MTV Launches Test of New Social Networking Site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
From the Los Angeles Business Journal:

MTV is launching a test version of its new, free social networking site MOG.com Tuesday with an aim to match people based on their music tastes.

The site requires users to download its MOG-O-MATIC application that will catalog the music on a users' computer hard drive while monitoring what they play most and what they download. That data is analyzed several ways and posted to users' MOG Web pages, and users are encouraged to create blogs on their pages about their musical favorites.

The company does not generate music recommendations from the data but provides 30-second sound links to all users' collections and has links to Apple Computer's iTunes Music Store and Amazon.com.

The site was started by former MTV marketing executive David Hyman with $1.4 million from private investors.

MTV is a unit of Viacom Inc.

I think the idea of being connected with people who like the same music as you do is cool but feel a little iffy about them mining data from your computer to make those connections. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

dsmith2904 said:
From the Los Angeles Business Journal:

I think the idea of being connected with people who like the same music as you do is cool but feel a little iffy about them mining data from your computer to make those connections. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Great!!!! Now record companies will NEVER have to sign acts that the majority don't listen too....

:|

Back
Top Bottom