Nar Nar Goon, Victoria, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, Obviously! :wink:

Aside from Adele, Tori, U2 and a couple of other artists I listen to frequently, I could give a flying about any new upcoming bands/music in general at the moment. I've really lost interest.

Haha, whereas I'm at a ridiculous level for 2011 already. So much exciting stuff happening in the blackgaze scene at the moment.

I've been blasting the hell out of the Manic Street Preachers lately.

If it wasn't for Ax helpfully playing new stuff all the time, I'd probably still be stuck on some album from 2007 or earlier. It takes me about a month just to get through and get to know one album. I'm very, very slow.

2011 has some great bands putting out releases, but none of my absolute favorites really. I'm not super excited yet. Not having my own computer is not helping.

I don't mean any offence by it, it just seems to me that when people listen to albums sometimes and like them, they'll just post with "this is really good" and then not post about it again, yknow? So when I go and listen to something and love it and then write 10 posts in a row about how much I love it, I feel my enthusiasm kind of kills everyone else's, though I know it doesn't.

Like when iyup said he loved Bloodbuzz Ohio once and said he could relate to the lyrics, and I said please elaborate and he did and at the end said sorry for going overboard there. No! I wish everyone went overboard :lol:

:)

Yeah, I see what you're saying, and I don't think it's a negative thing to go overboard. Perhaps it's just hard for some people to share deeper feelings with people they are seeing face to face, you know?

Personally, I find nothing wrong with your enthusiasm :).

And for a third post in a row, my opinions on 2011 so far.

As you will see, I'm full-time using the wondrous smiley face system. As you will recall, the smiley faces do not translate from Word to Interference, so J's = :). *EDIT*: Apparently Chromes makes the faces boxes instead of J's. The ranking system goes from two Frowney faces to three Smiley faces, with a :| face as the middle. As you will also recall, I am a small child.

Also, this year, I have written notes to myself on how I feel about each album. I am too lazy to delete those notes, so enjoy a look into my brain.

Albums I’ve heard from 2011:

1. Destroyer – Kaputt (This is just a wonderful album all around. The instruments, the vocals, the ambience. A wonderful night time album and just a great record. Seriously. Wow.)   
2. The Decemberists – The King is Dead   ½ (Is this seriously the Decemberists? I mean…seriously? How wonderfully different this is. The album fits together by sheer song power alone, instead of a pretentious story. The music is beautifully folky. It’s just such a departure from anything else they’ve done, and it’s wonderful as a result.)
3. Adele – 21   ½ (A few songs near the end brush by, but overall, this is a fun listen, beautiful music, and a wonderful vocalist. Glad this is getting the hype it is)
4. Iron & Wine – Kiss Each Other Clean (There was a great amount of instrumentation here that you’re not going to find on most commercial releases these days, and I thought the manner in which there were used was quite pleasant to the ear. I wish I had paid the album a bit more attention so I could perhaps better pick out these 70s influences that are apparently prevalent throughout. I’m sure there will be more opportunities in the future)  
5. tUnE-yArDs – w h o k I l l   (fun beats, starkly bleak lyrics, definitely an album worth spinning more than a few times this summer)
6. TV On The Radio – Nine Types of Light   (The most accessible TVOTR album? By far. The music is almost pop here. Not that all of the experimentation is gone, but they’re definitely not trying so hard to blow your mind with this release. Which is fine by me. They are fantastic musicians, and an engaging vocalist.)
7. The Mountain Goats – All Eternals Deck   (Opens with a number that’s TMG to a T and then launches into a lively number of songs that came as a complete surprise. The lyrics still paint a vivid picture of life as John knows it, but the music is something altogether new, as far as I am aware. Very interesting new spin)
8. Elbow – Build a Rocket Boys! 
9. The Dodos – No Color  
10. Radiohead – The King of Limbs  (Short and sweet. Radiohead actually wearing their influences on their sleeves for once is an interesting twist. Second half is fantastic, only one song on here that’s not so great. Definitely enjoyed this one)
11. Panda Bear – Tomboy  ½ (A fair bit of monotony. Seems like more of a collection of Animal Collective b-sides than anything else. The material begs for a few more listens, however, so I’m willing to give it another shot)
12. Lia Ices – Grown Unknown  ½ (Extremely pretty dark girl rock ballads, but nothing that ever really sticks with you. It’s nice, but not really worth returning to for a third time)
13. Cut Copy – Zonoscope (Never mind, I clearly just do not like this album very much. A handful of standout tracks, but in the end, a cohesive album that doesn’t come near its predecessor.) 
14. Tennis – Cape Dory  (An excellent exercise in the genre of Surf Rock. Unfortunately, I hate Surf Rock)
15. Darwin Deez – A few stand out tracks (especially the opening trio), but the trip pop quickly becomes repetitive, which is unfortunate in a 30 minute long album 
16. Cage the Elephant – Thank You, Happy Birthday (Something to be said in the fact that this started as a 2 smile album and ended a one. Either it was too long, or the songs were too similar. One or the other. Something to be said in the fact that my favorite song was the one that sounded the lest like Cage the Elephant) 
17. Cloud Nothings – Cloud Nothings (Amazing fun music, coupled with terrible repetitive lyrics. If the music grows on me enough, this could move up a spot or two by the end of the year) 
18. British Sea Power – Valhalla Dancehall (Nothing particularly jumping out on this one, but it’s not a bad record either. Nice to know they’ve stopped being U.2. Welcome to 2011 bitches.) 

Favorite Songs of 2011:

Bell X1 – Velcro
Cage the Elephant – Flow
Destroyer – Suicide Demo for Kara Walker
Cloud Nothings – On the Radio
Cut Copy – Alisa
Elbow – Lippy Kids
Radiohead – Codex
Adele – Rolling in the Deep
TV On the Radio – Will Do, Yes
The Decemberists – January Hymn, Don’t Carry It All

Haha, Ashley, I don't think I've listened to a single album you have. Will post a list later - we're going out for dinner and to see The Beards perform a free show. If your daddy doesn't have a beard, you have two mummies.

Can't wait for albums from Washed Out and Russian Circles later this year.

Axver's too cool to be a hipster. :wink:

Seriously, I should probably get around to Destroyer pretty soon, especially since one my friends is consistently bugging me to listen to them.

Where is that? I can see a wall post by you about an Aussie tour, but they just like it, no comments ...

They did reply with "Yes we are coming to Australia in July 2011" (I have the email notification to prove it!), but must have deleted their reply. I'm pretty sure they got confused with Austria. :|

I may actually cry if they tour here while I'm overseas. :( What are the odds they'll tour here again??

Mind you, they're pretty active for a band I thought had decided to stop making music.

Haha, whereas I'm at a ridiculous level for 2011 already. So much exciting stuff happening in the blackgaze scene at the moment.

The what scene?? I swear you're just making these genres up. :lol:

If it wasn't for Ax helpfully playing new stuff all the time, I'd probably still be stuck on some album from 2007 or earlier. It takes me about a month just to get through and get to know one album. I'm very, very slow.

This. :hi5:
Except I'm stuck on the stuff he introduced me to two years ago. *L*

I may actually cry if they tour here while I'm overseas. :( What are the odds they'll tour here again??

Maybe you should go overseas in August. :wink:

The what scene?? I swear you're just making these genres up. :lol:

Think Alcest. The marriage of atmospheric black metal with shoegaze, and post-rock too.

Except I'm stuck on the stuff he introduced me to two years ago. *L*

That's because you don't bring your MP3 player around enough! :wink:

Were they more beardy than ZZ Top?

YES. Beards beards beards!

No one can be beardier than ZZ.

Are Alpine metal Ax? If so, pass, but if not, your pimping of them has me interested. Have they released anything this year?

I'm guessing if they're playing at Splendour they're not metal.

For quite a while, I used to believe that ZZ Top were a group of rocking Rabbis. A particular Simpsons episode didn't help.

Ah yes, Alpine are as black and growly as the night ...

No, I made that up. They're really nice indie-pop kind of stuff with two female vocalists. They throw glitter around on the stage and they're glorious. They released their EP called Zurich this year, I'm pretty sure you can get it on iTunes. Definitely have a listen :)

Can't wait for massively cheap chocolate at the supermarket on Monday.

Seanbaby is a monster of awesome. Everything he does drips racism, bigotry and homophobia, but it's all so fucking hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom