Mumbai, India Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now for a short history of the IPA: The IPA means Indian Pale Ale

Ah, so it's from Doha?

Right up until the very last sentence of that review, I had absolutely no fucking idea quite how that was all going to end.

Ah, so it's from Doha?

Right up until the very last sentence of that review, I had absolutely no fucking idea quite how that was all going to end.

Yes! Well, this one's brewed in Edinburgh, but you know? They got 5 star hotels there, too! And English tourists!

Thanks? I was going for that.

Yes! Well, this one's brewed in Edinburgh, but you know? They got 5 star hotels there, too! And English tourists!

Thanks? I was going for that.

There might be an American or two too. And Bono might get confused with them. I thawt we hayud enawf teeyers in this sawng.

Your reviews are experiences. I like it.

Have a good one, U-Wen. :wave:

Now that the thread's gone quiet, I'll get around to replying to this from the last thread.

Oh, absolutely - probably no matter what they'd choose, in a way, it'd just be like having, say, Flamenco to represent all of Europe. I think 'war dances' probably has a different meaning over a lot of different tribes (not really the right word to describe individual Aboriginal peoples, they are/were mainly divided by languages, but I'll use it for now). I am sure that some tribes would have done a war dance back at camp before battle, some could have done it immediately before battle in front of the enemy, and some probably during the battle as a means of defence and evasion against ranged weapons, which likely solved more battles than melee weapons. That's somewhat besides the point, though. Certainly, on the whole Aboriginal cultures weren't as warlike as the Polynesians, they were typically structured more on social and peaceful terms.

If AFL becomes international, I can see the appeal in adapting something that this, but of course that's going to be in the far distance future, if ever. In the meantime, as we've established the Maori are a bigger part of popular Kiwi identity than Aboriginals are for Australia, as depressing as it is to say. I don't know much about the tradition of challenges like the haka in Union matches, so I can't go any further - but for the sake of how the Aboriginal state is currently, adding any Australian war dance to the national team would be a misconceived and patronising idea.

Ahh, right. I think that if the idea were pursued, it would be best to write something specifically for the team. The All Blacks have two Hakas; one is pretty close to the haka of Te Rauparaha, one of the dominant chiefs of the early 19th century (who was based in my hometown, incidentally), and one that they wrote themselves in consultation with Maori elders. But the thing is that the haka is an identifiable part of our rugby culture, so writing our own haka made sense. I'm not so sure co-opting various Aboriginal symbols and dances would make sense for the Wallabies. Especially not if the tradition of war dances is so utterly varied. And I suppose even if they did try to come up with their own, something not tied to specific indigenous nations, there is still the question of what language it would be in. This is the other thing about the All Blacks and the other Pacific Island teams with war dances: they feature players who actually speak the language as their native tongue! Even if you had two Aboriginal blokes on the Wallabies, and even if an Aboriginal language is their first language, what are the odds it would be the SAME language?

So yeah, it comes off as entirely misconceived and patronising to me. It feels like it would be just a bit of a pat on the back, "oh look at us white people integrating Aboriginal culture", rather than a genuine expression of Australia. Maybe we're being too cynical, and something like this would be a valuable way to increase the profile of indigenous culture here. I'd like to think it would be. But it seems to me that if you're making token gestures like this to your indigenous people, you have extremely deep unresolved issues that this sort of gesture won't help.

Oh hey Ali! :wave:

I called the venue! At like 4:45pm, haha. Guess what? The early entry thing works again! But the guy on the phone seemed to think that doors are at 7:15pm, not 8pm as stated on my ticket ...

Oh hey Ali! :wave:

I called the venue! At like 4:45pm, haha. Guess what? The early entry thing works again! But the guy on the phone seemed to think that doors are at 7:15pm, not 8pm as stated on my ticket ...

Woo!

Eep. Maybe he meant that was when you/we should show up?

Crap, I forgot I was going to go in early... *L* Oh well. Yay for not-enough-sleep again...

Woo!

Eep. Maybe he meant that was when you/we should show up?

Crap, I forgot I was going to go in early... *L* Oh well. Yay for not-enough-sleep again...

No, he said that doors were 7:15, so we should show up beforehand. Ah well, shouldn't be a problem either way as I presume we'll have eaten by then.

Still meeting at 5, right?

Hang on ... I know why it might be 7:15. As I understand it, the Crowdies have allowed a number of Frenz members, like ten or so, entry to the soundcheck. Might it be that the Frenz people are being admitted at 7:15, with general admission at 8? Though that would seem odd to me, as I'd presume the Crowdies would soundcheck earlier, than Anika Moa would check just before doors.

No, he said that doors were 7:15, so we should show up beforehand. Ah well, shouldn't be a problem either way as I presume we'll have eaten by then.

Still meeting at 5, right?

Hang on ... I know why it might be 7:15. As I understand it, the Crowdies have allowed a number of Frenz members, like ten or so, entry to the soundcheck. Might it be that the Frenz people are being admitted at 7:15, with general admission at 8? Though that would seem odd to me, as I'd presume the Crowdies would soundcheck earlier, than Anika Moa would check just before doors.

I have no idea... but hopefully we'll be done by then, and we'll find out.
Yep, still meeting at five... if I have to make up the time later, it'll hardly be anything new.

Hey, have you heard of Serart? Someone gave me a metric crapload of music on Friday and I'm slowly working my way through it... There was another interesting bunch who are either called Tomahawk, or the album is... not quite sure.

I have no idea... but hopefully we'll be done by then, and we'll find out.
Yep, still meeting at five... if I have to make up the time later, it'll hardly be anything new.

Hey, have you heard of Serart? Someone gave me a metric crapload of music on Friday and I'm slowly working my way through it... There was another interesting bunch who are either called Tomahawk, or the album is... not quite sure.

Righto, cool. Now let's just hope Daniel doesn't have too many hassles getting into the city!

Nope, haven't heard of either. What are they like?

Righto, cool. Now let's just hope Daniel doesn't have too many hassles getting into the city!

Nope, haven't heard of either. What are they like?

Indeed... What's he doing with his car, do you know? Is it at the airport or something?

Tomahawk's obviously rather native-American flavoured, I don't know anything about the band itself, but there's a bit of a metally/proggy kinda vibe there.
Serart is the guy from System of a Down plus some other guy/people... I don't know what to describe it as. Some of it has been very cool so far, and some of it made me do the "WTF?" face.

Serart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Huh, that doesn't tell you much.

YouTube - Thor the Thundercat

Dearest Bonnie, enjoy the sultry sounds of my step-dad, my mother, I, and the broken speakers of my digital camera. My voice is obviously the one closest to the speaker, and the one prattling on about time zones and other pointless shit

Indeed... What's he doing with his car, do you know? Is it at the airport or something?

Tomahawk's obviously rather native-American flavoured, I don't know anything about the band itself, but there's a bit of a metally/proggy kinda vibe there.
Serart is the guy from System of a Down plus some other guy/people... I don't know what to describe it as. Some of it has been very cool so far, and some of it made me do the "WTF?" face.

Serart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Huh, that doesn't tell you much.

Yeah, his car's at the airport ... I got the implication that he's driving to his girlfriend's place in Croydon and then catching the train in, but not 100% on that.

Ah, sounds interesting. The System Of A Down connection for Serart should be a red flag, but a collaboration with a folk musician? I'm curious to see how the hell this is pulled off, if nothing else.

Dearest Bonnie, enjoy the sultry sounds of my step-dad, my mother, I, and the broken speakers of my digital camera. My voice is obviously the one closest to the speaker, and the one prattling on about time zones and other pointless shit

Thor... :cute:

Did you make that video 2:12 long on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom