Muff, County Donegal, Ireland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the moment I'm considering waking at any time after 8am late, as I badly need to work and I do my best work in the morning.

You're the opposite of me but that's cool :lol:

Is it weird that for someone who downloads a lot of music I'm really finding myself getting annoyed at the opinions a lot of people who pirate music have?

That artists are selfish for expecting money for music at all and that bands should only be paid for live performances

Personally I have nothing against stealing from a big band like U2 but to make if you like a band who aren't making enough money to get by and you just download their music then you're hurting music overall. I just think this because if a band can afford to do music full time then they'll make better music or at least make more music which either way is better for music overall.

And I just only paying bands for live performances is a step back for music and hurts more experimental bands who try to be innovative. I'd rather a world were a solely studio band can make enough money to keep making music without having to go on tour and play what could be sub-par versions of their songs because of the limits playing live has

I WILL try poutine one of these days...promise.

Nik-L-Nip's, Anna:

2950713559_b6f4fc3f94.jpg

slightly bigger than Actual Size.

Oh, they look so good! Little bottles of happiness and sunshine! All waxy and inviting.
:love:

The power in the music industry is a shifting power. Ultimately, artists are capable of saying enough is enough and music needs to be absolutely affordable. Profits can still be made by everyone if music is simply reasonable to the consumer.

The power in the music industry is a shifting power. Ultimately, artists are capable of saying enough is enough and music needs to be absolutely affordable. Profits can still be made by everyone if music is simply reasonable to the consumer.

The fact that a number of people seem to think artists don't deserve money at all though isn't a positive no matter how you look at it. A consumer has to be reasonable to the artist too, it's a two way street

I saw them last night. :hyper:

Ah, I take it they're a good live band then?

And I just only paying bands for live performances is a step back for music and hurts more experimental bands who try to be innovative. I'd rather a world were a solely studio band can make enough money to keep making music without having to go on tour and play what could be sub-par versions of their songs because of the limits playing live has

Yeah, I have similar qualms re: only paying for live performances, given what some studio-only bands can accomplish. And let's face it, some great ambient work would be hideously boring to see live.

I sometimes question my downloading of obscure bands, but at the end of the day, I have no ethical issue since, if I didn't download it, I DEFINITELY wouldn't buy it, wouldn't see them live if they do gigs, wouldn't consider buying other merch, etc. If I do download it, the end result will be the artist getting money if it turns out to be something I'd be willing to buy. The odds of the artist getting money out of me increase enormously if I download.

Well, it was actually my first show ever, but I'll still give that a big YES.
I was on my feet for 7 hours, so my legs and feet are KILLING ME. But it was so worth it.

Standing for hours on end, I know the feeling. Glad to hear it was worth it

Yeah, I have similar qualms re: only paying for live performances, given what some studio-only bands can accomplish. And let's face it, some great ambient work would be hideously boring to see live.

I sometimes question my downloading of obscure bands, but at the end of the day, I have no ethical issue since, if I didn't download it, I DEFINITELY wouldn't buy it, wouldn't see them live if they do gigs, wouldn't consider buying other merch, etc. If I do download it, the end result will be the artist getting money if it turns out to be something I'd be willing to buy. The odds of the artist getting money out of me increase enormously if I download.

I guess to me it's not the ethics of downloading, it's more the idea of saying they don't deserve to be paid at all that annoys me. I'll admit I haven't given money to every artist that I'd like to in some small way support but I'd never go as far as to say that they are selfish for wanting payment. I mean making music solely for money is a bad thing but wanting to make a living off of music to me are two completely different things

I guess to me it's not the ethics of downloading, it's more the idea of saying they don't deserve to be paid at all that annoys me. I'll admit I haven't given money to every artist that I'd like to in some small way support but I'd never go as far as to say that they are selfish for wanting payment. I mean making music solely for money is a bad thing but wanting to make a living off of music to me are two completely different things

I agree with this.

I think in general the music industry is fucked and needs to rethink its distribution and profit model. We all know people will happily pay for convenience, and I think that's what the music industry needs to focus on: not selling music itself, but selling convenience. Remember Oink or Sordo? I'd happily pay a monthly fee for that sort of thing. It well and truly was more convenient than searching a myriad of torrent trackers and blogs trying to hunt down a decent link to something.

I agree with this.

I think in general the music industry is fucked and needs to rethink its distribution and profit model. We all know people will happily pay for convenience, and I think that's what the music industry needs to focus on: not selling music itself, but selling convenience. Remember Oink or Sordo? I'd happily pay a monthly fee for that sort of thing. It well and truly was more convenient than searching a myriad of torrent trackers and blogs trying to hunt down a decent link to something.

What.cd is a good place for that kind of stuff, only stuff over 192 KBPS is allowed up and they encourage flac. It's so much better than public sites

Serena, setlist?

Set one:
1. Occam's Razor
2. The Blind House
3. Great Expectations
4. Kneel and Disconnect
5. Drawing The Line
6. The Incident
7. Your Unpleasant Family
8. The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train
9. Time Flies
10. Degree Zero Of Liberty
11. The Seance
12. Octane Twisted
13. Circle of Manias
14. I Drive the Hearse

<10 Minute Intermission>

Set two:
1. The Start of Something Beautiful
2. Buying New Soul
3. The Pills I'm Taking (Second Section of Anesthetize)
4. Lazarus
5. Strip The Soul
6. .3
7. Bonnie The Cat

Encore:
1. Mother and Child Divided
2. Trains

What.cd is a good place for that kind of stuff, only stuff over 192 KBPS is allowed up and they encourage flac. It's so much better than public sites

Yeah, but that requires an invite.

Plus, I'm not so fond of torrenting any more. Whacking things on Media Fire and Send Space is so much more convenient.

Set two:
1. The Start of Something Beautiful
2. Buying New Soul
3. The Pills I'm Taking (Second Section of Anesthetize)
4. Lazarus
5. Strip The Soul
6. .3
7. Bonnie The Cat

This is fucking sweet.

Now they better come down here and bring Buying New Soul and .3 with them.

This is fucking sweet.

Now they better come down here and bring Buying New Soul and .3 with them.
Bonnie The Cat practically melted my face off. That was one incredible show.

I was in the front row, slightly off centered. Every time SW came to the edge of the stage, he was right in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom