Muse and The Cloud Room (opening SF show, and my new friend)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropa1310 said:
I loved that part, where he walks away from the mic for the "I wont let you murder it, I wont let you smother it" (I chose those lyrics, because I can't spell "barry it," and I would look like an idiot trying to :wink:)

EDIT: And I agree... he doesn't seem to smile much. He seems like a very angry person. Did you happen to get any pictures with the band? And what time did they come out for autogaphs and such? They came out at about 2am for us... so only 7 people were left lol

The word you're looking for is bury ;)

Haha, I wouldn't say angry, but he's definitely very serious on stage.

The crowd started out small and eventually grew to ~20 people, I think. They came out about an hour and a half after the show. I only managed to get a few shots of the band and they weren't the best. I kept forgetting I had a camera with me :der:. They're on the last page on my photo album. None with me and the band though. Originally my sister was to request to take some of me and the guys, but she got bored of waiting and left 10 minutes before they came out. Psshh. The guys didn't stay for too long, so not everyone in the crowd got to meet them or get autographs. They stayed around for about 15 minutes or so.

Queen Bee said:

The word you're looking for is bury ;)

Haha, I wouldn't say angry, but he's definitely very serious on stage.

The crowd started out small and eventually grew to ~20 people, I think. They came out about an hour and a half after the show. I only managed to get a few shots of the band and they weren't the best. I kept forgetting I had a camera with me :der:. They're on the last page on my photo album. None with me and the band though. Originally my sister was to request to take some of me and the guys, but she got bored of waiting and left 10 minutes before they came out. Psshh. The guys didn't stay for too long, so not everyone in the crowd got to meet them or get autographs. They stayed around for about 15 minutes or so.

It sounds like you had a fantastic time! I'm so happy for you! :hug: :hug: :hug: That picture you took, by the way... :faint: If only your sister could have stayed to take photos of you and the band! This is why you need to go to concerts with me.

GibsonGirl said:
It sounds like you had a fantastic time! I'm so happy for you! :hug: :hug: :hug: That picture you took, by the way... :faint: If only your sister could have stayed to take photos of you and the band! This is why you need to go to concerts with me.

Let's go to the Toronto show on the 30th together!! Let's just pretend that flying you out from Newfs and me from smelly ol' Tucson won't cost like 3 million dollars and 99 cents.

I want to see them again :sad:

Queen Bee said:

Let's go to the Toronto show on the 30th together!! Let's just pretend that flying you out from Newfs and me from smelly ol' Tucson won't cost like 3 million dollars and 99 cents.

I want to see them again :sad:

:drool:

Oh man. I wish that Toronto show was on the 30th of September instead of the 30th of July. Because then I just might have been able to see it. :sigh:

Me too, minus "again." :sad:

I think one of us needs to win the lottery.

Nice review.......always more interesting when it's from the city I live in. :wink:

Not to big on Muse, but Cloud Room has potential. Great single from their album, but the rest was rush released to capitalize on it and wasn't well thought out. I say look out for them in the future.

Thanks for posting your pictures, QB. It looks like mofo and I were exactly 180 degrees around the stage from you. I looked for us in your pics, "all to no avail..." :wink:

"Stockholm Syndrome" was definitely the highlight for me, just because it rocked so much. I loved it when Matt let the fans sing in "Time Is Running Out" too. I didn't know the new songs very well (mofo gave me the album the day before!), but I still enjoyed the show a lot. :up:

Also, I've known about The Cloud Room for a while now, after I got obsessed with their single "Hey Now Now." I thought they sounded good, but I think they could have done a little more to convert people to their cause. For most of their set (esp. because we were looking at them from the back), I was unsure if they were The Cloud Room or some pretty good local opener. I didn't hear the guy introduce their band or say much to the audience at all the whole time. :| They were good, but I think their set would have been better if it hadn't seemed as though they were just blazing through it so they could go back to their bus and go to bed.

I forgot to add..."Butterflies and Hurricanes" kicked serious ass as well. What a fine piece of live musical goodness that was. :drool:

Last edited:
Queen Bee said:
Okay, here's the correct setlist:

1. Take a Bow
2. Hysteria
3. Map of the Problematique
4. New Born
5. Assassin
6. Butterflies & Hurricanes
7. Supermassive Black Hole
8. Sunburn
9. Soldier's Poem
10. Starlight
11. Plug in Baby
12. City of Delusion
13. Stockholm Syndrome
Encore:
14. Time is Running Out
15. Knights of Cydonia
16. Space Dementia (guitar instrumental outro)

And some of my semi-craptastic photos are here!

Aw! they're not playing Hoodoo or Invincible:sad: And Sing For Absolution is out too...

But I bet it was great anyway... I'm really looking forward to see how Supermassive Black Hole and Knights Of Cydonia sound live:hyper:

Well I was lucky enough to grab a GA ticket for the Muse show a couple of weeks back at the Jacques Cartier pier of the Old Port here in Montreal. Here's my evening.

I showed up at the pier at around 5 in the afternoon, ticket in hand, as the drums and bass were being soundchecked for Starlight. In typical Montreal concert-goer fashion, there was already a line of about 150 people waiting to be admitted to the GA area. I love concert fans in this city :drool:

Things were looking overcast as we made our way into the GA area at 7, after 2 hours of sitting around on the gravel. Although cautioned not to run, I skipped/trotted up to the front to my spot about 5 rows back from centre stage. It was a great location.

The crowd was a bit demographically hilarious. It was a mix between the odd 20/30 something, stuck up junior college kids, and 15 year-old emo children with big glasses and Death Cab for Cutie t-shirts. Ah well, I elbowed them all anyway.

The Cloud Room finally came on for the first show around 8:00 and did a fairly good job. Very fun, humble musically. About half way through the set the lead singer leaned over to the mic smiling and said, "Oh, do you guys know who we are?"

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

"We're The Cloud Room, thanks for coming out."

"Woooooooooooooohooooooooo."

I can't say I remember any of their songs or intend to buy any merch, but Cloud Room did a good job opening and I have a general warm fuzzy recollection of their act. They played one tempo and kind of song for about ten numbers and they did it well.

Around 9:00 you could start to feel the anticipation. The sun was just about down behind a sky where the blue areas had just ominously disappeared. Suddenly at around 9:15, the entire sky opened the hell up, and with cheers and whoops from everyone in attendance we got completely and utterly soaked. It was raining like a motherfucker. The stagehands were rushing out plastic tarps, you could see sheets of rain coming off the stage scaffolding - it was a mess.

The crowd was wonderful though as we all broke into chants of 'Ole, ole ole oleee', 'We want Muse!', and the out of place but welcome 'Go Habs Go! Go Habs Go!!!'

Everyone was restless when Muse took the stage at 9:50ish, saivors of our rain-drenched evening, breaking right into Knights of Cydonia. I've seen this song at the end of the setlist before, but honestly I couldn't think of a better Muse song to open a concert. The drums were galloping along and we thousand-odd, soaking wet, sweaty folk were bouncing in unison like one of those crazy european festival crowds. Without missing a beat Muse went through Hysteria and broke into an extended, uber-sexy extended intro that dove down into the opening riff of Supermassive Black Hole after Map of the Problematique's disco-fuck.

There was a crowdsurfer or two floating around as Muse kept thundering along like some sort of robotic rock outfit from 2035, sent back in time to destroy humanity. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. I'm all for crazy light shows and loud noises, but I will go out on a limb to say that I felt like I could have been watching a mimed Britney Spears concert by the time they got to song ten; despite the musical talent of these three individuals.

Maybe it's the heavy, heavy, heavy reliance on backing tracks, which uncannily reminded me of seeing Keane live, but there was very little band interaction with the audience (unlike the pudgy earnest band from Battle). At the encore break I felt exhausted, but not really 'rock show exhausted'. More like 'man I just spent 90 minutes dancing at this industrial nightclub with glowsticks and I really need some water' exhausted. Despite the amazing musicianship I felt like things were on auto-pilot and this may as well be Top of the Pops.

Still, they put on one hell of a live show and if you get the chance to see them, go see them. It was a fantastic experience to see the band where they play best, in an outdoor venue with a large crowd.

Code:

Cartier Pier, Montréal, QC, Canada

1. Knights of Cydonia
2. Hysteria
3. Map of the Problematique
4. Supermassive Black Holes
5. Butterflies & Hurricanes
6. Forced In
7. Bliss
8. Sunburn
9. City of Delusion
10. Starlight
11. Invincible
12. Plug In Baby
13. Stockholm Syndrome

14. Take a Bow
15. Time is Running Out
16. New Born

Last edited:
It's been so awesome reading all of your reviews of the shows, thanks! I only recently got into Muse (maybe a month ago) but somehow there's something about them that really exites me . . . too bad that they played a show relatively close to where I live no less than a weeks before I knew they existed.

And I think I might end up liking them more than I like U2. :reject:

Canadiens1160 said:
Montreal concert details

Finally! I've been looking forward to hearing about your show. Great review, Mike :up:

I'll be seeing them again next month. They're playing an outdoor festival in town. I'm reallyreally looking forward to it. I've wanted to see them in an outdoor setting for aaages :drool:

It's kind of funny, I would never have expected SO many Muse fans in this forum. They are a big band, but not nearly as big as they should be. I wonder if they will ever get up there like U2, Pearl Jam, etc etc... They've been around since what... 97?

They apparently just added a date in Utah in late September! One of my friends luckily just got into them also, so I just may be seeing them again. :up:

Tis a shame Muse doesn't play 'Falling Away With You' that much anymore. My favorite Muse song.:(

U2Fan101 said:
Tis a shame Muse doesn't play 'Falling Away With You' that much anymore. My favorite Muse song.:(

I'm a new fan, but thats one of my favourites as well!

Look Forward to seeing them when they come to Australia, at the moment its just the Big Day Out Festivals....but i'm hoping maybe some side shows :drool:

It's saying on iTunes that the b-side is just a remix of SMBH :shrug:

I have the b-side from the SMBH single though if you want, it's called Crying Shame - it's alright...

Back
Top Bottom