mp3s from video files?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Anyone know of a good freeware program that will rip mp3s from video files (avi)? While in Tanzania, I recorded a bunch of native/traditional dances and vocal performances using the video fuction of my digital camera, which gets amazing audio for being a camera, but all I need are mp3s.

Everything I try from downloads.com has like a 30-second limit per track. I'd like to see if there's any freeware before buying something.

LivLuvandBootleg

So the quality of the material is good? What kind of native traditional dances were that, some of their very own, or was is rather a performance/ event for tourists?

There might be a possibility, depending on the material, that scientific audiovisual archives are very interested in your tapes. For over a century (starting 1899 in Vienna, soon followed by berlin, paris, St. Petersburg, Washington etc.) those archives have been collecting ethnomusicological documents.

You won´t get paid fot it, but did you ever think of giving them a call and ask if they´re interested in copying your material? Perspective being that those materials, cultures,.. are not lost for the future.

How much material is it.. sth like 10 minutes, or 20 full tapes, or in between? What format, is it recorded with a DV camera?

If you´re interested, I can provide more info and contacts.

hiphop, sorry I totally missed this!!

The sound quality is good in terms of you being able to hear quite clearly, and I was recording with a camera. (not "good" in audiophile terms I suppose)

I'd be more than happy to turn over everything for free.

I have one song performed for us at a Lutheran church in Lushoto, TZ. It has some drumming and traditional yells in it.

I have a few songs performed during a Lutheran church service in Kigarama, TZ.

Finally I have a few songs performed (singing, dancing, drumming, a horn, and some seeds that make noise worn on the dancer's ankles) by a troupe in Bukoba, TZ.

Except the first one listed which I have video of, the rest are all "video" I shot with the intent of only using the audio (had the camera on very crappy resolution and framerate with the lenscap on to use less space on my CF cards).

I know the dances from Bukoba are traditional b/c 1) my professor is from their tribe and was finally convinced to join the dance (which looked veeeeery tricky) and 2) I played the file for a boy in Kigarama, the village of m professor, and he seemed to also know the song. His English was rough, but he was trying to tell me one of the songs was about a chicken and you have to get your food before the chickens do (there were chicken noises as part of the song).

I would guess it's about 10 minutes total.

If this is of any value to anyone, I'm sure my professor could give more information, especially about the songs from his tribe.

Back
Top Bottom