NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic opening night tonight, so I'm excited. I'll be there for the start of the JJ Redick Era, future first ballot pick for the Steve Kerr Hall of Fame.

Why is he bad? Last year was strictly a developmental year for him - he wasn't even on the team roster most of the season. But he appears to have made some great strides since then, judging by his preseason play.

Just curious what you base this on. Have you been following him closely or something?

The fact that he spent alot of time in the NBADL means he sucks. Teams don't send good players down to the DL. Especially when they are behind weak to average point gaurds like a Rondo or a House.

I just got my ticket to see those Mavs in San Antonio on Tuesday.

The fact that it's election night makes it way to easy to make a "maverick" related joke.

The fact that he spent alot of time in the NBADL means he sucks. Teams don't send good players down to the DL. Especially when they are behind weak to average point gaurds like a Rondo or a House.

Or it could be that he's just a raw player who needs to sharpen his skills. He got playing time in the DL to do that, something that wouldn't have happened just by sitting on the bench.

Without looking, I'm betting that there have been many players who played in the DL at one time or another and ended up contributing at the NBA level later.

And Rondo is weak to average?

Yeah. Rondo really can't shoot. Teams were just leaving him alone from mid range last year in the playoffs. They don't even play him in the fourth quarter because he doesn't shoot the ball well.

I also would like you to name a DL player that has become a good NBA player.

The Sixers' opener is tonight, but no one in Philly cares and only half the arena is filled. Go Phils.

I also would like you to name a DL player that has become a good NBA player.

Rafer Alston, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Matt Carroll, Jordan Farmar, Chuck Hayes, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Bobby Simmons, Jose Juan Barea, Ime Udoka, C.J. Watson and Ramon Sessions.

Hope that's enough... and I hope at least one of them meets your definition of "effective."

Which of those guys should I be impressed by? Alston is maybe the best player in that group. His best year was 14 and 6 assists for the pathetic raptors.

Without looking, I'm betting that there have been many players who played in the DL at one time or another and ended up contributing at the NBA level later.

Here's the key to this quote - "CONTRIBUTING"

Nobody has been saying Pruitt will be so impressive that he'll start for the C's.
Alston starts.
Carroll has averaged 9 ppg in his career and can hit the 3 consistently enough
Azubuike - 8.1 ppg 3.4 rbg - that's good for a backup
Barnes - 6.1 ppg and more hustle than you ever have shown in your life
Devin Brown - averaged 11.5 ppg 4rbs 3assists - when starting - approx 7 ppg career
Simmons was really good on the Clips before getting injured
Mikki Moore helped the Nets make some noise in the playoffs - 06-07 - then got a fat contract...

I would say these are guys who have made it and contributed to the NBA after being in the NBADL

i may have to recant my thought that beasley is gonna win the rookie of the year based on two things...

a) diane wade takes every friggin shot
b) miami's jimmy smitts looking new coach doesn't have the balls to tell him not to

Rose? :wink:

Oh, and I do want you to know that...I believe the Knickerbockers will make it to the playoffs this year.

The original post said that he though Pruitt would be a nice addition all I was saying is that he probably won't be because he isn't very good and won't log many minutes.

I still I don't think any of those guys on the DL list. In Rafer alston's meagre career year, the raptors finished 16 games under .500. I'm not sure how that solidfies him as an effective player. For some reason Headache likes to deny the stats and then stop arguing.

he's also the starting 1 for a team that many (not me) like as a potential nba champion... but then again, steve kerr wasn't an effective player. so yea... alston sucks.

Yeah, because they have Yao, Mcgrady and Artest. You just want players to be good because they play with good players. Also let's talk when the rockets win a playoff series.

Here's the key to this quote - "CONTRIBUTING"

Bingo.

I'm not talking about an all-star in the making here. All I'm saying is that perhaps he might be able to help out off the bench and be a good role player, to help fill the hole left by Posey leaving.

Seems to me there have been quite a few who played in the DL who were able to do that.

The original post said that he though Pruitt would be a nice addition all I was saying is that he probably won't be because he isn't very good and won't log many minutes.

I still I don't think any of those guys on the DL list. In Rafer alston's meagre career year, the raptors finished 16 games under .500. I'm not sure how that solidfies him as an effective player. For some reason Headache likes to deny the stats and then stop arguing.

yes, because you see... i'm a person that when he runs head first into a wall, he doesn't get back up and run back into the same wall.

you are a person who believes that if a person isn't a 20 and 10 guy or better, he sucks. arguing with such a person is like running into a wall, getting up, and running into it again. you're not gonna get nowhere and when it's all over you're gonna have a massive headache.

in a suitcase? :wink:

:reject:

Phanan, you know who will be Posey for you this year? Tony Allen. He will be much better than last year because it is now 2 years after his ACL injury. I think he'll be much less hesitant on the floor this year. Just don't let him run the point.

And all we're saying is how do you know he's not good. You answered that he played in the DL league.
Then we said, "....these guys played there and have contributed."
Then you said, "they all suck."
Then we said, "but to be effective does not mean huge stats."
Then you said, "headache doesn't look at stats."

Now I am going to stop because we're not on the same page. We believe Pruitt could contribute to the Celtics with small numbers that help off the bench. It could even be 15 minutes where he scores 1.5 points per game and 1.5 assists per game. As long as he is on the floor contributing in some way, we feel he is effective.

You just think he sucks.

Phanan, you know who will be Posey for you this year? Tony Allen. He will be much better than last year because it is now 2 years after his ACL injury. I think he'll be much less hesitant on the floor this year. Just don't let him run the point.

Yep. Hence my original post that started this whole thing:

Allen looked pretty good in the preseason, and I think Pruitt will be a nice addition.

:lol: So much emphasis on the latter I missed the quote as a whole.

No matter, I agree with it all. :yes:

I am trying to figure out what team won't return to the playoffs in the Eastern Conference this year. Am I a fool if I were to say Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom