New Britney?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom in Boston

The Fly
What? No mention of the new Britney album? With lyrics like this, I'm surprised it hasn't even been brought up.

Touch Of My Hand
by Britney Spears

I?m not ashamed of the things that I dream
I find myself flirting with the verge of obscene
Into the unknown, I will be bold
I?m going to places I can be out of control

And I don?t want to explain tonight
All the things I?ve tried to hide
I shut myself out from the world so I
Can draw the blinds and I?ll teach myself to fly

I love myself
It?s not a sin
I can?t control what?s happenin?

?Cause I just discovered
Imagination?s taking over
Another day without a lover
The more I come to understand
The touch of my hand

From the small of my back and the arch of my feet
Lately I?ve been noticin? the beautiful me
I?m all in my skin and I?m not gonna wait
I?m into myself in the most precious way

And I don?t want to explain tonight
All the things I?ve tried to hide
I shut myself out from the world so I
Can draw the blinds and I?ll teach myself to fly

?Cause I just discovered
The touch of my hand

There?s a
And my body is mine
I won?t be left behind
I?m already here

?Cause I just discovered
The touch of my hand

?Cause I just discovered
The touch of my hand

Probably not, because it doesn't sound like it's necessarily explicit, just .. really suggestive. Plus the label and such still want to target her young fanbase, I'm guessing.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/18/review.britneyspears.ap/index.html

Her act is tired-if she really wants to be a SINGER, she should try. Look at those tapes of her on Star Search :wink: , she could sing.

And I'M NOT BASHING HER, NOR AM I JEALOUS OF HER. I think she's a sorry example for young girls, and that's my OPINION, that I think I'm entitled to.

I confess, I want to hear her song w/ Moby it's on Netscape, maybe I'll listen to it I think Moby just produced it, hopefully it's not a duet :D

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
people from billy joel to green day to cindy lauper have songs about masturbation... i don't see what the big deal if britney has one now, too :shrug:

Exactly.

It is kinda amusing, though, that she does have one...

And I personally think putting warning labels on albums to begin with is dumb...but ditto what elevatedmole said.

Angela

The whole "I love myself" bit reminds me off "I Touch Myself"--"I love myself, I want you to love me"...yada yada yada.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Why? Cause we wouldn't want girls to think it's healthy and OK?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here or insult you :)

But do you think that was her motivation for writing that song? I don't claim to know what's inside her head nor do I think I want to :p

I did see her say in one of her interviews that she views masturbation as being "sacred", but I guess it's not too sacred to write a song about :shrug:

Maybe she just wants be "shocking" or "provocative" or like her idol Madonna. I'd say most of her audience must be around the 7-13 age group. I'm old fashioned I guess, but I don't think kids that age should be thinking about that stuff quite yet. If they should be taught that this is preferable to having sex at that age (which I definitely think it is), then I think it should be by their parents, not Britney.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I don't think kids that age should be thinking about that stuff quite yet.

It's something kids do from the time they're toddlers.

I still think the song is awful though (same goes for Cindy Lauper, Billy Joel, and Green Day. :yuck:

MrsSpringsteen said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk here or insult you :)

But do you think that was her motivation for writing that song? I don't claim to know what's inside her head nor do I think I want to :p

I did see her say in one of her interviews that she views masturbation as being "sacred", but I guess it's not too sacred to write a song about :shrug:

Maybe she just wants be "shocking" or "provocative" or like her idol Madonna. I'd say most of her audience must be around the 7-13 age group. I'm old fashioned I guess, but I don't think kids that age should be thinking about that stuff quite yet. If they should be taught that this is preferable to having sex at that age (which I definitely think it is), then I think it should be by their parents, not Britney.

Her intentions don't matter. Intentions don't warrant warning stickers.

Girls 7-13, some won't even understand what she's saying, others may. Masterbation is something I think everyone has done in their life and isn't something that should be treated taboo or something to be swept under the rug. My personal opinion, the song sucks, but good for her, for trying to tackle a subject that kids are being taught to be ashamed of ever since they were kids. This society teaches us that this is a dirty act or even a sin way before we even hit the age of exploration.

Sorry I hang out too much at FYM. Didn't mean to start a debate.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I'd say most of her audience must be around the 7-13 age group. I'm old fashioned I guess, but I don't think kids that age should be thinking about that stuff quite yet. If they should be taught that this is preferable to having sex at that age (which I definitely think it is), then I think it should be by their parents, not Britney.

This is my beef with it :down:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Her intentions don't matter. Intentions don't warrant warning stickers.

Girls 7-13, some won't even understand what she's saying, others may. Masterbation is something I think everyone has done in their life and isn't something that should be treated taboo or something to be swept under the rug. My personal opinion, the song sucks, but good for her, for trying to tackle a subject that kids are being taught to be ashamed of ever since they were kids. This society teaches us that this is a dirty act or even a sin way before we even hit the age of exploration.

Sorry I hang out too much at FYM. Didn't mean to start a debate.

I totally agree with you.

You're exactly right-parents make this topic a shameful one to discuss, so how can kids learn about masturbation from their parents when their parents aren't willing to even discuss it?

They're going to find out about masturbation eventually, might as well be open with them about it now.

Angela

so should she not try to "grow" as a musician because a lot of 7-13 year old girls like her music? crap who cares... i grew up on billy joel, being from long island... i knew of the song "just a fantasy" when i was 8-9 years old... didn't know exactly what it meant... but hey, does that mean he shouldn't have written it? green day's dookie came out around '93... when i was 13... longview was a single off that album... blatently about wankin' it. a lot of middle school aged kids loved green day when they first came out... so does that mean they shouldn't get to perform a song about whatever they please? britney may have a big fan base of 9-13 year olds, but that doesn't mean she has to go up and sing about big bird and my little pony. if she wants to touch herself and sing about? more power to her

In an ideal world, kids would learn about sex and masturbation from their parents...but this is not an ideal world and kids learn an awful lot from friends and from music and movies. I would much rather have them hear a song about masturbation than "hit me baby one more time." :eyebrow:

Girls in middle school are already giving oral sex...this isn't exactly a shocking topic to them.

So "growing as a musician" means writing songs about touching yourself? In my opinion-no

If she really wanted to grow as a musician , she would change her tired act, not rely on her outfits and sexiness, and SING live rather than lip synching. I have never seen her ONCE do that, and I have read that she lip synchs even in concert.

Yes, I'm well aware that this is not an ideal world and that kids are engaging in sex, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. And I don't think parents should abdicate their responsibility and just accept it.

I also agree with Headache and BAW. Britney is a grown woman and should be allowed to make whatever 'music' she wants to. If you don't like it, don't listen. If you don't want your kids listening to it, then you've got to do what you can as a parent to keep them from listening to it.

Back
Top Bottom