NBA Playoff Time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i refer to my previous statements... i consider most basketball in the NBA to be pathetic these days. the pistons are the poster boys for that... there is a reason, after all, why the United States, filled with NBA all stars and MVP candidates, won only a bronze medal... losing to a bunch of teams who if you pooled them togther, the best player you could find is Balki Bartakamous himself... Manu Ginobili. Nothing against Manu, but this just simply should not happen.

The Pistons simply cannot score. Period. They go into HUGE scoring droughts, where they go 5-10 minutes at a team without scoring a field goal. They were a sub-par champion in a sub-par league.

What you have posted about is this leagues inability to make a jump shot. You make fun of Manu, but at least he can make a mid ranged jump shot as well as dunk over people.

I'm going to agree with Namekur here and say the Pistons make it to the Championship vs. the Spurs. Part of it is Shaq's hip etc. But when this team wins, they win because of defense and that often leads into their offense. This is true of the Suns as well. Problem is, the spurs get back on defense. Duncan is better than Dirk. Manu is better than Stackhouse and Howard.

This is not to say I disagree with you on something. I can agree this Pistons team wouldn't come close to teams of old. The NBA is a sad league these days. Remember teams like Cleveland, Portland, Seattle even with Kemp and Payton? Too bad they played then and not now.

I like tayshawn prince

Got Philk? said:

What you have posted about is this leagues inability to make a jump shot. You make fun of Manu, but at least he can make a mid ranged jump shot as well as dunk over people.

i make fun of manu because he looks like baki... i'd love to have him on my team... that said, he's the second best, arguably the third best behind parker, on the spurs... and he was the best player a team of NBA all stars faced in the olympics.

nothing against manu, but that's pathetic.

ahhh and on to the detroit pistons... so much for the poise of a champion. two T's in the 4th quarter when the game was still in doubt.

detroit fouls on every possesion. offense and defense. for them to ever complain about a foul call is like the patriots complaining about defensive pass interference.... silly and stupid.

i never picked up on this before, because normaly when the pistons are on i stick forks into my eyeballs so as not to watch the ugliness... but my friend pointed it out to me the other day, and i've watched it very closely ever since... richard hamilton commits a blatent offensive foul every time he puts the ball to the floor. watch him... you may not notice it now... but before you argue that i'm wrong, watch him next time... watch the pushoff. it's there... every time. every damn time.

"i'm just out there givinging my 40%"
-the big aristotle

this series rests on wether or not shaq and alonzo can go on short rest. if they can, detroit can't win. if they struggle, detroit still has a chance.

and one last thing... it's sad when the defending nba champion is down 9 points with 3 minutes to go and you know the game is over because, short of miami self imploding, detroit simply can't score 10 points in 3 minutes. sad sad sad. and people still have the nerve to compare richard hamilton to reggie miller... reggie miller could come back from down 10 points in 30 seconds by himself... the pistons can't do it as a team without a lot of help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the championship, Larry.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out. :madspit:

050531_quickie.jpg

Last edited:

i make fun of manu because he looks like baki... .

nothing against manu, but that's pathetic.

:mad:

Manu led the team that won the gold medal at the Olympics against those snobbish NBA all-stars that could not play as a team.

Some people complain (e.g., George Karl) that he is hard to referee, that he gets all the calls and blah, blah, blah. The story is that he is kicking pretty much every guard's butt this year and he is still underrated, in my humble opinion.

I also think that the Spurs will win the series but my guess is Spurs 4, Suns 2. I hate the fact that you read the reviews on the press today and everyone talks about the Suns' new life, even though they are still down 3 to 1... and my hope is that the Spurs do not behave like the Yankees did last year.

larry brown... ever the douche... has reportedly agreed to take the job of president of the cleveland cavs... marking the second time in 4 years that he's screwed over his team for another team in the same division.

He is apparently sick and that is why he wants to stop being coach and focus on a more 'relaxed' job...

U2@NYC said:

He is apparently sick and that is why he wants to stop being coach and focus on a more 'relaxed' job...

larry brown has bailed out of every job he's ever had before his contract has been up... he's done it to indiana, philly and now detroit... in two years when another coaching job opens up, perhaps the long beach high school boys varsity job, he'll bail out on cleveland, too.

it's what he does.

U2@NYC said:

:mad:

Manu led the team that won the gold medal at the Olympics against those snobbish NBA all-stars that could not play as a team.

to assume the american team lost just because they could not play "as a team" doesn't put enough emphasis on the real problem... lack of fundamental skills.

tim duncan was on that team... as fundamentaly skilled as anyone... but he was double and triple teamed on every play. the world teams could do that to duncan because there wasn't a single player on the american team who could knock down a peremeter jumper. with the extended international foul lane and the shorter international three point line, it effectively made duncan, and to a lesser degree amare stoudamire, useless.

all the americans had to do was add a dead-eye outside shooter to that team, and you then can't pack it in on duncan because you'll get killed from the outside... any one of these guys...

michael redd, j.j. reddick, fred hoiberg, alan houston, kirk heinrich, jesus shuttlesworth... any guy who's automatic from downtown and the US wins the gold medeal... if you put 2 guys on duncan, and one guy taking away the peremeter shooter... you can't possiably stop the other three guys with the remaining 2 defenders... especially three players of the caliber that the americans had. it's simple math.

it was a poorly put together team... put together largely by the new president of basketball operations of the cleveland cavs.

how long till lebron bolts?

Last edited:
I feel sorry for any team that that associates itself with Larry Brown. The guy is a very good coach but that is negated by the fact that no one can ever rely on him to stay around in any one place for the long term. It is his M.O. and he has done it again. He gets bored, he gets what in his eyes is a better offer, the grass is greener on the other side, blah blah, BOLT. He's like the guy who runs away from every one of his romantic relationships the minute is gets serious because he has issues with commitment. The angst of not knowing when Larry Brown decides it's time to go to the next place is not worth having him on your team.

Oh, and he's also quite possibly the dullest, most boring post-game podium speaker ever. I mean, after every single game, when he's at the podium, he always sounds like he's constipated and on valium.

Last edited:

to assume the american team lost just because they could not play "as a team" doesn't put enough emphasis on the real problem... lack of fundamental skills.

tim duncan was on that team... as fundamentaly skilled as anyone... but he was double and triple teamed on every play. the world teams could do that to duncan because there wasn't a single player on the american team who could knock down a peremeter jumper. with the extended international foul lane and the shorter international three point line, it effectively made duncan, and to a lesser degree amare stoudamire, useless.

all the americans had to do was add a dead-eye outside shooter to that team, and you then can't pack it in on duncan because you'll get killed from the outside... any one of these guys...

So the U.S. just "lost" the gold medal? My sense is that you are somehow underestimating Tim Duncan's ability by saying that a change of regulations and the lack of a perimeter shooter made him useless... in my view, the U.S. lost due to lack of effort and team play and they were just outplayed by a team that actually had those two qualities, even when they have been technically inferior.

The only thing that I hope now is for Miami to beat the Pistons to face the Spurs in the final... Pistons vs. Spurs could be an incredibly boring, ultra-defensive series.

On another note, a couple of points on the Suns:

1. Amare Stoudemire is probably the player with most potential on this league. If he is treated right and taken advantage of, he could become a superstar like Shaq. The way in which he has been dominating an outstanding player like Duncan is astonishing.

2. Steve Nash is, as I thought all season long, completely overrated. That MVP award was a joke.

3. The Suns need a better power forward.

U2@NYC said:

So the U.S. just "lost" the gold medal? My sense is that you are somehow underestimating Tim Duncan's ability by saying that a change of regulations and the lack of a perimeter shooter made him useless... in my view, the U.S. lost due to lack of effort and team play and they were just outplayed by a team that actually had those two qualities, even when they have been technically inferior.

100% absolutely yes... just 12 years ago the americans beat the international teams by an average of 40+ points per game. are the europeans better? yes... but not that better. the americans lost.

tim duncan is a big. if you're a big, the only way you can be effective is if they can get you the ball in a position to do something with it. this goes for tim duncan, shaq, patrick ewing, hakeen olajuwon, etc. etc.

they don't bring the ball up the court... if they're triple teamed before the entry is made AND there's no one to take the pressure off of you, you have become, effectively, useless... even if you score your points. it is in no way an underestimation of duncan's skills... it's just plain fact. he needs someone to get him the ball, and he can't go 1 on 3.

alonzo and shaq are useless in this game... van gundy should just let hte game go and rest them so they're at least somewhat effective in game 5

keeping them in this game is useless... even if the heat are more than capable of comming back and winning... is winning this one game worth ruining your two centers for the rest of the series?

namkcuR said:
I feel sorry for any team that that associates itself with Larry Brown. The guy is a very good coach but that is negated by the fact that no one can ever rely on him to stay around in any one place for the long term. It is his M.O. and he has done it again. He gets bored, he gets what in his eyes is a better offer, the grass is greener on the other side, blah blah, BOLT. He's like the guy who runs away from every one of his romantic relationships the minute is gets serious because he has issues with commitment. The angst of not knowing when Larry Brown decides it's time to go to the next place is not worth having him on your team.

Oh, and he's also quite possibly the dullest, most boring post-game podium speaker ever. I mean, after every single game, when he's at the podium, he always sounds like he's constipated and on valium.

Larry Brown has a way of taking a team up a notch or two and then flying the coop after 2-4 years. The Pistons won 55 games, fire Rick Carlisle and replace him with LB, and they win the championship.

That Joe Dumars is a clever one...

larry brown... bill parcells... scotty bowman... not the first, won't be the last.

even pat riley screwed over his team for a better job with more power... but frankly, after hating his guts for years after the infamous faxed resignation, i'm begining to think riles saw the writing on the wall with the horrificly run organization that is Madison Square Garden, LC.

It's amazing how within 5 years of Jim Dolan taking over the Knicks... Riley, Checkets, Grunfeld, Smith, Keenan... all the people who helped build The Garden into the place to be in the early 90s... all bounced.

Dolan takes over the team in '93... the Knicks and Rangers both make the finals in the '93-'94 season, the Rangers winning the Stanley Cup, based on the work that was put in pre-Dolan... and it's all down hill from there... now both teams are so bad that they're a good 10 years away from even competing for a championship, let alone winning one :madspit:

Last edited:
Jim Dolan might just be the worst owner in professional sports whose name isn't Donald Sterling. And even that is a close call. I seriously think that Scott Layden->Isiah Thomas might be the worst back-to-back succession of GMs on one team in NBA history. Layden was just a dumbass and Isiah is incapable of just sitting still and excercising some patience. So are a lot of Knicks fans(not point at you or anything Headache, just at a large number of Knicks fans I've known). I honestly a good number of Knicks fans would rather be mediocre now than great in 5 years. At some point both Isiah and a large number of Knicks fans are going to have to face the reality that they are so strangled in the salary cap area that the only way to fix it is to just wait for some of those deals to run out.

the knicks were once the most prized job in the entire NBA... with the possiable exception of the Lakers. this was just 10 years ago.

phil jackson was offered 10-12 million per year, an nba record, to coach the knicks... the team he's always dreamed of coaching thanks to his idol, red holzman... and he turned it down. how the mighty have fallen.

i do hear many knick fans on the radio talking about how they like marbury and defend isiah... it's about half and half. half have no problem with isiah because they still blame layden, the other half are in my boat... burn the damned thing down to the ground and start from scratch.

with every losing season, those in the scorch and burn category grow larger and larger.

there is a growing opposition to jim dolan... led by disgruntled knick fans and pissed off Jets fans, who dolan is doing his damndest to keep from getting a new stadium. we will win... it may take 5-10 years... but we will get this s.o.b. to sell the team eventually...

:sigh:

Back
Top Bottom