Neil Young Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Cinnamon Girl
Helpless
Ohio
The Needle And The Damage Done
Heart Of Gold
Old Man
Like A Hurricane
Rockin' In The Free World

Just to name a few. Gotta love it.

:drool:

after the gold rush
hey hey my my
my my hey hey
southern man
Sugar Mountain
When You Dance I Can Really Love
powderfinger
cortez the killer

Just to name a few more

:drool:

namkcuR said:
How can this only have gotten two responses? It's Neil Young!

I like Neil Young.

I especially like that he's a cranky old bastard. :)

Gotta listen to him some more (some great song choices listed in the posts above :yes: ).

WILL TO LOVE
DOWN BY THE RIVER
DANGERBIRD
SLEEPS WITH ANGELS
OHIO
THRASHER
HARVEST
COMPUTER COWBOY (AKA SYSCRUSHER)
RAZOR LOVE
LOVE TO BURN
SAMPLE AND HOLD
NOWADAYS CLANCY CAN'T EVEN SING

NEIL SIGNS A NEW MULTI RECORD DEAL WITH REPRISE!!!NEW CD OUT SEPTEMBER 27!!!!

PS. HE IS A CRANKY OLD BASTARD. HE USED TO BE A CRANKY YOUNG BASTARD.:wink:

Last edited:
indra said:
I like Neil Young.

I especially like that he's a cranky old bastard. :)

Gotta listen to him some more (some great song choices listed in the posts above :yes: ).

Ditto this entire post :). I only really know his more well-known stuff, but I do like what I've heard :yes:. He's cool.

A song I didn't see mentioned that I would like to add: "Harvest Moon" :heart:. Love that song. Good memories associated with it, too :).

Angela

Keep on Rocking in the Free World and Ohio might be some of the most infulential protest songs ever. Right behind that Buffalo Springfeild one.

I love "For What It's Worth".

Anybody see any of Neil's films? The man's music is incredible, but....actually I'm kind of fond of the films, but as one blurb on the video box for "Human Highway" said, "So bad, it's destined to become a classic." They are priceless for "What the fuck?"

Great line about him in Stephen Stills's new CD "Man Alive". In Round the Bend, he calls him "Hard as Canadian black ice."

Always thought there was a great dynamic between him and Stills.

Last edited:
I appreciate Young's mellower stuff, but the guy is an electric guitar god, so I'm a bit partial to the noisier material. My desert island N.Y. disc would be Weld, because this man is a monster on the stage, and it has his earlier classics like Hey Hey My My, Cortez the Killer & Like a Hurricane alongside newer standouts from Ragged Glory & Freedom. Live Rust is great too but you don't get any of the more recent material.

As for studio albums, I like Freedom a lot (Crime in the City rules), as well as Sleeps With Angels and the very underrated Broken Arrow.

BonosSaint said:

Anybody see any of Neil's films? The man's music is incredible, but....actually I'm kind of fond of the films, but as one blurb on the video box for "Human Highway" said, "So bad, it's destined to become a classic." They are priceless for "What the fuck?"

:lmao:

That sounds like my kind of film! That's gonna be on my list. :yes:

And I guess I just have a real soft spot for cranky bastards. :)

indra said:

:lmao:

That sounds like my kind of film! That's gonna be on my list. :yes:

And I guess I just have a real soft spot for cranky bastards. :)
:lol:
I,m not even gonna mention S.K here.:giggle:

He never rests on his laurels, always morphing, but always distinctly Neil Young. He can take almost anybody down when he chooses to. His stage presence is mesmerizing, can't take your eyes off of him--ever.

Harry Vest brought up meeting him in another thread. Love to hear the stories. He's elusive. Came this close one time, but when he wants to be, he's a shadow.

Fave album 'after the goldrush'
Saw brilliant film some years back by Jim Jarmusch (is that how you spell it?) had some of the most intense live footage i have ever seen of anybody
anywhere
ever:combust:
:combust:

blueeyedgirl said:
Neil Young's music could be improved if Neil Young didn't sing on it. Nasally twit!

I actually like Neil's voice. :shrug:

Don't much care for Dylan's though. He has some great songs, but his voice can be a bit too much for me.

reptile said:

:lol:
I,m not even gonna mention S.K here.:giggle:

It's one of his most endearing qualities! :yes: :D

I don't mind his voice, either, personally. Course, then again, I also listen to Tom Petty, so I'm used to the whole nasal thing :p. Heh.

BonosSaint said:
"Harvest Moon" is the musical background for my screensaver.:wink:

:up:. And I'll agree with the protest songs, too-"Ohio", "For What It's Worth", "Rockin' In The Free World"...good stuff :yes:.

Haven't seen any of these movies people are referring to, though, but I have heard comments about them. They do seem odd.

Angela

Don' t think too many people have seen the movies.:huh:

Apparently he bought himself a Super 8 one day.

Journey Through the Past--indra should love this one. One of the ultimate stoner films. Let's see the best word to describe it--uh, meandering. It's a great film to watch at a midnight showing. Actually I like the film a lot once you get past the point you're not going to really find a point--great footage of young Neil, young CSN. Great scene with this guy walking slowly beside his driverless moving car on the beach, talking to it like you would to a friend on a slow walk on the beach. I'm not describing it well, but it's pretty funny. (In my defense, his films do defy description:| )

Human Highway--Jerry Lewis on honey slides? Neil plays a really dorky, inept gas station/mechanic named Lionel Switch. (Aside, my good little businessman musician owns 20% of Lionel Trains. Major model train fanatic. He even designed a few things for them) Noted for its rather bizarre use of Devo as workers at a nearby nuke plant. The movie is pretty slapstick. But it's got that Neil dreamlike, weird quality about it.

(Next aside: some of Devo used to be advertising guys who were working on an ad campaign for rust remover, using the line "Rust Never Sleeps" in its ad. Voila, Hey, Hey, My, My or
My, My, Hey, Hey whichever version you prefer.)

Greendale--Hey, it has a plot. None of the actors have any speaking parts. They act out to the soundtrack. It's actually better than it sounds. Started out not liking the CD, but it grew on me.

The guy is pretty funny, though. Don't believe humor is one of the first things people think about when they think about Neil Young, but listening to him over the years from whatever bootlegs I can get my hands on, a lot of his asides are hilarious, dry, slow. Perceptive. Anecdotal. But he can kill you with that perfect line.

I don't think he is always consistent on record, but I always, always look forward to what he is going to do. And some of the records I've hated the most are the ones I end up cherishing the most. He takes second and third listens to catch the nuance.
(However, I'm not going to pretend all of it is great. Just enough of it is.)

(Next aside. One time, drug agents were searching his boat, while he is chatting with them, rolling around marijuana seeds on the table as he is talking. Oddly enough, they did not find anything.)

I think his voice is what first attracted me, then his attitude intrigued me, then I fell for the guitar. To quote his friend Stephen Stills, he is an "enigma of intuition".

He can be a hardass, though. He is an extraordinary blend.
A definite original. I kind of like when the guy who wrote Shakey got Neil's approval to do the book. He sent him to talk to all the people who were angry with him. He said if you're going to do the book, might as well get the whole picture. Then he sued to delay publication. Nobody said it was easy to deal with him.
:wink:

^ Yep. I think I need to get into NY more.... He sounds great. I rather like the nutty genius type. :)

Back
Top Bottom