NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
I think Chuck knows his stuff, though I disagree on the Nets. However I think he is right about the LeBrons.

I hope so. LeBron is the new Peyton Manning...individual success, media accolades out the wazzoo, never won shit. Though I guess as long as ARod remains championship-less he's relatively safe...

CTU2fan said:

I hope so. LeBron is the new Peyton Manning...individual success, media accolades out the wazzoo, never won shit. Though I guess as long as ARod remains championship-less he's relatively safe...

Did you forget about last years superbowl?

thetitans2k said:

Did you forget about last years superbowl?

No I didn't...hence the need for a new Peyton; the old one won his championship and we need a replacement.

I guess I could have just gone with LeBron being the new ARod, but as a Pats fan I enjoy taking gratuitous shots at Peyton. Petty and childish, I know...

CTU2fan said:

No I didn't...hence the need for a new Peyton; the old one won his championship and we need a replacement.

I guess I could have just gone with LeBron being the new ARod, but as a Pats fan I enjoy taking gratuitous shots at Peyton. Petty and childish, I know...

That's dumb. There's no need for intersport comparisons.

thetitans2k said:
Barkley says the cavs wont make the playoffs. He also says the nets will make the finals. I say charles barkley is an idiot.

while i could certainly see neither of the things that chuck said happening, i could also certainly see them both happening.

if the nets stay healthy they're easily one of the best teams in the east. the problem therein is of course staying healthy. jefferson's proven to be injury prone, as is carter, and kidd's getting old. if the three are all together and healthy, they are as good as anyone else's top 3 in the east with the possible exception of boston.

the cavs made the finals last year thanks largely to the heat getting old fast, the nets being banged up, the wizards being injured, the bulls being over-rated and the pistons simply self combusting... and to top it off, they did absolutely nothing to improve their team in the off-season.

I don't see anybody talking about how close Kobe-to-Chicago was to happening on Wednesday/Thursday.

Reliable sources on Chicago radio and ESPN were saying that it was imminent.

Everybody on the Bulls board at RealGM were on the edge of their seats clicking 'refresh' every ten seconds for essentially two days.

The information was that Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was putting pressure on GM John Paxson to get it done, that the Bulls and Lakers were very seriously talking, and that a deal nearly got done.

And then Paxson addressed the media on Thursday and said 'Everyone knows we've been talking to the Lakers about Kobe, there isn't a deal done, there's not going to be a deal done for now'.

In the time since then, more concrete details have leaked about how close it was to happening.

Apparently, the Lakers wanted Deng, and Chicago wouldn't give him until very late in the talks when Paxson caved and included Deng, and the two teams actually did agree to a deal. However, Kobe vetoed it because he wants Deng on the Bulls with him. 'Veto' simply means that Kobe didn't waive his no-trade clause(the only one in the NBA) and therefore can't be traded. Kobe has unprecedented power over if he gets traded, who he gets traded for, and who is left on his new team when he gets there.

So apparently it was after Kobe rejected the deal(Deng included) that the two teams had agreed to that Paxson came out and said no deal for now.

But the Lakers still want to get it over with, the Bulls are still Kobe's only desired destination, the Bulls are still the team that can put together the best package for him. I still think this is going to happen sooner rather than later.

It's just a matter of the Lakers backing off their absolutely absurd demands. Chicago and Kobe want the same thing - a Bulls team with Kobe on it and enough around him to compete for a title. The Lakers, on the other hand, want to take a huge chunk of the Bulls' core for Kobe.

I haven't seen any details about who else was included in the supposedly rejected deal.

Lakers win big in phoenix tonight. The whole kobe thing is a bluff for the rest of the league to think that kobe has no help when really his bench is dominant.

If the Lakers had any balls at all they'd tell him to go fuck himself. Probably not the smartest thing, but honestly this guy's bitching & moaning is way past old.

Oh and re: the Celtics, one of the nice things about KG & Allen coming in is with the C's return to relevance people will start to realize what kind of player Paul Pierce is. Pierce is going to have a great season with legit talent on the floor with him. It's about time.

namkcuR said:
I don't see anybody talking about how close Kobe-to-Chicago was to happening on Wednesday/Thursday.

Reliable sources on Chicago radio and ESPN were saying that it was imminent.

Everybody on the Bulls board at RealGM were on the edge of their seats clicking 'refresh' every ten seconds for essentially two days.

The information was that Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was putting pressure on GM John Paxson to get it done, that the Bulls and Lakers were very seriously talking, and that a deal nearly got done.

And then Paxson addressed the media on Thursday and said 'Everyone knows we've been talking to the Lakers about Kobe, there isn't a deal done, there's not going to be a deal done for now'.

In the time since then, more concrete details have leaked about how close it was to happening.

Apparently, the Lakers wanted Deng, and Chicago wouldn't give him until very late in the talks when Paxson caved and included Deng, and the two teams actually did agree to a deal. However, Kobe vetoed it because he wants Deng on the Bulls with him. 'Veto' simply means that Kobe didn't waive his no-trade clause(the only one in the NBA) and therefore can't be traded. Kobe has unprecedented power over if he gets traded, who he gets traded for, and who is left on his new team when he gets there.

So apparently it was after Kobe rejected the deal(Deng included) that the two teams had agreed to that Paxson came out and said no deal for now.

But the Lakers still want to get it over with, the Bulls are still Kobe's only desired destination, the Bulls are still the team that can put together the best package for him. I still think this is going to happen sooner rather than later.

It's just a matter of the Lakers backing off their absolutely absurd demands. Chicago and Kobe want the same thing - a Bulls team with Kobe on it and enough around him to compete for a title. The Lakers, on the other hand, want to take a huge chunk of the Bulls' core for Kobe.

I haven't seen any details about who else was included in the supposedly rejected deal.

no one's brought it up because most are probably tired of the entire deal and realize that the odds of it ever happening are slim and none.

the lakers are right to ask for as much as they can get for kobe. if they can't get equal value, and they can't, then they shouldn't trade him. let him opt out

and the deal i heard was gordon to sacramento, wallace and artest to LA, kobe to chicago, plus various pieces. great trade for chicago, good trade for sacramento, god awful trade for LA.

it ain't happenin.

What do you mean chances are slim and none? The deal was agreed to by all teams. Kobe is the only one who said no.

i believe you answered your own question.

because kobe has a full no trade clause in his contract he can veto any potential trade. the only way the lakers are trading him, it seems, is if they get close to equal value in return. any trade that nets the lakers equal value will deplete the team that kobe is going to, thus kobe will veto it.

they're running around in circles, and nothing is going to happen unless kobe outright waives his no trade clause.

well first off, only one guy had 2 games, most had 3.

secondly, you're right... tyrus thomas' numbers are inflated by one good game sandwiched between two terrible games while aldridge has one bad game sandwiched between two good games.

thirdly, no shit.

sorry... next time i'll post more :wink:s to make sure my teasing gets across as just that.

Why would we ever want a younger Ben Wallace for less money?

And why would we ever draft a player that has back to the basket post moves. Clearly we haven't learned in the past that drafting on potential doesn't work. (see eddy curry/tyson chandler)
:sad:

Do you realize that with this team, we could have Elton Brand? ELTON BRAND!!?!? But nah, he's too short. :mad:

The Lakers are the problem. But they do want this thing over with. Kobe will opt out after next season...they're not going to lose Kobe for nothing, so they WILL trade him. And they don't want this speculation going on forever, so I'm guessing they still want to get it done sooner rather than later.

The Lakers will eventually accept less for Kobe just to make sure they get SOMETHING for Kobe.

Many speculate the two sides are just waiting until next month when Nocioni can be traded.

namkcuR said:
The Lakers are the problem. But they do want this thing over with. Kobe will opt out after next season...they're not going to lose Kobe for nothing, so they WILL trade him. And they don't want this speculation going on forever, so I'm guessing they still want to get it done sooner rather than later.

The Lakers will eventually accept less for Kobe just to make sure they get SOMETHING for Kobe.

Many speculate the two sides are just waiting until next month when Nocioni can be traded.

you're missing an important part of this entire thing... there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for a team of the stature of the Lakers to worry about losing someone "for nothing."

what, do you think that the friggin LA Lakers couldn't find another superstar to give all that money that will be freed up under the cap when Kobe opts out?

LeBron? hello?

trade him for true equal value, or let him opt out. trading him for 50 cents on the dollar would be a very stupid thing to do.

Got Philk? said:
Why would we ever want a younger Ben Wallace for less money?

And why would we ever draft a player that has back to the basket post moves. Clearly we haven't learned in the past that drafting on potential doesn't work. (see eddy curry/tyson chandler)
:sad:

Do you realize that with this team, we could have Elton Brand? ELTON BRAND!!?!? But nah, he's too short. :mad:

please phil... get a clue :tsk:

ben wallace could never score like tyson chandler :wink:

I'm considering caving and buying NBA League Pass. Does anyone have it, and if so, what do you think?

The sole reason for me to do it is to get all the Mavs games.

In Canada the only NBA package I can get is raptors TV. It's pretty good because it shows the most of the suns games.

inmyplace13 said:
I'm considering caving and buying NBA League Pass. Does anyone have it, and if so, what do you think?

The sole reason for me to do it is to get all the Mavs games.

You don't have a local channel that carries all the Mavs games down there? That's a bit odd.

The Magic games are switching to FSN and my cable provider doesn't have that channel, so it makes sense if IMPster is having the same dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom