National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The possibility of a Phoniex or LA in the Stanley Cup finals is just mind blowing.

The Coyotes getting in would be funnier considering the team's situation the last few years. The NHL might be secretly hoping LA gets in simply because they are the number two tv market.

The Coyotes getting in would be funnier considering the team's situation the last few years. The NHL might be secretly hoping LA gets in simply because they are the number two tv market.

Define 'the NHL'.

I'm sure guys like Gary Bettman want nothing more than to see Phoenix up there. That'll surely give some life to that market.

Hopefully.

At least the Phillies won the World Series in 2008. That was pretty cool.

I don't think I'm ever going to see a championship again.

We'll see. Bryzgalov still scares me, and things have a way of falling apart around here. Injuries may rear their ugly head. I don't know.

Define 'the NHL'.

I'm sure guys like Gary Bettman want nothing more than to see Phoenix up there. That'll surely give some life to that market.

Hopefully.

Yes, but the rest of North America might not share the same opinion. "NHL" being the suits working in the main office counting the beans not named Gary Bettman. If LA gets in, that's Market 2 in their championship game. If the NY Rangers were to make it to the Cup as well, the NHL would have an orgasm.

I do believe NHL officials would spontaneously combust if LA and NY met in the finals.

We'll see. Bryzgalov still scares me, and things have a way of falling apart around here. Injuries may rear their ugly head. I don't know.

Considering the wholesale changes they made last season, I think this year was a success. Of course, I say that from an outsider's point of view. :wink:

There is no real rationale behind it. It's just one of those feelings. The Pens series gave us the hope that this team was different. The Devils series proved this was just the wheels spinning again. It's not that it ended in a loss; it is how it was lost. Looking completely fooled and unable to adjust for four straight games simply took the wind out of everything.

I also think that, cliché though it may be, hate accounts for a lot in a playoff series, and the Flyers wanted to beat the Pens so bad. There was so much animosity between them, and that was evident throughout the season and playoffs.

They didn't "hate" the Devils nearly as much, and the Pens series was physically and emotionally draining.

I do believe NHL officials would spontaneously combust if LA and NY met in the finals.

Considering the wholesale changes they made last season, I think this year was a success. Of course, I say that from an outsider's point of view. :wink:

Even though LA is the #2 US market, I'm not sure the Kings will be a huge TV draw (although certainly they'll be better than the Coyotes). The league/network I'm sure would much prefer the Red Wings or Blackhawks had come out of the west, its quite probable the Canucks would have provided better draw throught the US and Canada than LA as well.

Clearly the league is pulling for the Rangers now to come out of the east, even though Ovechkin is the biggest name left standing. If its PHX/NJ or PHX/WAS it'll possibly be the lowest rated finals ever....LA/NY will do pretty well, but even with those 2 cities I don't think its the best match-up the league could have hoped for at the beginning of the playoffs ratings-wise.

The problem for the NHL stanley cup finals in regards of ratings is always the same,they don't draw the attentions of hockey fans outside of the 2 teams making it to the final.If N.Y. and L.A make it to the final,it will draw the attention of hockey fans in L.A. and N.Y. period. Hockey fans in the other 21 U.S. teams won't give a rat ass about it.Unless it goes to a game 7,then that could create thiny-mini buzz just like the 2009 game 7 between Pittsburgh and Detroit.

At least the Phillies won the World Series in 2008. That was pretty cool.

I don't think I'm ever going to see a championship again.

Hey man... the Panthers finally made the playoffs. I never thought it would happen.

I think you're just stuck in a 'we just lost, and with that loss all hope is gone' mindset.

The problem for the NHL stanley cup finals in regards of ratings is always the same,they don't draw the attentions of hockey fans outside of the 2 teams making it to the final.If N.Y. and L.A make it to the final,it will draw the attention of hockey fans in L.A. and N.Y. period. Hockey fans in the other 21 U.S. teams won't give a rat ass about it.Unless it goes to a game 7,then that could create thiny-mini buzz just like the 2009 game 7 between Pittsburgh and Detroit.

A lot of us Canadians will watch the Stanley Cup no matter what - granted you're only discussing the US teams, but don't discount the fans north of the border...

Since the Rangers couldn't win in game 6, I'm officially eliminated from my pool.

That being said, I will absolutely be watching the SCF. The only reason I'm watching is because one of LA or Phoenix will be in the finals. Two unexpected teams, and two teams that really are a change in pace from the same-old same-old bullshit we've had to put up with for the past few years.

Your opinions are always...interesting.

It's no coincidence that the NHL was at its most popular in 1993, when Los Angeles and Montreal made the finals, and when the Rangers won the Cup in 1994.

To think the NHL wouldn't want that again is crazy.

Also, what Drea said. I'm going to watch straight through to the last game, because there is nothing like the playoffs.

Your opinions are always...interesting.

It's no coincidence that the NHL was at its most popular in 1993, when Los Angeles and Montreal made the finals, and when the Rangers won the Cup in 1994.

Of course that LA team had Wayne Gretzky. I don't think this LA team is gonna capture the imagination of anyone outside LA who wouldn't otherwise be watching regardless of the combatants should they reach the finals.

And imagine if the Lakers are playing the Clippers for the NBA Western Conf Final (a longshot, but still a possibility)when the Kings start the Stanley Cup Finals...nobody in LA would pay attention to the Kings either (and scheduling Staples would be a nightmare).

Of course that LA team had Wayne Gretzky. I don't think this LA team is gonna capture the imagination of anyone outside LA who wouldn't otherwise be watching regardless of the combatants should they reach the finals.

And imagine if the Lakers are playing the Clippers for the NBA Western Conf Final (a longshot, but still a possibility)when the Kings start the Stanley Cup Finals...nobody in LA would pay attention to the Kings either (and scheduling Staples would be a nightmare).

Yeah, that's also true.

Just the latest incident of an athlete speaking to hometown media, never thinking that in this interconnected world, what they say will still make its way everywhere.

Bryzgalov sounds off about Philly fans to Russian paper

TSN.ca Staff

5/11/2012 11:57:01 AM

Though he did not make himself available to local reporters on Thursday, Philadelphia Flyers netminder Ilya Bryzgalov freely spoke his mind to a Russian newspaper about being the latest hometown goalie to face the city's wrath.

"What I lived through this season I wouldn't wish to an enemy," he told Natalia Bragilevskaya of SovSport in an interview tranlsated by Philly.com.

"I need to keep working. I understand the fans. They paid their money and want the show. But many forget that we are not robots, but living people. We have feelings, worries."

The Flyers were eliminated in five games by the New Jersey Devils in the second round of the NHL playoffs despite dispatching the Cup-contending Pittsburgh Penguins in the previous round.

Bryzgalov faced criticism for his play throughout the playoffs. The Flyers were able to outslug the Penguins in the first round despite the Russian goalie posting a series save percentage of just .886.

In the second round, however, Bryzgalov was better, posting a .910 save percentage. But the Flyers were unable to score at the same rate against the defensively-sound Devils managing just over two goals per game in their four consecutive losses to finish the series.

"I got very tired this season, to be honest," he said. "Now I know what it's like to be a goaltender in Philadelphia. Maybe from the outside it looks like there's nothing to it. You only realize it on your own."

The Flyers have gone through a myriad of options in net over the past two decades of playoff hockey. Since the team traded former Conn Smythe-winner Ron Hextall in 1992, the team has tried numerous options in net without anyone becoming the game-breaker needed to take the last step to winning the Stanley Cup.

Goaltenders like Michael Leighton, Sergei Bobrovsky, Brian Boucher and Ray Emery all had a crack at the Flyers' starting job before the team shelled out big money - $51 million over nine years - to lure the former Coyotes standout to town.

While Bryzgalov's play was sound throughout the regular season, posting a 33-16-7 record with a .909 save percentage and six shutouts, but he still felt the pressure in such a hockey-mad market.

"It is difficult" he said. "My face is everywhere. Everyone is talking about me: 'Bryzgalov played well.' 'Philadelphia won, but Bryz made a mistake again.' 'Yes, he wasn't scored against but could have been'"

He stressed in the interview that he was human, but in a market like Philadelphia understanding may be hard to come by.

"Who doesn't make mistakes?" he asked. "How many [pucks] did I catch before then? But very few notice that. People are so concentrated on the negative that they only see the bad in me. But I think you need to be kinder to each other."
beacon.dll

Back
Top Bottom