Need some song recommendations on these artists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevatedmole

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I need one or two song suggestions for each of these artists..

TATU (I've heard All The Things She Said, and liked it quite a bit, but not interested enough in buying an album.. yet)
Electric Soft Parade
JJ72
Ryan Adams (heard a couple songs -- New York, New York, and Nuclear -- but like above with TATU, I need something more to get excited enough to want to buy it)
Ed Harcourt
Daniel Lanois (just want to get an idea what his music sounds like)
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Silverchair

Thanks. :wave:

JJ72 - Snow, Oxygen, October Swimmer
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Love Burns, Whatever Happened to our Rock and Roll, Red Eyes And Tears, Spread Your Love

I will touch on the Ryan Adams stuff

-anything from Heartbreaker is excellent, you can really tell he is heavily influenced by Dylan on this album
- I really love Dear Chicago from Demolition, great track
- from Gold, Ny, Ny is good, Stars go blue is better, actually I need to listen to this again.....
- if you like Heartbreaker then try Whiskeytown, his first band, lots of great stuff there.....:wink:

Silverchair--Diorama. The best one. "Neon Ballroom" is great too...ok, everything they've done is good.

Favourite tracks off "Diorama": "Luv Your Life," "The Greatest View," "The Lever," "Tuna In The Brine," "Across The Night," "After All These Years."

The second track on the Ryan Adams cd that has "Nuclear" on it is good.

Ed Harcourt -- She Fell Into My Arms, Apple of My Eye, Shanghai, I've Become Misguided and if you can find them "Watching the Sun Come Up" and "Alligator Boy" I highly recommend the videos on his site too. His videos are hilarious!

JJ72 -- what u2popmofo said and Algeria and Formulae. I have the new album, but I haven't listened to it yet (just heard Formulae online), so I might have more to recommend later. :) I LOVED them when I saw them live.

Electric Soft Parade -- Silent to the Dark, Empty at the End, There's a Silence, Can't Get You Out of My Head ;)

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club -- US Government, Waiting Here

Ryan Adams--"Call Me On Your Way Back Home," "Answering Bell," "My Winding Wheel" (I'm guessing you've already heard "When the Stars Go Blue")

Daniel Lanois--"Still Water," "The Maker," "Unbreakable Chain", "Under A Stormy Sky"

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
*waits for the resident Ryan Adams expert to come in ;)

*stumbles in, out of breath* Did somebody say "Ryan Adams"??? :D

Most Ryan fans say that Heartbreaker is his best album. Ryan himself has even said such on his message board and during some shows. "Oh My Sweet Carolina" and "Come Pick Me Up" seem to be favorites. I've noticed some fans seem to resent Gold because they think it was a "sell-out" or "mainstream" record, which I think is stupid. My favorite Ryan song is on there, which is "Sylvia Plath", and "La Cienega Just Smiled" may be one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Demolition is my least fave of the three, if I have to rank 'em (I still love it though!), but that was my mom's first Ryan album, and she's crazy over it. "Desire", "Dear Chicago", and "Starting To Hurt" are definitely worth a listen.

Okay, I said more than you wanted to hear, but I get excited when talking about Ryan. :shifty: I'll shut up now.

*looks at April* I WILL shut up now! I swear!!! :D

Last edited:
I never get Sylvia Plath...it's a lovely song yes, but what on earth is he singing about?

As for Tatu, they have one of the worst marketing gimmicks ever. They've also managed to mangle the Smiths' How Soon Is Now, and I find them a bit annoying. All The Things She Said is great though. You could try the other single 'Not Gonna Get Us'.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I never get Sylvia Plath...it's a lovely song yes, but what on earth is he singing about?

Mmmm...well, you know how it is about music. Songs mean different things to different people and can have different interpretations. I see it as though he's singing about the perfect woman, but his vision of her is not what most would see as "perfect". Most would view many of the qualities he loves about her as being flaws. A very pretty and sad song...there's definitely a sense of longing.

Of course, that may not be what he intended the song to be seen as...but that's okay.

Bonochick said:

Mmmm...well, you know how it is about music. Songs mean different things to different people and can have different interpretations. I see it as though he's singing about the perfect woman, but his vision of her is not what most would see as "perfect". Most would view many of the qualities he loves about her as being flaws. A very pretty and sad song...there's definitely a sense of longing.

Of course, that may not be what he intended the song to be seen as...but that's okay.

Always thought that song was interesting...because to him she's so desireable but actually Sylvia Plath was one of those women who was considered kinda :coocoo:.

anyway....

Ryan Adams: To Be Young, Come Pick Me Up, She Wants to Play Hearts, Dear Chicago, Memories of You, La Cienega Just Smiled, Wild Flowers, Harder Now That It's Over, and Touch, Feel, Lose

Ed Harcourt: Apple of my Eye, Shanghai, God Protect Your Soul, Those Crimson Tears, Hanging WIth the Wrong Crowd

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: WHatever Happened to My Rock n Roll?, love Burns, Awake, Too Real

:tongue:

I'm really lame as I only know what Silverchair have done off that list. Their early stuff is heavier I think, but I haven't heard much off Diorama.
From the Frogstomp album, go for Irael's Son, Pure Massacre, Suicidal Dream is a good one, but I dont recommend it if you are sensitive to the subject. It could be upsetting as its rather graphic.
Neon Ballroom's best was Anthem for the year 2000, but I haven't heard that album in a long time so I'll leave it at that and Ana's Song.

yertle-the-turtle said:

As for Tatu, they have one of the worst marketing gimmicks ever. They've also managed to mangle the Smiths' How Soon Is Now, and I find them a bit annoying.

YES!! I hate that cover! :mad: :mad:

i really wonder if the tatu girls are really just complete marketing tools and not really lesbians.

According to grandma of one of the TATU girls, back in their home town there were always a lot of boys around them.

In an interview I read they said they were friends.

:shrug:

Oh, I should have mentioned this about Ryan too...

You can listen his songs at his official site: http://www.ryan-adams.com. When you go to the site, click on "Records" from the menu on the right, and then click on where it says "Here" in the box. Then select the album you want, and the tracklisting comes up for you to choose from.

Last edited:
Flag Pole Pear said:
i really wonder if the tatu girls are really just complete marketing tools and not really lesbians.

Yeah, I've wondered too.

They're starting to get on my nerves, but I just listed them because I happened to like All the Things She Said and was sort of interested in them.

Anyway.. I haven't had much time to download yet but I've downloaded B.R.M.C.'s Love Burns, Too Real, and Whatever Happened to My Rock'n'Roll, and really liked them. Thanks for the suggestions everyone :D Ryan Adams stuff next, I think..

Just had to say I picked up Gold a couple days ago -- very nice so far. :D I'd list my favourites, but really, it's half the album, lol. Thanks Bonochick! Your obsession made me interested in his music in the first place. ;)

Back
Top Bottom