my "candy" songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Ok, please bear with me, this is a bit strange, but . . .

When I was a little boy my grandparents used to buy this ice cream which was like sweet cream with little bits of candy-coated prailines in it. And every time you got a little bit of prailine, it was just the best.

Then, when I discovered Bruce Springsteen and all his music and I heard "Candy's Room", the piano/xylophone part reminded me of that "candy" ice cream.

So, since then, I have what I term "candy" songs. Songs that are just pure confectionary bliss. Usually they have keyboards that sound like the xylophone or piano in the higher keys. And usually they have a upbeat, fun drumbeat. Sometimes it's just a cool riff or sound effect that reminds me of something candy-like. My "candy songs" are usually just pop jems, just perfect, fun pop songs, with that certain, particular sound to them. So my "candy" songs are:

Bruce - "Candy's Room"
Smashing Pumpkins - "1979" (though technically there are no keyboards or xylophone, the drumbeat is perfect and that sound effect Billy uses makes it a candy song for me)
No Doubt - "Simple Kind Of Life" (again, no xylophone or keyboards, but that cool drum-sound effect makes it pure confectioners gold.)
Radiohead - "No Surprises" (the keyboards are PERFECT, though it is a bit of a downer for a "candy" song)
Beastie Boys - "Girls" (perfect use of keyboard, xylophone)
The Cure - "Close To Me"
Sound Team - "Your Eyes Are Liars" (has both the upbeat drum part and the keyboard/xylophone part)
blink-182 - "I Miss You" (perfect drum part and has the keyboards)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Dudley"
U2 - "With Or Without You" (has that perfect "bell" sound at the very beginning)
New Order - "Shellshock" (perhaps the best keyboards that exemplify the sound what I mean by candy songs)
O.M.D. - "So In Love"
Madonna - "Dress You Up"
Tori Amos - "Raspberry Swirl" (drumbeat is a bit too fast, but it's got the keyboard sound)
The Police - "Tea In The Sahara" ( I know this song is way too slow, but it's got that shimmering, rippling sweet guitar in the chorus)

Ok, so now that you all think I'm crazy and should be locked away in a straightjacket, I was wondering if you can think of any other songs that fit my definition of a "candy song".

"Steal My Sunshine," by LEN, is also one of the greatest songs ever written in this vein. Fucking amazing, man.

Jesus Fuck, I'm on a roll, here....

Why not include the following?

"Chips Ahoy!" by The Hold Steady
"It'5!" by Architecture in Helsinki
"Wishbone" by Archtecture in Helsinki
"Do the Whirlwind" by Architecture in Helsinki
...and, finally...
"The Cemetary" by Architecture in Helsinki

Twee-stravaganza, yo! For real, though...In Case We Die... is a stellar-as-fuck record. And as the faithful know, The Hold Steady be the best band in the land. Giddyup.

Most Sarah stuff (Talulah Gosh or other oddly named bands that I can't remember the names of offhand) and their assorted offspring, although I can only take that kinda thing in small doses.

The Field Mice, though. 'Kiss and Make Up' is a great song.

Well, I've never even heard of most of the recommended songs, or artists for that matter, but I'm just relieved that you all (with the exception of dietcokeofevil) don't think I'm crazy/insane . . . or at least you're polite enough to keep those thoughts to yourself.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom