NBA Playoff Time... - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

These are the two best teams in the NBA. Anything can happen. But it's wrong to say either team sucks. That's just ignorant. And do I need to remind you that Detroit has already won a game 7 on an oppenent's floor this playoffs?

GO DETROIT!
Sorry, man, the fact that Detroit is a good team does not prevent me from hating them.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:58 PM   #262
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 AM
ok the last two possessions of regulation are why i hate nba basketball

instead of running an actual play each team just gave the ball to the guard, cleared out and let him try to make a play, both times it failed miserably

how about running a play that involves more than one person, like somebody cutting across the baseline, getting a nice pick, have the ball thrown to them and they shoot a jumper?

picket fence play anybody?

nope, just 1 on 1 type crap, it sucks, i hate it and thats why i dont watch the nba

Old 06-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #263
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:57 PM
A few questions:

1. By how many inches did Robert Horry dislocate his shoulder on that dunk?

2. Has it now been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that one must always cover the passer on an inbounds play late in the game?

3. Why not put Antonio McDyess in for Ben Wallace for an offensive possession with 5.9 seconds left?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:22 PM   #264
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Spurs 96, Pistons 95

Great game. Finally one worth of an NBA Final.

Despite my initial beliefs, Robert Horry is 'da man'. What he did today was unbelievable.

Go Spurs! One more to go, and thank God, no more games to play in Detroit.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:25 PM   #265
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
A few questions:

1. By how many inches did Robert Horry dislocate his shoulder on that dunk?

2. Has it now been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that one must always cover the passer on an inbounds play late in the game?

3. Why not put in Antonio McDyess in for Ben Wallace for an offensive possession with 5.9 seconds left?
1. I know. Unbelievable.

2. I think what the Pistons thought was that Manu was going to drive the basket. This play reminded me a lot of the last play of the series between the Bulls and the Suns, where MJ drove the ball and Paxson hit the three.

3. I agree. The thing was that Larry Brown was not even intending to pass the ball on the last play. It was only supposed to go to Billups but the Spurs defended him great.

Go Spurs!

BTW, in this series it will be impossible to pick an MVP. No player has been consistent enough.

I miss Air Jordan. He was the one and only MVP.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:27 PM   #266
Blue Crack Distributor

the ginobli play to end regulation was a very good play call against an over-aggresive defensive team like the pistons... you put the ball in the hands of your best peremeter player and let him drive to the basket, drawing ben wallace off of tim duncan, who trails down the lane un-checked for an offensive rebound... it worked exactly to design... duncan just didn't hit the easy follow.

by that same theory (best rebounder trailing down the weak side), anyone with half a clue knew immediately that the pistons were going to attempt to shoot on the left side of the court once you saw ben wallace move to the right side.

i would have put the ball in the hands of chauncy billups myself on that final play in over-time

duncan played like a pansy down the stretch... he played well for three quarters, but then disapeared in the 4th.

but when it's all said and done, this game is all about three simple words....

big

shot

bob.

robert horry has simply been one of the most clutch shooters in NBA history. how you leave him bare-ass open with time running out is beyond me.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 PM   #267
ONE
love, blood, life

Great, great game. A heartbreaker though.

But you heard Duncan; When it comes to winning elimination games, the Pistons are the best around. Losing game 5 definitley hurt them, but I still think they can steal game 6 and at least push it to a game 7.

And I'm surprised I haven't heard more of you bitching and moaning about Sheed almost pulling a Webber yet.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:31 PM   #268
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
robert horry has simply been one of the most clutch shooters in NBA history. how you leave him bare-ass open with time running out is beyond me.
The Spurs had 3 or maybe even 4 3-point threats on the floor(Horry, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen), it's hard to keep them all closed off AND adequately cover Duncan inside. Someone was bound to be left open and unfortunately for the Pistons it was Horry.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:34 PM   #269
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I agree with Headache... Duncan played well for 3 quarters.

Then he chickened out.

He played much better than games 3 and 4 but by no means he played by his standards.

I also agree with Headache. Even though the Spurs had a lot of 3-point threats, the one you want to make sure to cover is Big Shot Bob.

The apparently best team in the league screwed up what could be the most important play of the season, I think.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #270
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
And I'm surprised I haven't heard more of you bitching and moaning about Sheed almost pulling a Webber yet.
the only thing interesting about the rasheed time out is that if you watch the original game tape the clock was stopped with 0.1 seconds left... the refs waved it off and said that the time expired, as they should have. it would have been a shame to end a game on a play like that. but detroit's home court advantage... i.e. the scorekeeper being quick on the clock... almost screwed them royaly.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #271
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC

1. I know. Unbelievable.
I seriously thought Horry might have wrenched his shoulder on that dunk, given that he missed the ensuing free throw so badly. Evidently it got fixed up in time though.
Quote:

2. I think what the Pistons thought was that Manu was going to drive the basket. This play reminded me a lot of the last play of the series between the Bulls and the Suns, where MJ drove the ball and Paxson hit the three.
I think everyone in the entire universe thought that Manu was going to drive to the basket and possibly dish to Horry or Bruce Bowen for an open three.

I just can't remember a time when not covering the inbounds pass in a big game has actually paid off (not to say that it's never happened, of course). But the disadvantages (giving up clear passing lanes and leaving the passer open for a return pass) seem to greatly outweigh the advantages.
Quote:

3. I agree. The thing was that Larry Brown was not even intending to pass the ball on the last play. It was only supposed to go to Billups but the Spurs defended him great.
Chauncey Billups had Bruce Bowen covering him from the fourth quarter onward. Not that Tony Parker's a particularly poor defender, but Rip Hamilton really should have been able to operate against him.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:40 PM   #272
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

The Spurs had 3 or maybe even 4 3-point threats on the floor(Horry, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen), it's hard to keep them all closed off AND adequately cover Duncan inside. Someone was bound to be left open and unfortunately for the Pistons it was Horry.
the most dangerous man on a screen is the screener... the most dangerous man on an inbounds is the inbounder. two simple rules that every basketball player should know, and larry brown certainly knows this.

thus, rasheed obviously went on his own to try to make the aggresive play. if it was a set play to trap, someone would have been stepping up from the weak side to pick up horry. no one moved... so either the step-up guy fucked up royaly, or rasheed wallace left one of the most clutch three point shooters in the history of basketball wide open with time running out.

rasheed stays, horry isn't open.

robert horry isn't the player that michael jordan, jerry west, larry bird or reggie miller is... but he is certainly as clutch. he's proved it time after time after time after time after time. maybe it's just a matter of right time right place, but shit... you don't leave the man with the most three pointers in NBA history wide open with time running out.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Yeah, but Rasheed was sort of playing halfway between Horry and Manu -- not tightly enough on Manu to deny the entry pass or to force a turnover, but too far away from Horry to get back and cover him for the three. If the play was to trap Manu, it wasn't very well executed.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:42 PM   #274
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Chauncey Billups had Bruce Bowen covering him from the fourth quarter onward. Not that Tony Parker's a particularly poor defender, but Rip Hamilton really should have been able to operate against him.
especially after delivering a fore-arm shiver to parker's face
Old 06-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #275
Blue Crack Distributor

and on a side note, jeff van gundy just called to tell me that the refs will be allowing a lot more physical play go tuesday night... so there ya go.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #276
Blue Crack Distributor

in order for a player to take a charge, both of the defensive player's feet have to be planted before the offensive player starts his move to the basket.

as you can cleary see, horry is already in the air before hamilton has both feet planted. it is a clear block, not a charge.

this will go down as one of the greatest dunks in playoff history... 20 years from now, big shot bob's 4th quarter will be a mainstay on ESPN Classic.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:13 PM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Sweet photo sequence

I can tell that you are enjoying the Spurs' vistory as much as I am...
Old 06-20-2005, 01:18 PM   #278
ONE
love, blood, life

Why all the Pistons hate?

That's directed towards U2@NYC, not Headache.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #279
Refugee

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I can't get that last minute to stop running through my head. Chauncey's missed lay-in. Sheed's idiotic defense. Horry's clutch three even with a bum shoulder. Rip's lame attempt.

Headache, is this how Reggie made you feel?

And for those with a better Sportsguy knowledge than I, does this count as a Stomach Punch Game?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Why all the Pistons hate?

That's directed towards U2@NYC, not Headache.
Not that much hate...

I am just rooting for the Spurs in this series both for Ginobili and because I do not like the Pistons' style. As I said earlier, I just think the Pistons are a good team, and the fact that this series is so even makes me more passionate about it, but I mean no disrespect.