NBA 2019-20 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ImmediateHauntingGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

The Bulls clearly have a little talent hanging with really good teams like this, but I don't know if it's bad coaching or a thin bench or what; they can't close out games. The team is very young, so there are mental errors piling up that they'll iron out over the course of the season.

Their defensive rebounding numbers are awful, so that's one huge area to be improved. Tough to stop a dominant late run if you can't get the ball back.

Last edited:
Yeah, some of our local haters were so amped up for their colossal failure this season, they don’t know what to do with all that energy.
Yes - picking them as a top 4 seed in the most stacked conference in the history of the NBA is really being amped for their failure.

They could win 60 games this season.

They're still the 2nd best team in their own building, and you're still relying on AD and LeBron staying healthy all season, and Dwight Howard staying as a solid citizen and not a distraction.

It's the West. A 2 game losing streak drops you from the 1 seed to the 9. The season is 3 weeks old. Phoenix is a game back of the Lakers. Let's all relax, shall we?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so quick to crown them yet after 6 games including games against Charlotte and Memphis, 2 lottery locks.
They don't play a legitimate contender until December. They could easily be 16-3 or some silly number like that by December 1.

December is brutal.

January starts soft, but then the schedule turns very hard for them from MLK Day pretty much through mid March.

April is cake.

So we can expect the HOT TAKE brigade to talk about how they might win 70 through December, hear some drama in December, all's good again in January, OMG WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE LAKERS at some point in February.

Reality is they're a very good but flawed team that has a chance to compete for a title if they all stay healthy, and will go through the usual ups and downs of an unbalanced NBA schedule.

They're still the 2nd best team in their own building, and you're still relying on AD and LeBron staying healthy all season, and Dwight Howard staying as a solid citizen and not a distraction.

It's the West. A 2 game losing streak drops you from the 1 seed to the 9. The season is 3 weeks old. Phoenix is a game back of the Lakers. Let's all relax, shall we?

You get right the hell out of here with this “rational” “common sense” “wait and see” approach. [emoji57]

There are definitely a lot of “ifs” to how the Lakers end up this season. I will say that they’ve been fun to watch so far, and I’ve actually been really impressed by Dwight Howard so far - as you say, it’s early, but he seems like he might have finally figured his shit out and embraced his place as one of many role players.

Meh. I think trading KP is defensible, even for that return. It's all the other shit they have done over the years that is the problem. But unless they get rid of the owner (or at very least of Mills) nothing's going to change.

Well the trade can't really be judged yet. If that unprotected 2021 pick ends up really high then the Knicks made a good deal. Currently the Mavs look decent at 6-3, but their schedule hasn't been too tough (they lost to the Knicks lets not forget), to me it looks like Doncic, Porzingis and a collection of scrubs, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them not make the playoffs.
Who knows next year, they might improve and that pick might be like 20th and the Knicks are screwed yet again, or they might be a lottery team and the Knicks might get a good pick that they can foul up.

And trading KP is also about not having to pay KP $160 million over the next five years. He has the potential to be worth that, sure, but has not yet translated that into actual performance (even when he's been able to play). And even if he's worth that to Dallas as a second banana to Doncic, he clearly didn't match the Knicks' timeline.

The question is whether there were better packages out there for him, and I obviously don't trust the Knicks to have done a good job on that front. But letting him go imo is a better outcome than mistakenly giving him that contract.

“I remember the lady from the NBA coming to get me,” Parker said. “There was, like, three minutes on the (draft countdown) clock. She came to get me and said, ‘OK, you’re going to be the next one. They’re going to draft you, 19 or 21, something like that.”

Boston was up at No. 21, and Parker had enjoyed one of his best pre-draft workouts for the Celtics.

Then, before he could wrap his head around possibly wearing Celtics green, the “lady from the NBA” returned.

“She came back and said, ‘Oh, no, go back,'” Parker said. “I don’t know what happened.”

What happened was a last-minute change of mind by the Celtics, making their third pick of the first round.

The Celtics’ basketball operations department was led in 2001 by Chris Wallace, Boston’s brand-new GM, in charge of a draft for the first time in his career as an NBA executive.

Wallace was ready to pull the trigger on drafting Parker until he was overruled by an 84-year-old basketball legend.

Arnold “Red” Auerbach, who had served as Boston’s coach from 1950 through 1966, then as general manager from 1966 through 1984, remained club president and vice-chairman. The man who celebrated Celtics wins by lighting a victory cigar while still on the team bench remained actively involved in basketball decisions, including the draft, though he resided in Washington, D.C.

It was Auerbach who nixed Parker and insisted that North Carolina shooting guard Joe Forte be the team’s pick at No. 21, a fact confirmed in recent days by several league executives familiar with the Celtics decision on what would become a fateful night for the Spurs.

Auerbach, one executive said, remained skeptical of European point guards. Plus, he had seen many of Forte’s games when Forte was a star for DeMatha Catholic High School, the famed hoops program in Hyattsville, Md., run by Auerbach’s friend, legendary prep coach Morgan Wootten.

Wallace deferred.

Boston picked Forte.

Parker returned to his seat.

Oops.

Well the trade can't really be judged yet. If that unprotected 2021 pick ends up really high then the Knicks made a good deal. Currently the Mavs look decent at 6-3, but their schedule hasn't been too tough (they lost to the Knicks lets not forget), to me it looks like Doncic, Porzingis and a collection of scrubs, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them not make the playoffs.
Who knows next year, they might improve and that pick might be like 20th and the Knicks are screwed yet again, or they might be a lottery team and the Knicks might get a good pick that they can foul up.

Luka is on a fast track to top 5 player status.

And trading KP is also about not having to pay KP $160 million over the next five years. He has the potential to be worth that, sure, but has not yet translated that into actual performance (even when he's been able to play). And even if he's worth that to Dallas as a second banana to Doncic, he clearly didn't match the Knicks' timeline.

The question is whether there were better packages out there for him, and I obviously don't trust the Knicks to have done a good job on that front. But letting him go imo is a better outcome than mistakenly giving him that contract.

You're making the assumption that the Knicks have a timeline.

They did. It was to sign KD and Kyrie. Now I guess they think they're going to sign Giannis - which will end in the same results as this off-season.

Because, as we know, the owner is a fool and no one on their right minds would play for him on purpose.

Which is why you don't trade KP - or at the very least, don't trade him for cap space.

The irony of ironies in the KP trade is that including DeAndre Jordan in the trade - who they wanted because he was close to KD and Kyrie - pretty much torpedoed the entire thing by seeing first hand what a dysfunctional mess the franchise was.

KP on that contract would have been detrimental to whatever scenario you can conceive for the Knicks - with other free agents (he would occupied too much cap space) or youngsters (he is not going to make a team full of 19/20 year-olds competitive). The only case you can make for KP at that price, and I think it's still a tough case, is that he can put an already competitive team over the top. And even Dallas with a Doncic generational level talent is taking a pretty huge risk signing KP (also, what's with Doncic and his stupid shots/turnovers? He's just so good and doesn't need that shit).

As an aside, signing 31-year KD with a bummed Achilles + Kyrie would have been dumb too, and I think the Knicks' utter incompetence in this case saved them from a dead end (we'll see with Brooklyn next year, but even the Nets had a much better all-around cast and coach than the Knicks).

As I said, the question is whether there were better packages for KP. It's very possible that there were, as the Knicks never seemed to do their due diligence there. But what kind of offer would teams make to a rape-accused, busted-ACL, soon-to-be very expensive 7'3 guy who refuses to play center, has never shot better than 0.546 true-shooting %, is a poor rebounder, and averaged 62 games a season even before his lost season in 2018-19? All I'm saying is that if there were no better returns, I would still have done the Dallas trade and not gone for the KD/Kyrie plan.

And KP puts on a vintage performance against Boston.

Still a few minutes left, but 4 points in 1-11 shooting, 5 rebounds and 5 fouls.

KP on that contract would have been detrimental to whatever scenario you can conceive for the Knicks - with other free agents (he would occupied too much cap space) or youngsters (he is not going to make a team full of 19/20 year-olds competitive). The only case you can make for KP at that price, and I think it's still a tough case, is that he can put an already competitive team over the top. And even Dallas with a Doncic generational level talent is taking a pretty huge risk signing KP (also, what's with Doncic and his stupid shots/turnovers? He's just so good and doesn't need that shit).

As an aside, signing 31-year KD with a bummed Achilles + Kyrie would have been dumb too, and I think the Knicks' utter incompetence in this case saved them from a dead end (we'll see with Brooklyn next year, but even the Nets had a much better all-around cast and coach than the Knicks).

As I said, the question is whether there were better packages for KP. It's very possible that there were, as the Knicks never seemed to do their due diligence there. But what kind of offer would teams make to a rape-accused, busted-ACL, soon-to-be very expensive 7'3 guy who refuses to play center, has never shot better than 0.546 true-shooting %, is a poor rebounder, and averaged 62 games a season even before his lost season in 2018-19? All I'm saying is that if there were no better returns, I would still have done the Dallas trade and not gone for the KD/Kyrie plan.

This is the problem with Knicks fans today...

You're thinking keeping KP is a detriment to bringing in free agents. You're saying KP was/is flawed. If given enough time there will probably be some comment on his brother or some shit.

I'm saying no legitimate top tier free agent will ever sign with that franchise as long as that man is still the owner. I'm saying that nobody considers MSG a destination anymore, and the benefits of being in New York are negated by the presence of another team with competent ownership and management.

Thus/then... should probably take a chance on a 7'3" young all star, warts and all, because Giannis - like every single major free agent over the entirety of Dolan's ownership, ain't walking through that door.

You're thinking keeping KP is a detriment to bringing in free agents. You're saying KP was/is flawed. If given enough time there will probably be some comment on his brother or some shit.

Dude, you are the only one who is talking about FAs. All I'm saying is that KP may only be worth that contract for a franchise that is on the cusp of competing, which is not the case for the Knicks. They should not have taken a chance on that contract, whatever scenario they are envisioning. Add KP to this team, and perhaps instead of being the worst team in the NBA they would be the fourth worst team in the NBA. I'd rather have higher draft picks and cap space that could be used to acquire assets (of course the Knicks are dumb enough to not do this).

I'd rather have the current situation than the current situation + KP. Hope that's clear enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom