold chip on his shoulder. Coldplay said knock you out.

I don't think I've heard Live 2003. No one talks about Moses much, nor the rest of the album, so I don't assume I'm missing all that much. Maybe when the new album comes out and I'm on a Coldplay high (yes, I'm assuming Mylo & Xotis will be good).

"Rush of Blood" and "Politik" are the real highlights. everything else is just a standard live version.

i just typed out song titles.

See, taking every track on X&Y individually, it almost seems like an OK album:

1. Square One (8/10)
2. What If (8.5/10)
3. White Shadows (7/10)
4. Fix You (3/10)
5. Talk (7.5/10)
6. X&Y (6.5/10)
7. Speed of Sound (6.5/10)
8. A Message (7/10)
9. Low (5/10)
10. The Hardest Part (4/10)
11. Swallowed In The Sea (2/10)
12. Twisted Logic (5/10)
13. Til Kingdom Come (7.5/10)

Average = 6/10. The problem? There are only two songs I return to regularly, some decent/good stuff, and a fistful of hideous crap. And all of the highlights come early. And it's 62 minutes long for some inexplicable reason. Why bother?

mikal said:
"Rush of Blood" and "Politik" are the real highlights. everything else is just a standard live version.

i just typed out song titles.

I've always heard they got a lot better live after the first couple of albums anyway. LeftRightLeftRightLeft got really good reviews, and I like the track listing (Glass of Water live? Yes please). I'll listen to that soon, I think.

I saw them twice on the X&Y tour and they were both fantastic shows.

It was, ironically, also my first exposure to Arcade Fire, as they were in my vicinity, and Martin pointed them out and then talked about how great they were. And thus an obsession was born.

Are we confusing our 80s/90s rappers, LeMel? Do you think all black people look the same? Are you racist like Cobbler? Do you hate women like mikal? (sorry mikal) Do you beat them like vik? (fuck you vik)

Jive Turkey said:
Are we confusing our 80s/90s rappers, LeMel? Do you think all black people look the same? Are you racist like Cobbler? Do you hate women like mikal? (sorry mikal) Do you beat them like vik? (fuck you vik)

Don't question a purist, Jive.

(I will confess to only having heard like two LL Cool J songs in my life though)

See, taking every track on X&Y individually, it almost seems like an OK album...

It is the quintessential album that amounts to less than the sum of its parts. Also, as you say, cutting three or so tracks from it would have benefited the whole project greatly. I do genuinely enjoy Square One, Talk, White Shadows, X&Y, and Speed of Sound, though.

I can't stand Clocks. From the very first time I heard it, I hated it. That piano riff is sounds so forced. And that first leaked version of Talk was better than what ended up on X&Y
Never heard this before, but it's awesome. Thanks!

How has no mentioned The Scientist yet? :heart:

Jive Turkey said:

How come I don't get an apology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom