Neil Young - Let's Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screaming Flower

ONE love, blood, life
i just downloaded this from audiogalaxy. it's inspired by some of todd beamer's last words on flight 93. the lyrics are pretty intense and the cell phone ringing at the beginning gave me chills. it made me cry at work, which is always a little embarrassing.

has anyone else heard this yet?

well, it's supposed to be a song from the perspective of the people on flight 93 - basically their last moments calling loved ones. kind of like an explanation of what was happening to them on the plane and the thoughts that were behind their decision to rush the cockpit. that's my guess anyway. you hear a cell phone ring as the song starts and it's just really spooky. the words are really powerful but also really sad.

I love Neil and haven't heard about this yet--please tell us more!

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

apparently he just wrote it about a month ago. at the moment he doesn't plan on releasing it because he said he doesn't want to be seen as cashing on 9/11. he just sent it to all the radio stations. here's an article about it.

New Neil Young song inspired by doomed passengers

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rock legend Neil Young has written and recorded a song about the passengers who fought back against their Sept. 11 hijackers -- a song described by one record company executive ``as so chilling you feel like you are on that plane.''

The song, a salute to heroism called ``Let's Roll,'' was shipped to radio stations this week but will not be sold in stores, Young's recording company Reprise Records said Wednesday.

It was inspired by the passengers on United Airlines Flight 93 on Sept. 11 who apparently decided to fight back against their hijackers after hearing by telephone of the three suicide plane attacks earlier that day on the Pentagon (news - web sites) and the World Trade Center.

Flight 93 crashed into a Pennsylvania field shortly after passenger Todd Beamer was heard on an onboard phone telling fellow passengers ``Let's Roll''.

Young wrote the song after reading a newspaper article about Beamer and recorded it two weeks ago. It was sent out to radio stations around the nation and is now getting airplay.

``It's a Neil Young song all the way. It starts kinda ominously. You can hear cell phones ringing,'' said Reprise spokesman Bill Bentley.

``I got the chills when I heard it. You feel like you are on that plane,'' Bentley said.

Bentley said the song would not be available commercially, although it may appear on Young's next album, which is due out in February or March.

``Neil felt this song, and wanted it to be heard. But he thought that commercializing it would be the wrong way to go,'' he said.

``Let's Roll'' joins a number of charity singles and re-releases of patriotic songs following the Sept. 11 attacks, including new recordings by Michael Jackson and former Beatle Paul McCartney.

Reuters/Variety REUTERS

[This message has been edited by Screaming Flower (edited 12-06-2001).]

Let's Roll
by Neil Young

I know I said I love you,
I know you know it's true,
I got to put the phone down,
And do what we gotta do.

One's standing in the aisle way,
Two more at the door,
We got to get inside there,
Before they kill some more.

Time is runnin' out, let's roll.

No time for indecision,
We got to make a move,
I hope that we're forgiven,
For what we gotta do.

How this all got started,
I'll never understand,
I hope someone can fly this thing,
Get us back to land.

No one has the answers,
But one thing is true,
You got to turn on evil,
When it's comin' after you.

You got to face it down,
And when it tries to hide,
You got to go in after it,
And never be denied.

Let's roll for freedom,
Let's roll for love,
Goin' after Satan,
On the wings of a dove.

Let's roll for justice,
Let's roll for truth,
Let's not let our children,
Grow up fearful in their youth.

Wow--sounds amazing. But that's what I come to expect from Neil. I was at the crash site for Flight 93 over Thanksgiving--pretty intense, especially since it happened a quarter mile from my great aunt's farm. It's pretty much on the property...

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there

Peace George

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
I was at the crash site for Flight 93 over Thanksgiving--pretty intense, especially since it happened a quarter mile from my great aunt's farm. It's pretty much on the property...

that had to be surreal.

Yes, being there was pretty intense. I singed the wall at the memorial...people had pictures of their family up--it was awful...

------------------

Peace George

Back
Top Bottom