NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a plan!

I am not a big Pistons fan, but I'm watching them, as I live in Michigan. They have a player named Rodney Stuckey. You've probably heard of him. Anyway, there is something about him. He has that "it" thing people talk about. You heard it here first. Well, actually more like second because they talked about him last playoffs...but whatever man.

As much as I'd love to see Detroit implode, it'd be great to see the Magic win at home. The Blazers are good, but not THAT good.

i've figured it out, thanks :wink:

i've also figured out that detroit will now be pretty bad with iverson at the helm... dude plays no D and doesn't pass... it's a matter of time until 'sheed goes completely ape shit and the whole shit show falls apart.

Good thing they'll both be gone at the end of the year eh?

Oh, and I was being sarcastic with that earlier comment. I do not question your NBA knowledge. :hi5:

Sometimes you just scratch your head. Paul Pierce was having an absolute shit game last night through 3 quarters...yeah 14 points but mostly at the line, I think he was 3-13 or something. Then the guy goes out and puts up 22 in the 4th quarter.

while it certainly would be no shock to see them standing alone when it's all said and done, let's at least let the lakers play someone before we crown them champions.

Well you take last year's team and add Wilt Chamberlain to it, no wonder people are optimistic ;)

The Hawks are a pretty good young team. I guess that was apparent when they played Boston so tough in the playoffs last year but they really impressed me tonight. Horford looked like an All-Star, Marvin Williams is only getting better, and Mike Bibby is a damn solid point guard. Plus Joe Johnson, of course, and Josh Smith (who didn't even play against us) and FLIP and it seems like the 6-0 start is no fluke.

Laz says the Lakers are goin 82-0 this year. I say hell yeah. Kobe "The Iron Chef" Bryant has himself a hell of a team. The pieces are in place. The war has begun.

There was a fight in the Suns/Rockets game tonight. Lil' Steve Nash came chargin' hard on Rafer Alston lookin to start somethin. McGrady knocked the tiny Canadian on his ass. Shaq Diesel proceeded to knock McGrady and Yao Ming to the ground with two flicks of his wrist. It was cool to see those four superstars getting into it on the court. Nothing all that serious came of it but it was fun to watch. There needs to be more fights in the NBA.

3 points for Greg "Iron Man" Oden in his first full game (16 minutes).

The Hawks look pretty legit, 2nd of back to back games at Boston and they probably should have won the game without Pierce's hero shot.

Really? wow.

Well, I have watched all Lakers games so far.
I wonder if Ariza is going to be offered an extention soon?

the impressive thing about the Lakers so far is that Bynum isn't even the reason why they've been so good... it's their new found commitment to D.

plus, kobe so far seems to have "gotten it," as far as making sure his teammates are involved while still taking his shots when it's his time to shoot. it's early for that, and i still think he'll be piggish with the ball in a big game, but so far so good.

yup.
Defense is great so far.
Last night, I don't know if you saw the game, but the effort by people on the second team is far better than last year, i.e. Farmar.

i didn't... i watched the knicks, south park and then went to the bed. wilson chandler's gonna be a stud, btw. anyhoo...

plus, kobe so far seems to have "gotten it," as far as making sure his teammates are involved while still taking his shots when it's his time to shoot. it's early for that, and i still think he'll be piggish with the ball in a big game, but so far so good.

ruh roh...

Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson criticizes Kobe Bryant from time to time for distorting the Lakers' offense by taking shots that are too quick or too many in number. Wednesday night was one of those times according to the Los Angeles Times.

Bryant hit a crucial three-point shot with 1:08 to play to help the Lakers escape with a 93-86 victory over New Orleans, but Jackson didn't like Bryant's fourth quarter.

"He was doing too much at the end of the ball game," Jackson said. "We should have had him off ball a few times so it wasn't always him on ball. But he came through with the big shot that kind of clinched it."

Bryant finished with 20 points on five-for-15 shooting.

Before the game, Jackson was praising Bryant for being in tune with teammates.

Source: Los Angeles Times

kobe needs to continue to understand that the less he has the ball in his hands the more dangerous he will be. it's a very hard thing to understand. jordan got it, kobe, i dunno if he ever fully will.

jordan's the only guy who's been able to average 30 a game consistently while still being the consummate team player. thus why he is who he is, er, was.

Chandler went to a HS in Compton, Ca.
He did not look good last night.

Phil knows how to get to Kobe's head with those comments.

I wonder how the Lakers would have performed with Bynum and Ariza at the finals last year?

I wonder how the Lakers would have performed with Bynum and Ariza at the finals last year?

This is what I was saying before. They barely lost two of those games, one because of a big Celtics comeback, and one where the Lakers almost came all the way back from a huge deficit but ran out of time.

to say the lakers barely lost would be a bit much.

and bynum really hasn't been great yet. he's shooting below 45%... for a guy who shoots all of his shots near the basket that's not exactly good. the lakers success has been despite that... they'll really be scary if they can get bynum going.

and i didn't say tyson chandler of said hornets... i said wilson chandler of said knicks, who was quite good last night... 27 points on 11 of 12 shooting, 4 of 4 from three, 7 boards, 3 steals, 3 assists.

knick fans may have to bite the bullet and thanks isiah for that pick...

I'm proud to have been in attendance for half of the Mavs' wins on the year.

to say the lakers barely lost would be a bit much.

It may sound like semantics, but I said they barely lost TWO of the games. There are still two that they were beaten handily in. My point was that despite the apparent mismatch (and let's not forget, the final score in games was 4-2; they didn't even come close to getting swept), two of those games were VERY close and could have gone either way. And I think a healthy Bynum and Ariza would have made up the difference. I'm not saying they would have annihilated the Celtics, but I think they would have prevailed in a seven game series.

Prediction: Lakers go undefeated for entire season.

nba_a_wallace2_395.jpg

It may sound like semantics, but I said they barely lost TWO of the games. There are still two that they were beaten handily in. My point was that despite the apparent mismatch (and let's not forget, the final score in games was 4-2; they didn't even come close to getting swept), two of those games were VERY close and could have gone either way. And I think a healthy Bynum and Ariza would have made up the difference. I'm not saying they would have annihilated the Celtics, but I think they would have prevailed in a seven game series.

In the regular season with a healthy Bynum, the Celts smoked the Lakers, and Bynum was to quote Ty Webb "not good", he would not have altered the finals outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom