NBA Playoff Time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations San Antonio Spurs, 2004-05 NBA Champions. They won it fair and square.

But you have to give the Detroit Pistons all the credit in the world for not folding after losing the first two games in blowouts. For coming DAMN close to winning the title themselves. To coming one Robert Horry away from winning game 5 and the title in game 6. And you also have to give Horry credit for always turning up in the clutch - that counts for tonight too.

Both teams played great, it was ugly to watch at times, but they both played great. Easily the best Finals since Bulls-Jazz 98.

Yep, good Finals.

One helluva run for this franchise.

'99, '03, and '05. That is impressive over 6 years. Usually teams win a couple then disappear for a while. They must be doing something right in San Antonio.

Last edited:
Tim Duncan had a monster game (by the standards of this series, Duncan's Iversonesque 25 points on 10-27 shooting is a monster game). By the fourth quarter, the Pistons had to resort to doubling him in the post. The kickout threes by Manu and Horry basically determined the ballgame.

tim duncan is the worst finals mvp i've ever seen... to be frank, i would have gone with robert horry as the mvp... because in this entire pathetic 7 game series, the only player to put forth a truely great performance was robert horry... thus then, he should have gotten the MVP for his one great performance, as opposed to Duncan's consistant good, yet far from great, performances.

to be perfectly honest with you... this series makes me believe jeff van gundy more than i ever thought i would

for the sake of basketball in america... thank GOD that the spurs beat the pistons. if the pistons were able to win two consecutive championships, i just may have given up basketball as my living.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
tim duncan is the worst finals mvp i've ever... to be frank, i would have gone with robert horry as the mvp

Well, at least Chauncey Billups is off the hook for last year. [/sarcasm]

Statistically, Horry's second half + OT in game 5 wasn't any better than Duncan's second half in game 7. Horry's game just seemed more impressive because it was a bit more dramatic and because you don't expect much from him.

Last edited:
tim duncan is the worst finals mvp i've ever seen...

Agreed... Tim Duncan = :down: Despite supposedly being the leader of his team, he choked in the most important parts of Games 5 and 6. Otherwise, in my opinion, this series would have been over sooner... even in Game 7, Ginobili's 11 points in the fourth quarter are what truly lifted the Spurs over the very resilient Pistons.

In any event, I am very happy for the Spurs and for Manu Ginobili. He is the only player, apart from Jordan and Pippen, to win a Gold Olympic Medal and an NBA Championship in the same season... that is pretty good company, I have to say.

Go Spurs ! :up:

Congratulations to the Spurs and the people of Texas. It was a great series.

I still can't believe we blew game five. But championship teams find a way to win those type of games.

Enjoy the championship. :up:

i do believe this was the worst 7 game series in the history of 7 game series'... only one close game.

as the sports guy put it...

The question remains: Is this entertaining? Much like the Rockets and Knicks in the hideous 1994 Finals, the Spurs and Pistons seem to bring out the worst in one another (only without OJ's Bronco Chase to lighten the mood). Some basketball purists love the defensive energy on both sides, how this is turning into a battle of wills, who wants it more, all that crap. And that would be fine … if this was hockey or football. Unfortunately, it's basketball. In the NBA Finals, both teams are supposed to play more than seven guys, and it shouldn't be cause for celebration when someone makes two straight jumpers or plays above his head for an entire game. Only in Game 5 did both teams bring out the best in one another. It shouldn't be a bi-weekly occurrence.

the only thing i disagree with was the hideousness of the '94 finals... but as a knick fan i'm probably biased, so i can't really comment

Last edited:
How about the hideousness of John Starks in game 7 rather than the whole series?
:wink:

Was the OJ chase during the finals? I thought it was the semis, damn thats a long time ago now.
"I sees OJ, and he look scared....Baba Booey to you all."

Talking about the Spurs, I should also point out how poorly Tony Parker played... he is probably the most overrated player in the league and received the trophy as a nice 'gift' from the rest of SAS 'true' player (Duncan, Ginobili, Bowen, Horry).

Tony, come back in October and practice some more.

it was an ugly series.
it was an ugly victory for the champions, but detroit is not a pretty team.

so i say let the Spurs have their trophy and parade and send Detroit to beauty school.:sexywink:

thank u

db9
:angry:

and noboby tell ben wallace i posted this:ohmy:

Hewson said:
How about the hideousness of John Starks in game 7 rather than the whole series?
:wink:

:mad:

that game still gives me nightmares... couldn't they have just put ro blackman or hubert davis in? i think pat riley has the rockets in a parlay with the rangers and oj blowing his brains out....

Was the OJ chase during the finals? I thought it was the semis, damn thats a long time ago now.
"I sees OJ, and he look scared....Baba Booey to you all."

and yes... this was durring game 6 of the finals... the most surreal sports television moment of all time, IMO... on one half of the screen, it's hakeem and ewing... on the other half, it's OJ allegedly with a gun to his head in the back of a slow moving bronco.

train wreck television at it's finest.

and yes... this was durring game 6 of the finals... the most surreal sports television moment of all time, IMO... on one half of the screen, it's hakeem and ewing... on the other half, it's OJ allegedly with a gun to his head in the back of a slow moving bronco.

train wreck television at it's finest.
I remember the "chase" well. Was out at the dog track with friends and it came on the TV. One of my friends kept remarking at the "OJ in white truck" graphic on the TV all night, like "We pretty much know that already".
Just for some reason forgot it was the finals when it happened, thought it was Knicks/Pacers.

Ginobili is, by far, the most popular player for the Spurs these days... partly due to own merit, and partly due to Tim Duncan's complete lack of charisma.

The only thing they need to do is get rid of Tony Parker as part of the Spurs' 'trio' and put Horry in his place.

U2@NYC said:
Ginobili is, by far, the most popular player for the Spurs these days... partly due to own merit, and partly due to Tim Duncan's complete lack of charisma.

The only thing they need to do is get rid of Tony Parker as part of the Spurs' 'trio' and put Horry in his place.

Tony Parker is 23 years old. Robert Horry is about 347. Parker is an integral part of the Spurs' future.

speedracer said:

Tony Parker is 23 years old. Robert Horry is about 347. Parker is an integral part of the Spurs' future.

Well, to be part of ther Spurs' future he has to dramatically improve his game... as he is not part of the Spurs' present, I am afraid.

Back
Top Bottom