New Coldplay - "Mylo Xyloto", Oct 24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I much prefer Swallowed over Fix You. Swallowed is an understated, yet moving and pretty little song. Fix You is just unpleasant to listen to sometimes.

But X&Y is a jarring album and not a cohesive collection of songs, and that's the problem for me. The songs are awkward next to each other, even though they may be fantastic on their own. It's all very How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

What If is one of Coldplay's most sincere songs, which aligns the mood of the instrumental and lyrics of the song very sweetly, yet doesn't sound like it belongs between Square 1 and White Shadows in the tracklisting, let alone appear on the same album.

I rather like Fix You. Not a big fan of the verses and the falsetto, and the chorus is kind of annoying .....

Okay, you know, I think I actually just really like the ending of Fix You, when the band kicks in. Then it's really lovely. :)

I will second Parachutes being the best Coldplay album. It doesn't aim as high as Rush of Blood and Viva, but listening to it makes me happy. The production glistens, yet feels comfortable and intimate, and the songs are largely very charming and tuneful. No shame in that at all.

I will second Parachutes being the best Coldplay album. It doesn't aim as high as Rush of Blood and Viva, but listening to it makes me happy. The production glistens, yet feels comfortable and intimate, and the songs are largely very charming and tuneful. No shame in that at all.

I too rank Parachutes as their best effort. For me there is a comfortable margin between it and the next best one, which I suppose would be Viva. Take "Trouble," for example: it floats along with a beautiful, simple piano riff and a lilting guitar, much the same as "Don't Panic." I really do not think that they have ever topped those two songs, if I am honest.

It doesn't aim high at all, which is what I love. Even the lyrics, which are simple, are really good (though Shiver is pretty creepy).

I still remember seeing the Yellow clip for the first time. CMart with short black hair, just walking along a beach at dawn, singing the lyrics. No peroxide, no 800 charity rings on his fingers. Loved it then and still do.

Huey Lewis & Gwyneth's Cruisin' was out then too, which I liked. I think Yellow was #3 and Cruisin' was #2. They weren't together at the time.

corianderstem said:
I rather like Fix You. Not a big fan of the verses and the falsetto, and the chorus is kind of annoying .....

Okay, you know, I think I actually just really like the ending of Fix You, when the band kicks in. Then it's really lovely. :)

Yep I feel the same.

I too rank Parachutes as their best effort. For me there is a comfortable margin between it and the next best one, which I suppose would be Viva. Take "Trouble," for example: it floats along with a beautiful, simple piano riff and a lilting guitar, much the same as "Don't Panic." I really do not think that they have ever topped those two songs, if I am honest.

I love Trouble, very simple like you said. Haven't heard Don't Panic in a while, but that's good stuff as well. Though I think Viva is their best album, followed by A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Wow all the X&Y hate.:tsk: It's one of my favorite Coldplay albums. I thought their last one sucked so I'm hoping they can redeem themselves. I only liked Lovers In Japan (without Reign of Love on the end) and Life In Technicolor ii. Teardrops sucks and it's way too pop for my tastes. Major Minus is epic and I never can get it out of my head every time I listen. Moving To Mars is great too so I do have my hopes for this next album but they have been going really in the mainstream and more pop direction lately.

"Moving to Mars" is really great, my favorite of the three we've heard so far.

This is going to shock absolutely no one, but I'm ridiculously excited for this new album. And shit, it reminded me I'll be seeing them for the sixth time next month.

Wow all the X&Y hate.:tsk: It's one of my favorite Coldplay albums. I thought their last one sucked so I'm hoping they can redeem themselves. I only liked Lovers In Japan (without Reign of Love on the end) and Life In Technicolor ii. Teardrops sucks and it's way too pop for my tastes. Major Minus is epic and I never can get it out of my head every time I listen. Moving To Mars is great too so I do have my hopes for this next album but they have been going really in the mainstream and more pop direction lately.

We all have different tastes, but I respect your opinion about VLV and ETIAW being "suckish" and "way too pop". I personally don't think it's wrong for them to be in the mainstream more often. I think X&Y is kind of "suckish" (some of the songs seem slow to me sometimes), but I only like 5 songs from the album (been listening to it today, as I've never listened to it in full).

I still think Viva is their best effort to date, followed by A Rush of Blood and Parachutes. X&Y doesn't really cut it for me, though. But really looking forward to "Mylo Xyloto" or whatever the new album's called.

I really like both Moving to Mars and Major Minus but I'll be a bit bummed if all three songs from that EP are on the album... seems like releasing the EP would be moot.

I really like both Moving to Mars and Major Minus but I'll be a bit bummed if all three songs from that EP are on the album... seems like releasing the EP would be moot.
Yeah, this. I love MTM, but I'm totally okay with it being a B-side if it means more space on the album for totally new songs.

I'm not crazy about the new single or any of the new songs they've played live, so the kooky title and cover doesn't get my hopes up exactly. Just write some memorable tunes guys.

I also think that Parachutes is Coldplay's best album. I would have gone with Rush of Blood if its second half was of the same standard as the first - the songs are still good but there's still a noticeable dip in quality IMO.

Not sure why one has to try to hate "Fix You". I didn't actually know it until fairly recently, and I really regret the shit I gave the lyrics all this time now. I think it's a great song :shrug:

bono_212 said:
Not sure why one has to try to hate "Fix You". I didn't actually know it until fairly recently, and I really regret the shit I gave the lyrics all this time now. I think it's a great song :shrug:

Well the lyrics are ordinary in my opinion, and it's a pretty damn cheesy song/idea/execution, but I still kinda love it. Same with Every Teardrop, I want to hate it but like many Coldplay songs I still find myself liking it :lol:

I dislike basically everything about Fix You. Everything I dislike about Coldplay rolled into one song.

I'm looking forward to hearing this album, though. Some of the songs sounded pretty good.

Fix You reads like an undercooked Hallmark card to me. I just really dislike that kind of forced, nondescript sentimentality.

I just like when the whole band sings at the end. I've always liked songs like that. Like the chorus to Unknown Caller. like.

I like it when they play music. It sounds good except when they do it badly.

Same here - yeah the lyrics might be cheesy, but it's a great song.

Not a fan of "Fix You", and I do agree that X&Y is probably their weakest album, but it has some pretty great moments: the title track, "Talk" (yeah, it's based on a Kraftwerk song; doesn't make it any less awesome), "A Message", and "Low" chief among them.

Computer Love is one of my favorite Kraftwerk songs, and I like Talk as well. That's just one hell of a riff.

Hipsters like Parachutes best because it's their debut, as well as being their least bombastic. Pretty sure that, among the general population, Rush of Blood would easily win out. I just find the second half of the album really boring, personally. The hits are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom