NBA Basketball 2009-10: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as an often disappointed Bucks fan, i am really pumped about the beginning of this season. Brandon Jennings seems like a difference maker.

Downside:
+ No one punched Varajeo in the face

Yeah, I've been on pins-and-needles waiting for this to happen. In a perfect world it would be Lebron, in practice.

(Practice???)

For both of their sakes, I hope Melo and Chauncey win out.

Upside to the Magic loss tonight:

+ The LeBrons were especially motivated after the playoffs loss (especially Mo Williams)
+ Dwight was in foul trouble most of the first half
+ They're still missing Lewis, who arguably gave the Cavs the biggest matchup problems in the playoff series; plus Ryan Anderson was hurt
+ Nelson and Carter were able to score almost at will

Downside:
+ Their defense looked like dogshit
+ No one punched Varajeo in the face
+ Dwight was a non-factor an offense

I really like Dwight Howard, but he complains a lot about fouls. The truth is, he is close to being strait up, but often one arm comes down slightly...or both sometimes and, that's gonna be called over and over on him. The complaining doesn't help him either.

I really like Dwight Howard, but he complains a lot about fouls. The truth is, he is close to being strait up, but often one arm comes down slightly...or both sometimes and, that's gonna be called over and over on him. The complaining doesn't help him either.

It's not so much that he fouls, which he does, like you said, it's that he routinely gets the shit pounded out of him on the other end. Yeah Dwight, you're a big guy, it happens. Shut up.

varajeo got some nuts in his face last night...

YouTube - dwayne wade dunk over anderson varejao

Impressive, as I didn't know Diane HAD nuts. And of course Lebron adds to it, basically slobbing all over Wade's dunk for the camera...what a teammate.

And in tribute to the great Michael Jordan, Lebron is changing his number, you know, since MJ was such a pioneer and whatnot. So instead, he's going to wear this guy's number:
Russell_11_Rings_Grn_Jsy_BIG.jpg
5d0da44ce046d0bf61c3520bc7cea64e.jpg

Hey Lebron...

douchebag.jpg

once again, let's just state for the record, that brandon jennings couldn't start in the euroleague... averaged 7.6 ppg off the bench, and was smoked by guys like ricky rubio and the such.

and now he's the best... player... ever...

something is not quite right with this picture.

and speaking of not quite right...

"He can't get the logo, and if he can't, something has to be done. I feel like no NBA player should wear 23. I'm starting a petition, and I've got to get everyone in the NBA to sign it. Now, if I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it."

yes, lebron... no one should be allowed to wear 23 if you're not gonna wear it. ya' know... i want him to come to new york and all, but man... what an egotistical douche'.

this retire 23 league wide thing is a joke. the jackie robinson thing was based on his contribution to humanity, not his baseball ability, as great as it may have been. no one's allowed to wear #23 in chicago. that's enough.

frankly, this whole switching to #6 thing... there is a thought that lebron will go join diane wade in miami next year. miami just happened to have retired #23 in honor of jordan, so lebron couldn't wear it there anyways.

and while i do believe jordan is the greatest of all time... larry bird and magic johnson did more to save the league than jordan did. so let's retire #33 and #32, too. while we're at it, let's retire 6 for russell and 13 for wilt, too. in fact, let's retire every number from 55 down. oh, and 91, for ron ron.

screw it... no more numbers. letters. lebron can wear a big L on his back.

once again, let's just state for the record, that brandon jennings couldn't start in the euroleague... averaged 7.6 ppg off the bench, and was smoked by guys like ricky rubio and the such.

and now he's the best... player... ever...

something is not quite right with this picture.

it's really hard to explain. i mean, not only is Jennings scoring points, but he's making everyone around him better. Bogut looks better than he ever has, and the rest of the supporting players from Milwaukee are playing strong and with increased confidence.

as far as him coming off the bench in Europe. who knows? didn't MJ get cut in high school once (not that i think Brandon Jennings is even 1/10 as great as MJ)?

I think it's more of a slam on the current talent level in the NBA that Jennings is tearing it up, while in Europe he couldn't get off the bench.

Although maybe things have just clicked for him. Let's see if he can keep up his pace and do it consistently for years.

And Lebron is a douche.

Although maybe things have just clicked for him. Let's see if he can keep up his pace and do it consistently for years.

and that's what i'm thinking too.

i never buy into the whole "well before this he was bad" argument. look at the NFL. two names come to mind that were 7th round picks: Tom Brady and Donald Driver. they were mediocre in college, i doubt they'll do anything in the pros.

the michael jordan getting cut story is the most over-blown piece of garbage in the history of basketball. jordan was kept on the JV rather than brought up to the varsity because his coach thought he had an attitude problem. it's not like he sucked and then all of a sudden used the motivation of being cut to turn into the all being God of all things basketball, which many a coach at all levels have played it off to be in order to make chunky mcporker feel better about the fact that he couldn't hit a fucking layup if his life depended on it.

not that that matters in this case, just stating for the record...

on to jennings...

firstly, don't compare football players to basketball players. football is a sport where a college basketball player can not touch a football for four years, and then all of a sudden start in the big east... or better yet, become an all-world tight end.

i'm not trying to disrespect football players or their specific skill sets, but a player who's in great shape and smart can not touch a football for years and then come in and play based on his superior physicality... where as the greatest player to ever touch a basketball looked like crap after sitting out a year and a half. it's a different beast all together, so you can't really compare the two. if you don't shoot every day, you will not be a great shooter. you don't have to tackle someone every day to still be able to tackle someone.

that said, there are cases of players who have the skills and have the ability who just all of a sudden "get it." could this be the case? sure... but i honestly think it has more to do with the constant rule changes in the NBA that make it far easier for the offense to perform, whereas the EuroLeague is a purer form of basketball... there are no wacky "defensive 3 second" rules or anything like that. you have to have real skill and understanding of basketball fundamentals in order to be succesful. talent alone will only get you so far.

say what you will... america still has the best players, and the nba is still the best league... but it's different basketball than what you see at every other level of the game.

i do believe that jennings' time over in europe helped him to better understand the all around game, but that can't be all of it.

and speaking of not quite right...

yes, lebron... no one should be allowed to wear 23 if you're not gonna wear it. ya' know... i want him to come to new york and all, but man... what an egotistical douche'.

this retire 23 league wide thing is a joke. the jackie robinson thing was based on his contribution to humanity, not his baseball ability, as great as it may have been. no one's allowed to wear #23 in chicago. that's enough.

frankly, this whole switching to #6 thing... there is a thought that lebron will go join diane wade in miami next year. miami just happened to have retired #23 in honor of jordan, so lebron couldn't wear it there anyways.

and while i do believe jordan is the greatest of all time... larry bird and magic johnson did more to save the league than jordan did. so let's retire #33 and #32, too. while we're at it, let's retire 6 for russell and 13 for wilt, too. in fact, let's retire every number from 55 down. oh, and 91, for ron ron.

screw it... no more numbers. letters. lebron can wear a big L on his back.

I disagree on two counts.

First, I do think #23 should be retired league-wide. You cited Jackie Robinson, but what about Wayne Gretzky? His #99 is retired league-wide in the NHL. Do you find that unnecessary? If so, why, and if not, what makes it different from MJ/#23?

Second - it may be accurate to say that Magic and Bird did more to save the league, as in save it from its fledgling existence of the mid/late 70s, but I would also argue that while they did more to save the league, MJ did more to globalize it, to spur the NBA to the phenomenal global commercial success it had in the 90s, to make basketball arguably the second most popular sport in the world after futbol. In 1992, when the original Dream Team - one of the most star-studded teams ever assembled in any sport - was in Barcelona, he was still the star among a team of stars including Magic and Bird. You can say that Magic and Bird did more to save the league in the 80s after it looked like it was dying in the late 70s, but I don't think you can say that they did more than MJ in terms of propelling the the league to the staggering global success it's had since then.

the michael jordan getting cut story is the most over-blown piece of garbage in the history of basketball. jordan was kept on the JV rather than brought up to the varsity because his coach thought he had an attitude problem. it's not like he sucked and then all of a sudden used the motivation of being cut to turn into the all being God of all things basketball, which many a coach at all levels have played it off to be in order to make chunky mcporker feel better about the fact that he couldn't hit a fucking layup if his life depended on it.

not that that matters in this case, just stating for the record...

on to jennings...

firstly, don't compare football players to basketball players. football is a sport where a college basketball player can not touch a football for four years, and then all of a sudden start in the big east... or better yet, become an all-world tight end.

i'm not trying to disrespect football players or their specific skill sets, but a player who's in great shape and smart can not touch a football for years and then come in and play based on his superior physicality... where as the greatest player to ever touch a basketball looked like crap after sitting out a year and a half. it's a different beast all together, so you can't really compare the two. if you don't shoot every day, you will not be a great shooter. you don't have to tackle someone every day to still be able to tackle someone.

that said, there are cases of players who have the skills and have the ability who just all of a sudden "get it." could this be the case? sure... but i honestly think it has more to do with the constant rule changes in the NBA that make it far easier for the offense to perform, whereas the EuroLeague is a purer form of basketball... there are no wacky "defensive 3 second" rules or anything like that. you have to have real skill and understanding of basketball fundamentals in order to be succesful. talent alone will only get you so far.

say what you will... america still has the best players, and the nba is still the best league... but it's different basketball than what you see at every other level of the game.

i do believe that jennings' time over in europe helped him to better understand the all around game, but that can't be all of it.

my comparison to the two football players was not comparing the two sports.

First, I do think #23 should be retired league-wide. You cited Jackie Robinson, but what about Wayne Gretzky? His #99 is retired league-wide in the NHL. Do you find that unnecessary? If so, why, and if not, what makes it different from MJ/#23?

Second - it may be accurate to say that Magic and Bird did more to save the league, as in save it from its fledgling existence of the mid/late 70s, but I would also argue that while they did more to save the league, MJ did more to globalize it, to spur the NBA to the phenomenal global commercial success it had in the 90s, to make basketball arguably the second most popular sport in the world after futbol. In 1992, when the original Dream Team - one of the most star-studded teams ever assembled in any sport - was in Barcelona, he was still the star among a team of stars including Magic and Bird. You can say that Magic and Bird did more to save the league in the 80s after it looked like it was dying in the late 70s, but I don't think you can say that they did more than MJ in terms of propelling the the league to the staggering global success it's had since then.

Keep in mind that Bird and Magic were in the twilight of their careers when the Dream Team came into fruition and Jordan was either just getting into his peak or at the very top, however you want to look at it.

I'd also say that Bird and Magic saving the league from collapsing entirely is a little bit more important than Jordan's worldwide popularity. You can't get to Point B without getting to Point A.

Your argument should never include "Gary Bettman did it!"

So, yeah, 23 getting retired league wide is a joke.

We're also ignoring what a prick Jordan is and the fact that he doesn't really do anything positive for the NBA at this point. He's hardly an ambassador for the league. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think retiring a number should be based on something other than on-court performance.

ok sure, i'll bite...

well... i disagree with you in two seperate ways, that might be a new record.

way #1... no, i don't think #99 should have been retired league wide. jackie robinson's # was "retired" (many still wear it, i.e. mo rivera) not because he was the greatest baseball player of all time, but because of what he accomplished for civil rights in the world, a far bigger accomplishment than anything jordan, gretzky or anyone else has ever done. if baseball were retiring #s just for stats than #3 would be retired league wide in honor of babe ruth.

way #2... wayne gretzky was a better hockey player than michael jordan was a basketball player. if michael jordan had wilt chamberlain's stats and the 6 rings, then he'd be wayne gretzky. gretzky dominated his sport like no one has dominated his sport before... even the greatness of jordan does not compare to the greatness of gretzky. that said, i still don't think 99 should be retired league wide. edmonton and LA... that's it.

i'm not arguing that bird or magic were bigger world wide stars than jordan. they weren't. but the league might not have existed for jordan to be the star he was if not for bird and magic rescuing the NBA. and it's a moot point anyway because none of them should have their numbers retired league wide... including jordan.

We're also ignoring what a prick Jordan is and the fact that he doesn't really do anything positive for the NBA at this point. He's hardly an ambassador for the league. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think retiring a number should be based on something other than on-court performance.

And this needs to be emphasized, on top of Headache's points: Michael Jordan is a colossal asshole. Just a massive douchebag.

ebfcb14f-e047-4109-a320-3ce1e7fd25eb.jpg

Sorry, Mikal. It was awesome.

And that Jennings kid yall have been talking about had himself a game, too. Makes it all the more mindboggling what Headache said about the Euro league days.

Someone is leading the NBA in rebounding and his name rhymes with Smoakim Bloah.

Joakim is playing out of his mind. He's averaging 12.1 points, 12.4 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 2 blocks on .563 FG% in 33mpg after 10 games. He's averaged 14.8 points, 14.8 rebounds, and 2 blocks in the last 5 games.

He keeps this up, he's MIP, and possibly in the discussion for DPOY.

He has been spectacular, relative to the last two years. Too bad that Rose has been pure shit. I am getting more worried, GAF, with each passing day.

I knew Noah would be all out hustle and could certainly average double digits in rebounds. But I didn't think his ppg would ever be much more than 8-9ppg. I suppose it still could end up there. But that guy is all out every night!

He's a winner.

Back
Top Bottom