NBA 2019, Finals & Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
even if he leaves i don't really see how anything the raptors have done involving kawhi can truly be seen as a failure. sure it'll be disappointing if he goes because i want to see if this team can challenge for a repeat in the new-look eastern conference, but the purpose of getting him in the first place was clearly achieved - anything they get from him beyond this point is really just gravy for the raptors.

apparently a meeting is scheduled with the lakers on tuesday and the raptors get the last word some time after that, so i don't expect we'll have a decision either way before wednesday.

I said this offseason. That's all I'm referring to, the current free agent period. Obviously the Kawhi trade was a rousing success. But if he leaves...what is plan B? The Raptors presumably go from champs to struggling to make the playoffs if he leaves, I mean who else could they bring in to somewhat replace him at this point? Plus they don't have any cap space anyway.

Last edited:
Agree 100%.

My only hope is that this was so embarrassing for Dolan and co. that he will finally decide to sell. But it would be too good to be true.

I have had much more fun seeing games at Barclays then at MSG lately (plus it's only 15 minutes away from me).

Edit: the Knicks' hubris is really striking. There have been like 5 salary dumps in exchange for 1st round picks in the last week, and somehow they are using their cap space to sign Taj Gibson and Bobby fucking Portis because reasons. It's like it's beneath them to actually admit they are a shitty team that needs as many assets as they can find.
MSG will always be The Garden to me... and I do believe it's a special place and could be seen as a magical special place to players again.

But yea - Barclay's is a significantly cooler place. It's younger and hipper and more family friendly at the same time. It's become a great venue to take in a game.

I don't know how Dolan could be embarrassed anymore than he already is. I so think he'll sell eventually. I think he's just waiting for the right price. If Clippers sold for 2.2 billion, he's probably waiting for 5/6 billion. Then he can go on your with the Straight Shot and not have to worry about a thing.

The Oak thing is also much bigger than many realize. When the Warriors won in Cleveland, Charles Oakley celebrated with KD. When Wade played his last game in Brooklyn, Oak was courtside. He's incredibly well respected amongst the current NBA stars. Dolan dragging him out of the building in cuffs isn't just a slap in the face to every Knicks fan over the age of 30; it hurts them in free agency, specifically with the big stars.

I said this offseason. That's all I'm referring to, the current free agent period. Obviously the Kawhi trade was a rousing success. But if he leaves...what is plan B? The Raptors presumably go from champs to struggling to make the playoffs if he leaves, I mean who else could they bring in to somewhat replace him at this point? Plus they don't have any cap space anyway.

well, they'll still comfortably be a playoff team if kawhi leaves. they're keeping everyone else (aside from danny green), and there's a good chance of siakam and annunoby taking another step forward in their development. this isn't a lebron leaving the cavaliers situation.

well, they'll still comfortably be a playoff team if kawhi leaves. they're keeping everyone else (aside from danny green), and there's a good chance of siakam and annunoby taking another step forward in their development. this isn't a lebron leaving the cavaliers situation.

Yes, but you're looking at a 6-8 seed most likely with that group.

Look they went all in this season and t paid off. If I'm a Raptors fan I'm thrilled. But if Kawhi leaves and with Gasol opting in for 25.6 mil (and why wouldn't he?), they'd be hamstrung to add much to the current roster, and basically be starting almost over come next off season.

If Kawhi stays, they are clear cut favorites in the east again with Milwaukee, Philly and Boston all taking small steps back (at this point anyway) roster wise and Brooklyn's big splash not coming into full bloom till Durant returns the following season.

There's a lot on the line for the franchise moving forward.

oh totally they're no better than the bottom half of the playoffs if he goes, i'm not suggesting they'll contend for anything more than that.

i fully respect his choice to take his time to make such a huge career-defining decision, but if he does leave this waiting is really hurting the raptors ability to get a quality player in that position for next season, OG's too young to start yet and norm powell is good but he isn't a starter either. masai would probably have to pull off a trade when there isn't much to give up at other positions either (maybe gasol or ibaka). that's easily the biggest problem if kawhi ends up in LA.

Which means the waiting only makes sense if it's not going to impact his destination's roster building all that much ... which means he's probably going to the Lakers.

Not happy about the Bucks losing Brogden but I’m happy with the other Lopez and Wes Matthews. More good depth. If Giannis takes another step forward (cough jump shot cough) then the Bucks could be right back in the Conference Finals again.

Yes, but you're looking at a 6-8 seed most likely with that group.

Look they went all in this season and t paid off. If I'm a Raptors fan I'm thrilled. But if Kawhi leaves and with Gasol opting in for 25.6 mil (and why wouldn't he?), they'd be hamstrung to add much to the current roster, and basically be starting almost over come next off season.

If Kawhi stays, they are clear cut favorites in the east again with Milwaukee, Philly and Boston all taking small steps back (at this point anyway) roster wise and Brooklyn's big splash not coming into full bloom till Durant returns the following season.

There's a lot on the line for the franchise moving forward.
If Kawhi leaves the raptors likely tank and sell off parts, because if Masai didn't give a fuck before he won a chip, he's REALLY gonna not give a fuck now.

This means Gasol, Ibaka and Lowry headed for greener, less taxed pastures.

Last edited:
Lakers letting a lot of badly needed shooting go off the table (Reddick, Seth Curry), so they must think they have an honest shot at Kahwi.

tenor.gif

Hope he stays in Toronto. If so we will have 7 or 8 real contenders next year, if not more. The West especially will be wide open.

Clippers it is. With Paul George. I'm just glad he didn't go to the Lakers. Should be a fun season next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom