Name a Good Movie You've Hated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anthony

Refugee
Alright;

You've read the reviews and you've checked out the ridiculous number of awards this movie has been showered in. You've seen the 'cinematic elite', from the most-acclaimed cineastes to the most prolific film critics, praise this film unabashedly, almost shamefully - and yet, you yourself can't stand this film.

Maybe you can even recognise the praise-worthy elements others see in it, maybe on some level you can even admit to yourself that it 'is' or 'could' be seen as what most would call a 'good movie', but it still doesn't take away the bitter taste in your mouth after seeing it, it still doesn't recover those lost 120-odd minutes from your life which you will never be able to recover. It still doesn't stop you from wanting to leap into the picture and kill all of the protagonists, the writers, the produces and, worst of all, the director responsible for this assault on your senses.

The fact that everyone else loves it, the Academy heaps awards on it religiously, and you're apparently in the minority, only rubs salt to the wound.

Ant.

My two worst offenders are 'A Beautiful Mind', a movie I simply refuse to say is good on any level, and the flatulent, overrated mess that 'A Clockwork Orange' is.

Ant.

Mystic River. When this movie came out, everyone fell all over themselves heaping praise on it and on Clint. I HATE this movie. I came away from the theater feeling cold and in desperate need of a shower. I hate everything about it, including (and perhaps especially) Clint's behavior during the 2003 awards season.

Last edited:
Mystic River.

(Spoilers for Mystic River present)

Good choice. I HATE this movie, also. I find it preachy, insensitive, melodramatic and ultimately hysterical - though Sean Penn is good (I think he's good in pretty much anything), Tim Robbins' performance was, frankly, ludicrous and whiny, and I was glad to see Sean Penn's character shoot him in the face. The film suffers from a sickness many films these days seem to suffer from; terrible 'overcasting'. You've got relatively famous actors being put in tiny, inconsequential roles, such as Laurence Fishburne as 'Whitey'.

I hate everything about it, including (and perhaps especially) Clint's behavior during the 2003 awards season.

This, I don't know about. What was up with Clint? What did he do?

Ant.

Last edited:
Traffic. Plotline jumped around too much, and about half the movie was subtitled. I suppose it didn't help that I was half asleep through whole movie :slant:

I didn't consider Mystic River to be anything special, and I was unaware of the acclaim surrounding it when I watched it. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't rate it either. My reasons for watching it weren't motivated by the storyline anyway.

It's not really a critical success as such, but I think 'Napoleon Dynamite' and 'Donnie Darko' are absolutely awful films. Can't stand either of them.
I also think the movie 'Thirteen', which did recieve alot more recognition that the latter, is frustrating and ridiculously melodramatic in places.

Last edited:
I have to agree I hate A Beautiful Mind.

But I absolutely despised the first two "Lord Of The Rings"; too long and boring. The third one was "alright" but for me, nothing like the masterpiece everyone painted it to be. :grumpy:

Had to add to the wtf with A Beautiful Mind.

I thought Russell Crowe actually did a lovely job, because I could stand his performance and see how it was fine despite the drubbing my head took from the direction, the cinematography, the scoring, and just about everyone else's performance. It was just a huge shock to me that it got all those awards. I sat there predicting with a wince the next camera angle, lighting effect, and swell of music. blech.

cheers all!

A Beautiful Mind, for sure. Blew me away when I heard it won Academy Awards, wow. "Hmmm, let's see...how do I show Russel Crowe is a genius...I know!!....I'll spin the camera around him for a few minutes, that will get my point across". Ugh.

Chicago, too, perfer to see musicals on stage, not on screen.

Surprised to see A Cloclwork Orange mentioned, but, that's why I like threads like this, to see people name stuff I disagree with. Film's so subjective, it's impossible to really argue, or so I think...someone does not like the same film you loved...so be it.

Let's see....will add

Titanic
JFK

There are tons of movies that made a lot of box office $$ that I hated, like Pearl Harbor, but this thread is more for well reviewed films, or films that did well at awards time, so I'll keep it at that level.

Glad I mentioned Pearl Harbor, though, what a fucking piece of shit. :)

The English Patient--I only saw it once and that was enough. I didn't think it was romantic--I thought the locales were gorgeous though.

Saving Private Ryan--the D-Day sequence was numbing, but I thought the rest of the movie was cliched and poorly told.

I know there's lots more...I'll have to think about it. :D

Million Dollar Baby - for my money, the Academy's worst pick for Best Picture in years. I thought that Hilary Swank's performance was very touching, but the film itself was a self-important mediocrity. The first half packs in every single sports-movie cliche in the known universe; the second is overwrought, forced melodrama with some of the most cartoonishly evil supporting characters ever.

Mystic River was also overrated as hell despite the strong ensemble work.

Silence of the Lambs - IMO nothing more than a pedestrian thriller lifted by two exceptional performances.

The English Patient - mostly because the appeal of Ralph Fiennes as a lead eludes me completely.

Clockwork Orange, definitely. Malcom McDowell is its only saving grace and even he's completely unconvincing as a 15-year-old.

Sure Bambi had its cute/sad/sappy moments, but I don't see how the folks at Disney could market the movie as "children's entertainment." It's really just an overly cute art house film. "Man" is the villain of the story? What were they thinking? "The Lion King", on the other hand, now that's entertaining!

:)wave: starsgoblue)

I would like to add Closer to the list. It's not a bad movie just very overrated. Julia Roberts and Jude Law annoyed me so much during the whole film. I did enjoy Clive Owen and Natalie Portman's performance.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Harry Potter series

Those are two stories that should have never been touched. :grumpy: Despite the wonderful special effects, Peter Jackson simply could not capture the majesty that is J.R.R. Tolkien's work. Not that I blame him. I don't think anyone could pack in all the history, description, and characters of Middle Earth into three hours. Plus, now whenever I read the trilogy, I picture Elijah Wood's annoying face in my head. The only truly good thing about the movies was Ian McKellen. And as for Harry Potter...IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN TOUCHED! I've been a fan of the series since 1999, and the movies were a huge disappointment. The acting is terrible (with the exception of a few, eg. Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, etc) and many of the key events are either left out or changed. And the directors simply could not incorporate J.K. Rowling's amusing and witty take on things. I don't even think I'm going to watch the fourth movie when it comes out.

If they ever decide to make movies out of Terry Pratchett's Discworld collection... :mad:

GibsonGirl said:
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Harry Potter series

If they ever decide to make movies out of Terry Pratchett's Discworld collection... :mad:

Terry said a few times in the interviews that he does not wish Discworld books to become movies, so I'd say they're safe, :) I have read a rumour on aint-it-cool-news.com once though that he and Terry Gilliam might want to adapt his collaboration with Neil Gaiman, "Good Omens".

I gotta say that personally I vastly prefer LoTR movies to the books <grins, ducks, runs>.

One movie I forgot to mention is "Fargo" by the Coen brothers. I loved Frances McDormand and her character but I just couldn't see why on earth that movie got so much acclaim. I just sat there thinking, so when the interesting stuff going to happen?

Good Will Hunting. Everyone is going to disagree with me on this one, as no one offline has ever agreed with me before. I found it terribly average.

Fargo is a curious one. I rented it simply because of the acclaim, but again found myself spending most of it wondering if it was some kind of joke. Was it supposed to mock the people of Fargo? I'm not familiar with how accurate the people and settings were, not knowing the town or really the murders even, but yeah, I agree with you Saracene.

Back
Top Bottom