Net Flix? Good, Bad? Any Opinions on this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
:hmm:I was considering signing up since I don't subscribe to a premium cable channel and I like to only watch good movies at my time and at choice.

Anyone here tried this service ?
You get 3 movies on DVD a month mailed to you and you mail them back for 17.99 postage included with NO LATE FEES. sexy.:)

Thoughts?

Are Blockbuster mad at these people?:sexywink:

db9

Last edited:
i dont think a person can go wrong..if u can cancel it at anytime, which im not ceratin.

db9

Here in the UK I subscribe to screenselect which offer a similar service. Signed up 12 months ago and I'm already onto my 134th dvd ('Infernal Affairs' last night). These kind of rental servies are excellent for world cinema titles and indie movies you normally wouldn't come aross on tv or your local rental store.

As for netflix, I'm a member of the forum over at rottentomatoes.com and the American folk there claim neflix to be the best of the bunch. It's like there saviour from mundane cable shows.

diamond said:
i dont think a person can go wrong..if u can cancel it at anytime, which im not ceratin.

db9

I just checked netflix. And yes, like screenselect, you can cancel anytime you like. Why not try the 2-week free trial first? Then if you're unhappy with the service just cancel 24 hours (to be on the safe side) before it runs out and then return the dvds.

I agree with Salpnutz - it's great for the nontraditional titles. They also do that 'if you liked that you might like this' list which is helpful when you are looking for something new.

I also liked the fact that you can get whole seasons of old shows and move your list around in different orders as you change your mind. The mailing doesn't take as long as you would think either.

I think it's a great idea for those who like to watch a lot of movies. Video-on-Demand (VoD) is just not powerful enough.

Melon

I've been using Netflix for 4 or 5 months, and I really don't think you can beat it. The only drawback comes when you would like to watch a certain movie right NOW, but you have a couple days for it to arrive. The pluses, though, like convenience and selection, outweigh that, if you ask me.

well looks like u folks helped me make up my mind.

im thinking the 2 at a time is the best program for me.

just in case one movie 'blows'.

:)

db9

Keep track of your dvd viewing. It may seem like a great deal for the first couple of months, but if you get busy with other things and stop watching movies - the money still drains from your account.

nbcrusader said:
Keep track of your dvd viewing. It may seem like a great deal for the first couple of months, but if you get busy with other things and stop watching movies - the money still drains from your account.

Agreed. Netflix is great if you have the time to watch the movies each month, but if you find your viewing goes down, it wouldn't be worth it.

well..
i think 4 movies a month isnt obsessive.

it will get be off the blue crack:sexywink:

db9

I have Blockbuster but that's only because when I signed up I got a free DVD. You also get two monthly coupons to use at an actual store.

I've used netflix and they have a wider selection than Blockbuster.

I'm lucky that my blockbuster office that sends them out to me is only 20 miles away so it doesn't take me long to get my DVDs.

I absolutely love it. Even though I travel a lot and probably if I did the math I might find that I spend a little more some months than I normally would because I haven't had time to watch the movies, I love the service and convenience so much that I stopped tracking whether or not I got my money's worth each month. Plus going to my local video store is so depressing--just the whole vibe there and the people who work there creep me out. I loved coming home from a trip last weekend and finding 3 movies in my mailbox. Mine generally arrive a day earlier than they say it will, nearly always within 2-3 days.

yes yes got my first 2 last nite a day early.
they are smart that way under promising and over delivering.

that philosophy works so well in many facets of life:sexywink:

db9

I :heart: Netflix. I really, really do.
I've tried other services like Wal-Mart and Blockbuster but both have a longer turn around. Blockbuster was the worst. Sometimes it took over a week before I got the disks. I usually get the Netflix movies the day after they send them. Walmart and Blockbuster also are somewhat limited in their selection. Sometimes there's a few weeks worth of a wait for some of the new releases, whereas I've never had to wait for any of the Netflix disks.
So, yeah, in short, I :heart: Netflix. I sound like a commercial.

Im really really liking the NetFlix program.
So far I have watched:

-Lemony Snicket
-The Hours
-Maria Full of Grace
-The Secretary
-Rabbit Proof Fence

db9

:lol: I have over 130 in my queue right now. If I had more sit down time at work I'd probably be at the 500 mark by now...

Angela Harlem said:
Completely unrelated, but what did you think of Rabbit Proof Fence?

loved it:up:

notwithstanding the blatant racism..

one should never seperate babies from parents who love them.

as a parent you proably understand this quite well anna.:hug:

db9

Last edited:
U2Girl1978 said:
I've used NetFlix for about 2 yrs now. You don't want to know how many movies I have in my queue. :reject:

90 :reject:
same with my ex! i've always been used to watching his netflix movies, i think i may have to sign up for it myself!

the only complaint i have about netflix isn't even their fault. at the post office hub here we've got (lots, seriously) of employees with sticky fingers. if he reports any more dvds as missing/stolen, his account will be suspended. (this is in addition to the many missing packages, letters, and bills over the past three years.)

but that's memphis for you. :cool:

Hey...I've been thinking of trying out Netflix, but here's a question for you all:

A lot of TV shows, etc. are multi-disc sets, and looking at the way they show these, does a show, for instance, that has a 7-disc set get counted as "one DVD" or would you only get 3 discs at a time (or whatever your alloted number is)?

Melon

diamond said:

loved it:up:

notwithstanding the blatant racism..

one should never seperate babies from parents who love them.

as a parent you proably understand this quite well anna.:hug:

db9

thanks mate :hug:
Hard to believe that this was occuring as recently as the 60s. Glad you liked it.

Each disk in the set counts as one movie out. But you can separate the disks so that you don't get them all at the same time.

diamond said:
Im really really liking the NetFlix program.
So far I have watched:

-Lemony Snicket
-The Hours
-Maria Full of Grace
-The Secretary
-Rabbit Proof Fence

db9

Love Netflix, I've had it for years.....

Hey D...how was "The Secretary"...I have it in queue.....
Later...

Back
Top Bottom