Movies that freaked you out when you were a kid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
For me that movie would be The Exorcist. I forgot how old I was when I first saw it, but my father...well he let me watch it once. That part where the girl turns her head all the way around...fuck.

I'll probably think of another one later on down the line.

I watched a lot of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies when I was younger...and I used to have nightmares about Freddy. My parents banned me from all scary movies and books for awhile cuz I would wake up screaming and crying in the night.

Michael Myers...not Austin Powers? No, I was just kidding.

The Omen kinda freaked me out when I saw it when I was about thirteen. Never had the guts to watch the Exorcist.

OK, this probably isn't the kind of movie you were talking about but when I was little I was really freaked out by Pinnochio. Even today I can't watch it.

I think the first really scary movie that I can remember watching as a kid was JAWS. I remember my parents took me and my brother to see it, at a drive-in theater....yeah back when they actually had those :wink: My brother and I kept hiding behind the back seat :lol: :yikes:

Poltergeist and Ametyville Horror were pretty scary too :ohmy:

labyrinth. when i was 8 i thought david bowie was the scariest thing EVER.

ooh yeah, The Shining, I :heart: The Shining

I still get freaked out by that one :lol:

classic :up:

when i was much younger, i saw this b-movie horror flick called "asphyx" which means suffocation, and it was about a guy who was a photographer, and he kept accidentally getting people on film at the exact moment of their deaths, right? so, in the photos, he notices that he can see their souls leaving their bodies, and then he gets this idea that if he can take a picture of himself at the exact moment of his own death, he could capture his soul and live forever. well, he does it, but then he finds out that living forever sucks, and anyway...the night that i saw it, i dreamed that i saw my own soul, and that's the most terrified i have ever been in my whole life. i'm even terrified talking about it right now. i'm outta here.

For me it was Amadeus.
On holiday we went to Salzburg (Austria) once when I was 8 or so. Salzburg is the city where Mozart was born (and the location of the Sound Of Music, but that is an entirely different movie). Anyway, shortly after our holidays the movie Amadeus (about Mozart's life) played and we went there. In it is a scene where the other jealous composer (forgot his name), visits Mozarts in the same costume and mask his then deceased father once went to a party. As that composer turns around you see that he has a second mask at the back of his head.
This freaked me out big time :eek: I had nightmares for months...

C ya!

Marty (who cannot recall other movies that freaked him out)

that freaked the hell outta me too. i forgot about that...shit.

Poltergeiest, definitely. :reject: Both it and the sequel.

"Cat's Eye" I think it's called...it had a little Drew Barrymore and a little troll kept trying to suck out her breath. I kept thinking I saw it cutting through my own wall and climbing up on my bed!

The end of Raiders of the Lost Ark

Critters

I know there must be more...I was an easily frightened child.

The Dark Crystal always freaked me out. I know it's the muppets and it's supposed to be a kid's movie, but those giant crab things that would suddenly appear scared the hell out of me. Every time it would come on my dad would make me watch it and tell me I loved it...I don't understand that at all...

Poltergeist gave me recurring nightmares, and I would have to go to another room if Jaws came on because just the music freaked me out.

Laberynth with David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly. The movie didn't freak me out, I loved it; it was David's character that scared me!:ohmy:

But now i absolutely love him! :D

Schmeg said:
The Dark Crystal always freaked me out. I know it's the muppets and it's supposed to be a kid's movie, but those giant crab things that would suddenly appear scared the hell out of me.

:lol: no kidding. that was a freaky movie. those muppets were odd and kinda scared me too. hell even looking back on willy wonka i am not sure why i wasn't scared by that movie when i was a kid it disturbs me now as an adult . :der: lol

and every single poltergist movie scares the hell out of me today as it did when i was kid. that damn minister who was the devil. fuck that dude scared me to death! :scream: :crack:

Last edited:
It.
I swear, there's a generation of 20 year olds that hate clowns now because they saw that on TV as a young'un. I was scared of my bathroom for months.

It's also the only book that has given me nightmares :no:

Pet Semetary (yes that's how it's spelled) and Halloween 4 were the first horror movies I ever saw. I had to sleep facing my window for a year for fear that something/someone would come kill me.

Later, I saw Black Christmas - about this creepy murderer who kills these girls in their dorm (actually filmed at my university!)

And when I was 14, "It" scared the shit out of me. Remember the scene where the clown comes through the shower plughole? yeah. I had to plug my drain once, I was that scared.

Kristie said:
It.
I swear, there's a generation of 20 year olds that hate clowns now because they saw that on TV as a young'un. I was scared of my bathroom for months.

It's also the only book that has given me nightmares :no:

:yes: :reject:

I remember watching the whole damn movie though, even though I was terrified beyond belief and had nightmares of storm drains....

Back
Top Bottom