Name the DVD you just bought.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Similar to the Name The Album You Just Bought threads over in B&C, this will be the place-to-go to share insights into the wonderful world of DVD shopping. Pretty self-explanitory, so I'll get the ball rolling.

Throughout the last few days:

The Godfather Trilogy
Duck, You Sucker
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Serpico
Lawrence of Arabia
Leon: The Professional
Days of Heaven: The Criterion Collection

I used to buy a lot of DVDs. These days, not so much.

The last couple I bought were the REM Live CD/DVD combo, and an import of the Muse Absolution DVD.

And I just ordered a used copy of Dreamgirls from Amazon.com. (I have a thing for musicals. :wink: )

Some good flicks there lance, I've got a couple of those myself. Did you get the bonus disc with the Godfather set?

I've recently bought:

Cinema Paradiso 4 disc collector's edition
Arsenic and Old Lace (Cary Grant ftw)

monkeyskin said:
Some good flicks there lance, I've got a couple of those myself. Did you get the bonus disc with the Godfather set?

I've recently bought:

Cinema Paradiso 4 disc collector's edition
Arsenic and Old Lace (Cary Grant ftw)

Yeah, I did. Haven't got around to browsing through it yet though.

Both your recent picks are on my radar as well.

I think I'm going through a trashy erotic thriller phase. I just picked up:

American Gigolo
Body Heat
Unfaithful
Original Sin (Unrated Version)
Romeo is Bleeding

Got 'em in a 5 for £10 deal.

The Thing
Dr. Strangelove
Jaws
Barton Fink
Labyrinth
Fight Club

I might hit a used movie deal at Blockbuster/Hollywood Video soon revolving around Knocked Up, Transformers, and another movie, not sure yet.

Gah, I've been buying each season of Seinfeld when it comes down to a respectable price, knowing full well there'd be a complete box set, but not expecting a bonus disc with something that sounds as good as this round table discussion.

Guess I'll be renting that one then.

monkeyskin said:
Gah, I've been buying each season of Seinfeld when it comes down to a respectable price, knowing full well there'd be a complete box set, but not expecting a bonus disc with something that sounds as good as this round table discussion.

Guess I'll be renting that one then.
It'll be on youtube within 7 days. There's always some uber geek wanting to share the love.

Roseanne (Season 9)

I bought the dvds below because they were released especially because of Halloween ...

Halloween

Halloween II

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch

(Box set) Friday The 13th

Carrie

The Blob

(Box set) The Omen

Rosemary's Baby

The Exorcist

Invasion of The Body Snatchers

Deadly Friend

The Birds

Psycho

Rear Window

Dial 'M' For Murder

When A Stranger Calls

Just went to Amoeba music in Hollywood, and splurged a little:

*On Her Majesty's Secret Service
*The Spy Who Loved Me
*The Man With the Golden Gun

These James Bond films are all the older editions (still packed with bonus features) that have been marked down since the boxed sets came out. The last two I got for $5 each, a steal. I already have Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, From Russia With Love, and Live & Let Die, and the only other ones I feel like owning are Thunderball, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, and Dr. No.

*The Snow Queen

This is something I found in the bargain bin for $1.99, and is some Russian animated Hans Christian Andersen adaptation from 1957. I checked it out on IMDB and it has a legion of fans who rate it very highly, saying it's worlds away from the saccharine world of Disney.

* Madame Bovary
* The Adventures of Don Juan
* My Name is Ivan

These were all laserdiscs and $3.99 each. The first is Vincente Minnelli's Flabert adaptation, which recently came out on DVD. I didn't feel it was necessary to own this in the optimum format, though I've never seen it before. It's older, minor Minnelli but I've heard there's some good things in it. Don Juan is one of Errol Flynn's more famous films, and I haven't seen it before--I'm very excited to see it as I just finished reading Flynn's autobiography and am a huge fan right now. The last is Andrei Tarkovsky's first film, Venice Film Fest winner and the only one of his I haven't seen yet.

So our local Hollywood video is in the process of going out of business, so their HORRIBLE collection of DVDs has been steadily declining in both price and quality these past few months. It closed in 5 days, so I went on one final hunt for hidden treaures.

I bought a NEW version of United 93 for about $4, which I'm very happy about.

I bought a used/good condition copy of Color Me Kubrick for around $3.

And the cherry on top is a used copy of Wendigo for 1.99. Now, there's a huge funny story behind this terrible movie and my motivations for buying it tonight. Short version: My friend Will has claimed for years that this is the worst movie ever made, but we've never been able to find it anywhere to see or even acknowledge its existence. My friend Matt and I were talking just the other day about how we should find this movie and give it to Will as his X-mas present this year.

Well, I found it. I bought it. I'm ridiculously happy about it. Huzzah.

I missed when the Hollywood Video down the street went out of business, so now my main source of used, relatively new DVDs is the ratty-ass Blockbuster.

Most recent purchase was Knocked Up.

Currently on my wish list:

The Hunt for Red October
Superman II - The Richard Donner Cut
Gladiator (I know, somehow I don't already own this!)

elevated_u2_fan said:

You can have mine if you want. :wink: This is one of those movies that I liked the first couple of times I watched it but it has really lost it's appeal as the years went by...

You know, that's how I feel about most of the movies I own, even the great ones. Whenever I'm in the mood to see a movie, I want to see anything but the ones I own!

From Half-Price Books tonight:

Murder By Decree: Christopher Plummer as Sherlock Holmes and James Mason as Watson, hunting down Jack the Ripper. From the writer/director of A Christmas Story!! Do you really need to know any more than that?

The Secret Life of Dentists: One of the few Alan Rudolph films I haven't seen. Campbell Scott. Hope Davis. $3.00. How can you lose?

The Crying Game (Special Edition): Such an amazing piece of work. One of the handful of 1993 films that were better than Schindler's List.

Saturday Night Fever: 30th Anniversary Edition

I'm doing a presentation and a paper on this film and its soundtrack for my History of Rock Music class, and this edition comes with a bunch of juicy bonus features.

The 25th Hour

I've heard too much good hype on this film to pass up finally seeing it. The Rotten Tomatoers absolutely adore it.

Mulholland Dr.

I'm giving this one another shot. Wish me luck.

Thought the big cinema fans might want to know, there's a really great DVD website currently having a 20% of EVERYTHING sale, NO SHIPPING. I've ordered from these guys for over a year, and they do this about 3 times annually. I just ordered the Hitchcock Signature collection (not to be confused with Universal's color films set) for like $55, and a few other goodies.

It's best for boxed sets because you're getting a huge discount, and the same goes for Criterion stuff, which has pretty high list prices.

The site is called Deep Discount, you can google it for the address as I don't want to be posting what's essentially an advertising/commercial link.

I'm pretty sure this sale is on for another week to 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom