my last broadcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So here we are.

I know that there seems to be a plethora of "sula" threads about these days, and as soon as I leave tomorrow morning Salome has my permission to merge them all. ;) But I just wanted to have my chance to make a personal farewell to you all.

I can't remember exactly when I stumbled across interference. It was a long time ago...back before ATYCLB came out. Since then I have had the good fortune to meet and befriend so many of you both online and in real life. I've been lucky enough to have a strong community of local U2 fans like Lemon Meringue, Lilly, zonelistener, Ali Rose, Walkron, and kyra1. To have a virtual brother like spanisheyes who would go out of his way to buy me a U2 ticket and camp out in a GA line in Vegas. To have awesome Europeans like the entire Dutch contingent, whenhiphop, U2girl and Marko to invite me into their cultures and into their homes. And to meet a man like DrTeeth who would restore my faith in the male gender. :sexywink: :heart:

To each and every person who interacts with me here in this little blue community, I thank you. To Elvis for creating this place and for letting me be a part of it, I thank you. To the entire mod team for their support and friendship, many thanks.

I'm leaving on what is probably the single biggest challenge of my life. And I don't kid when I say that having you all behind me supporting me really does make a difference. If any of you ever feels like dropping something in the mail, a card or just a note, I can't tell you how much it would mean to me. As promised (yes, foray, I wasn't going to forget;)) my mailing address for at least the next three months is as follows:
Bethany Galipeau, PCT
Peace Corps
B.P. 85
Bamako, Mali

Just to give you an idea of where I'm going to be, here are a few photos from another Peace Corps volunteer in Mali. :) You can see more at his website

tssign.JPG

zbhuts.JPG

tslanghuts.JPG

samayastreet.JPG

So yes, it's late and I leave in about six hours, so I best head to bed. Again, I will miss you all and I'll try to send in updates as often as possible. Hello Angel will be in charge of doing something with them. Hopefully, I'll be able to give you all a small peak into what's going on in my corner of Africa.

Until we meet again,

Bethany

Interference's loss is Africa's gain.

Goodnight.

Don't let the insanely large bugs bite.

:wave:

:sad: oh bethany!!!

i'm so proud of you!

i know this is a mental, spiritual, emotional, physical challenge for you, but if there's anyone who can handle it, it's you bethany. :)

i really admire your strength for this, to follow your dreams and hopes and grab the world by its collar and look its problems straight in the eye. you talk the talk but you not only walk the walk but you lead it too.

when i first met you at the brunch that was pre-grammys 2001, i respected you for being political, intelligent, religious, but not being pretentious or snotty about it. you let me have my opinions and i let you have yours (for how often we agreed ;)). your travels and stories about how you grew up in the jungle were always a good illustrator of your points too.

you've got a good handle on things, and i know that going to africa will change you again and again and there's much more in it that you are able to anticipate. but stay strong. know that we are here for you and you are in our thoughts and prayers. if you feel your strength waning, think about us just a bit - look into the sky and know that that's the same sky that covers all of us here on this little blue community - the world ain't that big afterall, is it ;)

enjoy my artwork, and thanks for making me eat kurdish food.

bless you on your journey, best of luck and fortune.

stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loveth-
lillian

Sula, Sula, Sula. :(

You will be sorely missed, and have the best wishes and prayers of all here behind you.

Take care of you. Keep safe. Stay strong.

:hug:

I just happened to log on...glad I did

Bye sula...I got out my Time atlas of Africa last night and hub asked"you looking up about Mali?"...a lot of ppl know about and appreciate and admire the work you are about to undertake.
I don't feel sad now...I feel proud to know of you, and I feel you will be safe and rewarded.
:hug:...oh actually, a little tear escapes:sad: :hug: :hug:
:wave: :wave: :wave:family trait...we keep waving till you are a dot on the horizon :wave: :wave:

I think this is about the 4th time I'm saying goodbye to you
and so far it has only gotten harder every single time

I know you'll be safe
you have an army of prayers protecting you

have an incredible time

:sad: Sula,

It's hard to say goodbye right now, but I can't help but feel jealous - Africa has gained another angel - but ours this time, and while I will miss you, I know our paths will cross again.

Take care. :hug:

Sula,

I know you have already left but I was thinking about you last week and wish I had a chance to send an email. Nevertheless, my prayers will be with you. What you are doing is inspirational and exemplifies love, and the good in people. You are being the difference you want to see in the world. :yes:

All the best! :heart: :hug:

I can't wait to send you a postcard. :)

Your thoughtful presence in FYM and everywhere else will be missed. God bless you on this adventure.

Eek...yes. The day is here. Take care, and I'll make sure to write soon! :) Good luck! :sexywink:

Melon

hey!

anyone who's thinking of sending a little package to bethany, here are a few things i know she'll be jonesing for over in africa:

books: history related or classics (sound and the fury, crime and punishment etc etc) - anything that involves good thought

chocolate: she loves it. mainly milk chocolate, but i doubt she'd be too picky ;)

little toys: entertaining things like bubbles and whatever, something entertaining for nights.

need things: wet wipes, AA batteries, lotion, etc. she's in africa, so she clearly doesn't have a wal*mart up the street for conveniences.

really, she'd appreciate ANYTHING, i'm sure, even if it's just a little postcard saying you thought of her - it'd really mean a lot.

so please do write her :up:

:wave:

woo! dropping in to say a big hello from Segou, Mali! I am absolutely loving it over here. Very challenging. A bit hot (but we are in the rainy season so it's not bad), lots of mud, lots of poverty. But the people here in Mali are so friendly and I know I am in the right place.

I probably won't be near a computer for another two months at least. Right now we are out on visits to Peace Corps volunteers to see what "real life" is like before we go back to training camp, language study and homestay. I had a great visit. Got my hand henna'd, my hair in African cornrows and braids and today we went to the open market and I bought cloth to have some dresses made.

More later, but just wanted to say hi to all and that if you feel led to send me a letter or anything else I would certainly appreciate it.

:love:

Bethany
or Doussu Sisseko as I was named yesterday by a family. :D

Late coming to the thread...but have a wonderful time in Mali. I'm sure it'll be a challenging and rewarding experience, and I envy you your determination and commitment to follow your goals through to the end.

We'll miss you back here, but there's no doubt in my mind that you'll be a great benefit to the Peace Corps. Good luck!

Hey Bethany, good luck and stay safe over there. :hug:
And once again, thank YOU for coming to my town - it was great meeting you. :)

Bye :( I know you're doing a wonderful thing, but we'll miss you. I hope to see you post again someday and I hope you get to see Viggo in Return of the King somehow. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom