Name your Top 5 Songs of All-TIME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LastEdgeOnEarth said:
Thanks to those who just listed there tops without a snide comment or being offended by my so called "snobbish-ness".

I would genuinely like to know your opinion of the five songs I listed, though I suspect it would be "what the fuck was that noisy crap?"

I find listing a real top five to be almost impossible as I enjoy too much music. Just listing the top five songs by any one of my favourite bands is almost impossible, and bringing that together even more so. These days, I find myself more concerned with the overall album as a work of art than with specific songs, so that makes it harder still.

But here's a stab at a genuine top five.

1. One Tree Hill by U2
2. The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows by Pure Reason Revolution
3. Piano Lessons by Porcupine Tree
4. In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion by Agalloch
5. Recurring Dream by Crowded House

Axver said:

I would genuinely like to know your opinion of the five songs I listed, though I suspect it would be "what the fuck was that noisy crap?"

I find listing a real top five to be almost impossible as I enjoy too much music. Just listing the top five songs by any one of my favourite bands is almost impossible, and bringing that together even more so. These days, I find myself more concerned with the overall album as a work of art than with specific songs, so that makes it harder still.

But here's a stab at a genuine top five.

1. One Tree Hill by U2
2. The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows by Pure Reason Revolution
3. Piano Lessons by Porcupine Tree
4. In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion by Agalloch
5. Recurring Dream by Crowded House

I've never heard of ANY of the titles from your FIRST list, but I will look into them and your SECOND list too and be sure ot let ya know what I think. And thanks alot for naming them. I love checking out new stuff...EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE!

Lila64 said:

No love for TimmyT? that makes the baby jebus cry :scream:

Timmy isn't Top 40 enough for my tastes. I stuck with the classics for this one. Timmy is a bit more obscure and refined. If this were Top 5 songs of all -time BAR NONE, then yeah, Timmy is on there, right behind Mandy by Barry. I was working within the stated confines.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
Thanks to those who just listed there tops without a snide comment or being offended by my so called "snobbish-ness".

No problem, man, I enjoyed this excercise immensly, so Thank YOU! :hi5:

Last edited:
Axver said:

You know, I think listening trends have changed so much over the last 15 or 20 years. There's so much less emphasis on the album as a whole now than there used to be, in large part because of CDs and then mp3 players. There's less appreciation now of transitions and flow, because very often we either don't listen to every song on an album or don't listen to them in the order that the artist intended.

At the same time, these same things have made listening to music so much more interactive--we can put together our own albums or mixes, or rearrange the tracks on an album we love. I do worry about the future of the album, though, in an industry that increasingly seems to place most of its emphasis on individual songs and multi-artist "hits" compilations.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

You know, I think listening trends have changed so much over the last 15 or 20 years. There's so much less emphasis on the album as a whole now than there used to be, in large part because of CDs and then mp3 players. There's less appreciation now of transitions and flow, because very often we either don't listen to every song on an album or don't listen to them in the order that the artist intended.

At the same time, these same things have made listening to music so much more interactive--we can put together our own albums or mixes, or rearrange the tracks on an album we love. I do worry about the future of the album, though, in an industry that increasingly seems to place most of its emphasis on individual songs and multi-artist "hits" compilations.

Amen. And I about crapped myself when I saw your from Binghamton. I live about 20 minutes south in PA. It's nice to know there are people locally who have a brain when it comes to music.

Sorry if I was a bit snappish in my comment last night. It's my knee-jerk response to anyone who says something resembling "don't give me that overplayed top 40 crap."

corianderstem said:
Sorry if I was a bit snappish in my comment last night. It's my knee-jerk response to anyone who says something resembling "don't give me that overplayed top 40 crap."

It's cool. I should have been more specific in my original post of what I was looking for. I just never have anyone to talk music with because all the people I know only listen to the "top 40". Sorry, but most of it is OVERPLAYED. It just pollutes the airwaves in my humble opinion.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Amen. And I about crapped myself when I saw your from Binghamton. I live about 20 minutes south in PA. It's nice to know there are people locally who have a brain when it comes to music.

Well...it's not like there's a whole lot else to do around here. I've lived here for four years and have yet to find an independent music store, though. I buy most of my music online, or pick it up somewhere when I'm visiting friends.

Ok, what the hell...

You start the thread with this:

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
Here are mine not necessarily in order and until I hear something else to change the order...

Your Hand In Mine- Explosions in the Sky
Caught by the River- Doves
The Cockfigther- Scott Walker
Such a Small Love- Scott Walker
The Fuse- Bruce Springsteen

There is no mention of what type of songs you would like us to list for you so when you get a response which apparently has songs you have already heard (even though the title of the thread is Name Your Top 5 Songs of ALL-TIME :huh: ) your response is this:

Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth
Look, I mainly started this thread to find new and exciting stuff to checkout. So please, if all you base your list off of the local top 40 station, then don't bother responding. I've heard all them Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin gems too. I don't need to check out anymore of them.

Are we all mind readers or something??? On top of that you insult people and their taste in music:

Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth
Please eat me, pipsqueak.

Your list consisted of Beck. That says it all about you.

And you wonder why you get the responses you do? While I am not saying Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera is high art or anything (sorry Beav) what is wrong with Top 40 if it's all you have? This is about us posting our opinions right? If I want to list a Pussy Cat Dolls song as one of MY top 5 of all time, I'm entitled to that opinion... No matter how wrong it is :wink:

Besides, Bruce Springsteen and Doves are not exactly unheard of...

I'm still mulling over my list. Like other posters have said, it changes frequently. (But if it frequently changes, how can it be your "all time favorite," right? Oh well. That's too much thinking for 9:21 in the morning.)

I can tell you which songs make me say "ooh, yay!" when they pop up on my iPod, but would I call them my all time favorite? ... yeah, I'll still have to think about it some more.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Please eat me, pipsqueak.

Burn :lol:

Alright, I'll post mine now (at least what it is today):

David Bowie - Life on Mars?
The Flaming Lips - Bad Days (Aurally Excited Version)
Simon & Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy in New York
U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
The Who - A Quick One, While He's Away

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Well...it's not like there's a whole lot else to do around here. I've lived here for four years and have yet to find an independent music store, though. I buy most of my music online, or pick it up somewhere when I'm visiting friends.

Yeah I stick to the internet too. Though I'll find something neat at Barnes and Noble on the Vestal Parkway occasionally...then go buy it online because they ask too much.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Name your Top 5 Songs of All-TIME

elevated_u2_fan said:

bastards! :angry:

I did apologize!!!

To me, maybe, but did you go to BritneySPears.com and Xtina.com and apologize to the artists you insulted? I've been at both sites for all day and I didn't see ONE apology from elevated_Xtina_fan or Elev8ed_Brit_Fan. Not one. Disgraceful. :tsk:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Name your Top 5 Songs of All-TIME

UberBeaver said:

To me, maybe, but did you go to BritneySPears.com and Xtina.com and apologize to the artists you insulted? I've been at both sites for all day and I didn't see ONE apology from elevated_Xtina_fan or Elev8ed_Brit_Fan. Not one. Disgraceful. :tsk:

I don't know what I was thinking... :(

This was a near impossible task but as the thread starter asked to put non-top 40 material well here is a current list I would put in the top.

Elvis Presley - Kentucky Rain
Genesis - Deep In The Motherlode
U2 - So Cruel
U2 - Zooropa
Jewel Kilcher - Angel(Cowboy Waltz)

Thrice - Atlantic
Edison Glass - When All We Have Is Taken/Comfort
U2 - Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Dream Theater - Hell's Kitchen
Neal Morse - The Separated Man

Dow Jones Syndrome -The Soundtrack of Our Lives
Carcass -Siouxsie & The Banshees
Monolith -T. Rex
Swamp -Talking Heads
Stay -David Bowie

Not exactly /new/ but hey, they are my Top 5 Songs of All-Time this week!
I'm too lazy to be obscure, myself >_>;

Very difficult, but probably something like this:

U2 - Love Is Blindness
Jeff Buckley - Lover, You Should've Come Over
Muse - Citizen Erased
The Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
Belle & Sebastian - The Fox In The Snow

Honorable mention to Joy Division - She's Lost Control

Ooh this is a hard one. So this will probably change tomorrow and is currently out of order.

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)- U2
The Shopper- The Bo Dukes (They're not a well-known band at all.)
High and Dry- Jamie Cullum
The Alamo Is No Place For Dancing- The Scene Aesthetic
Heroes- David Bowie

Beautiful Day-U2
Comfortably Numb-Pink floyd
A Day in the Life-The Beatles
The Scientist-Coldplay
Shadow on the Sun-Audioslave

Redemption Song-Bob Marley (Have to include this one)

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:
Ooops I did it Again - Britney Spears
My Humps - Black Eyed Peas (or maybe just Fergie?)
Parents Just Don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince
Genie in a Bottle - Christina Aguilera
Livin La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin

That is the start of a most amazing playlist...:drool:

If I were to honestly answer this question:

1. Idiot Wind-Bob Dylan
2. Dirge-Bob Dylan
3. Wedding Song-Bob Dylan
4. Idioteque-Radiohead
5. True Love Waits-Radiohead

If I wanted to be a little less boring:

1. Idiot Wind-Bob Dylan
2. Idioteque-Radiohead
3. Jungleland-Bruce Springsteen
4. Neighborhood #2 (Laika)-Arcade Fire
5. Last Call-Elliott Smith

powerhour24 said:
^Nice choice with "Shadow of the Sun", such an awesome track.

Thanks... I figured most people here would tar and feather me for putting that as a serious choice. I've been hard core into audioslave for the past year:wink:

Back
Top Bottom