MrBrau1's musical week in review 8/6/06.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
Inmyplace reminded me of this. So blame him for the return of this thread.

So let's get started...

I've spent the past month getting my hands on hard copies of Queen's 70's albums.

Queen
Queen II
Sheer Heart Attack
A Night At The Opera
A Day At The Races
News Of The World
Jazz

I now feel complete. MP3 copies of records just aren't the same as hard copies of records. It's also sent me on a Queen bindge, which is wonderful, cause Che loves to sing, and she loves Queen. Lot's of loud car rides with the windows open, singing harmony, and soaking in sun.

That sent me on a mission to get hard copies of Tom Petty's albums:

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
Damn The Torpedoes

I couldn't find "Into The Great Wide Open." That may have to be a internet buy. Music stores in NH are limited. These are moments when I miss NYC.

Oh, and have I mentioned how good his new album, "Highway Companion" is? The title suggests a road record. And that's what it is. We drove home last Friday, around Mt. Monadnock, 12:30am. Nothing but woods, open windows, and HC playing. It was hot, steamy, wind blowing in the windows. Find it for $9.99 and it will never leave your car.

I've also got my hands on the new Velvet Teen album- Cum Laude. Been looking forward to this one. It's kind of a jarring record. Distorted vocals, dissonant guitar/computer notes. Miles away from the piano based "Elysium", but I'm finding some nice songs in it. They're the great American underground secret.

My top 5 songs of the week:

1. Shanty Song- Jonathan Edwards
2. Hey! Is That A Ninja Up There?- Minus The Bear (thanks dudeman)
3. Rescue Me- Fontella Bass
4. All The Roadrunning- Mark Knopfler And Emmylou Harris
5. Country Girl- Primal Scream

+ one

6. The First Cut Is The Deepest- The Koobas

Dud of the Week:

Built To Spill: You In Reverse.

So much hype, for what wound up being typical "college" guitar rock. This may require more listens, but so far, it's asking not to be heard.

Surprise Of The Week:

Thin Lizzy: Whiskey In A Jar

What starts as "spaghetti western" turns into a beefed up guitar rock treatment of a song I've heard 1,000 times. Perhaps it's nostalgia driving my opinion. Then again, I don't care why I like it, I just like it. :drool:

Into the Great Wide Open *at least* is on their greatest hits cd, I dont' know the original cd it was on though

Thanks bono_212. That is also the title of the album the single comes from. Which appears to be hard to find.:mad:

So, (and this is for everyone, not just bono_212) since we're tired of the 2 day list thread mania, what was your week like?

The greatest hits disc is hard to find???I got it at Meijer for $10 :huh:

wait...is it the SINGLE that's hard to find? :reject:

Yeah, the list threads are getting a bit tiring even though there was some good discussion in some of them. Nice on the Queen hard copies. :up: I assume you got the ones that contain unreleased tracks/remixes and the like? I'd like to replace some of the old Queen albums passed on to me by the old man, just for the extras. I actually quite like some of Queen's remixes. They're much more subtle than, say, U2's.

My week was kind of drab on the musical front. I tracked down my favourite recording of Beethoven's 9th Symphony (Sir Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra) again. My old copy had been lost for quite some time. It was nice to hear it again. But other than that and rediscovering my love for the Alan Parsons Project album, I Robot (guilty pleasure), nothing.

GibsonGirl said:
I assume you got the ones that contain unreleased tracks/remixes and the like?

Actually, the versions I got were $10 each, Argentine imports of the remastered albums, w/o the remixes. Strange records, all the legal crap is in Spanish.

Strange, but for $10 each, I wasn't complaining.

MrBrau1 said:

Actually, the versions I got were $10 each, Argentine imports of the remastered albums, w/o the remixes. Strange records, all the legal crap is in Spanish.

Strange, but for $10 each, I wasn't complaining.

You're kidding me! Remastered Queen albums at ten bucks. A bargain with or without the remixes. My remastered copy of A Day At The Races set me back over $25 Canadian. Mind you, I did buy it from a big retail chain so that probably had something to do with it.

I desperately need to get a remastered copy of Queen II. The CD I've got is well over ten years old and the bass sounds simply dreadful. It's as though it has had the life sucked out of it. Which is a pity, because John came up with some great stuff on that album.

Wow, thanks Brau, that would be great! I'd love to hear the remasters for Queen II and News Of The World.

I love Highway Companion too. 2006 has been a good year for rootsy stuff (you mentioned All the Roadrunning, which is another good one).

I've actually really enjoyed Highway Companion myself. Seeing Petty next month, too, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Typhooooon where've you been all my life? Feels like forever since I've seen you around here.

Back
Top Bottom