Need book help/recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
:wave:

My daughter Maddy (11) has a book report coming up next month. The theme/subject for the report is Biography. She came home today and told me she had chosen her subject. Can you guess? BONO (that's my girl!)

So... for those who've read many books about him or the band, can you recommend any she should check out? Or any she should stay away from?

Thanks!
Proud Mom

bono%20original.jpg

Laura Jackson's "Bono: His Life, His Music, His Passion" (or something very much like that) is a great choice! It's very easy to read, covers pretty much his entire career so far (2004 I think it was published), and explores his life outside of U2 better than most U2/Bono biographies do, in my opinion. Check it out. ;)

The early chapters of "The Unforgettable Fire" by Eamon Dunphy detail both his parents' lives, how "radical" their marriage was (Catholic/Protestant), and Bono growing up straight on through the release of JT. Gives you really good insight into who he is & why he is.

A handful of details in the book (and it's full of details, so a handful IMO isn't huge) have been questioned by Neil McCormick, but I personally find half of what Neil says pretty questionable anyway. :shrug:

Lancemc said:
Laura Jackson's "Bono: His Life, His Music, His Passion" (or something very much like that) is a great choice! It's very easy to read, covers pretty much his entire career so far (2004 I think it was published), and explores his life outside of U2 better than most U2/Bono biographies do, in my opinion. Check it out. ;)

thanks for the help - I will look into this one over the weekend.

Maddy said she needs to know more about his impact on the world vs. where he was born, grew up, etc. If this doesn't work out, her backup may be John Lennon :bow:

Lila, both of those are excellent recommendations for biographical info. The Jackson book wouldn't be very good for a hardcore fan, as it doesn't include much that we don't already know, but for a beginner it's good. However, I suspect you've tutored her well. :wink: The Dunphy book is even better, with more details and background, and covers up to the Joshua Tree era.

If it's worldview and influence she's looking for though, Bono: In Conversation that would best serve this purpose. Maddy's intelligent, I'm sure she could handle it.

Keep us updated on what she decides! :)

I wasn't sure if "Bono: In Conversation" would be appropriate for her, with some of the language used... But I do have it here (the only book I have :reject: ) I do have 1 other, about U2 songs...

Lila64 said:
I wasn't sure if "Bono: In Conversation" would be appropriate for her, with some of the language used... But I do have it here (the only book I have :reject: ) I do have 1 other, about U2 songs...

Well, I guess it would depend on how hung up on language you are. For me, the answer would be "not at all, they've heard it all on the school grounds."

I read the book very quickly over once last summer...and I don't recall it being all that bad for language. Put it this way, if you let her come on here, I'm sure she'll be fine with the book. :wink: If it's any solace, I wouldn't hesitate to let my kid read it...the lessons learned are far more important than the language. :up:

Given the fact that she is eleven years old I think the Laura Jackson book would be perfect for her. It's simple enough, straight forward and would be appropriate for her reading level and theme of her paper.

PS--You seem like a very cool mum! :up: John Lennon and Bono, you've taught the youngin' well.

Well, I'm currently reading the book "Bono, by Bono", the interview he had the french writter. But at 11, I'm not sure she'll understand it fully... It's very interesting anyway.

vervex said:
Well, I'm currently reading the book "Bono, by Bono", the interview he had the french writter. But at 11, I'm not sure she'll understand it fully... It's very interesting anyway.

Yeah, that's the "Bono: In Conversation..." book. For some reason, it has a few different titles.

Very good book...But I agree, it may not be ideal for a biography report. It gives you a great deal of his insights, but it doesn't have quite as many factual details that would probably be required for a biography report.

Lila64 said:

thanks for the help - I will look into this one over the weekend.

Maddy said she needs to know more about his impact on the world vs. where he was born, grew up, etc. If this doesn't work out, her backup may be John Lennon :bow:

I have to suggest Bono: His Life, Music and Passion as well. It's a little easier going then some of the other Bono biographies out there. The information is accurate and it doesn't have a lot of rock and roll lifestyle (for lack of a better term) that may not be appropriate or necessary for an 11 year old's report. :up:

Utoo said:

Yeah, that's the "Bono: In Conversation..." book. For some reason, it has a few different titles.

Very good book...But I agree, it may not be ideal for a biography report. It gives you a great deal of his insights, but it doesn't have quite as many factual details that would probably be required for a biography report.

I think it's Bono in Conversation in the USA only. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I looked up the Laura Jackson book on a couple of sites, and no one had it - it might be out of print. I checked my library's inventory online, but it wasn't listed. Barnes & Noble had authorized sellers with a used paperback copy for $1.99 + $3.49 for s/h, so I went for it. And maybe I'll get to read it too :wink:

I was going to pipe up a recommendation of the Laura Jackson book for Maddy. I bet she would grow bored and/or frustrated trying to get thru Flannagan's book or even with In Conversation cuz those are so long and in depth. Regardless, Like mother, like daughter.....I am sure she will do just fine and we will need to know how the report turns out!! :up:

Back
Top Bottom