Need a recommendation for a good classic blues album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about a compilation of various old artists, but you can't get much older than Robert Johnson. There are also good retrospectives for Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker. B.B. King is of course great and his Live at the Regal is a great choice.

I've always wondered this. I have a few Robert Johnson songs, and that BB King/Eric Clapton collaboration (dunno if that counts), and I like old blues stuff when I hear it...but I don't have any actual albums and don't know where to start.

so I will take note of the suggestions too. :shifty:

VertigoGal said:
I've always wondered this. I have a few Robert Johnson songs, and that BB King/Eric Clapton collaboration (dunno if that counts), and I like old blues stuff when I hear it...but I don't have any actual albums and don't know where to start.

so I will take note of the suggestions too. :shifty:

Robert Johnson actually only has about 30 songs that anyone knows about (I am sure someone here knows the exact number) so he is pretty easy, you can actually get all of his known recordings on two CDs.

I actually quite enjoy the BB/Clapton CD as well. But I really would go for Muddy Waters. He has two retrospectives, both titled His Best but with different years. Both essential; you know he influenced the Rolling Stones (got their name from one of his songs).

U2democrat said:
The specific kind of blues I like is the old, Mississippi Delta, with old guitars, glass slides, deep voices filled with heartache but also hope.

Then you will really like John Lee Hooker. Can't get anymore delta and DEEP voice than him. "Boom Boom Boom"

Check out the snippets on Amazon for The Very Best of John Lee Hooker. His voice gets deeper the later you get in the album (as he gets older).

I'm Bad Like Jesse James has to be one of the most chilling murder songs ever. :drool:

U2democrat said:
The specific kind of blues I like is the old, Mississippi Delta, with old guitars, glass slides, deep voices filled with heartache but also hope.

ah, well then, jelly roll might be too new orleans ragtime for you...
try some peetie wheatstraw and blind lemon jefferson as well as robert johnson... they are all spectacular!:wink:

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming! I want to add blues to my collection of music, I've always enjoyed listening to it I've just never bought any albums.

U2democrat said:
bsp77-what do you know of elmore james? He has the slide style that I love too.

Sorry, don't know much, but Jelly Roll Morton is a good suggestion.

U2dem, there are so many fine blues albums out there.. a late 80s album by John Lee Hooker being "The Healer". there are old live performances you would need to dig out. best thing is if you go to a specialized blues record shop, do you have any of these in your area?

i would also recommend some piano blues - professor longhair - the complete london concert, recorded 1976 (JSP records) and definitely try to find some james booker.. maybe here http://www.rykodisc.com/Catalog/dump/rykoalbums_140.asp

or here
http://www.rhapsody.com/jamesbooker/spidersonthekeysrecordedliveatthemaple

and the album the piano prince from new orleans, also james booker. its a classic.

and get some robert cray.

you might be able to find some jelly roll morton on folkways records
and get some dr. john
and big joe williams

Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Bluesman - great CD!!!!

Back
Top Bottom