Movies made after famous books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone who has read The Lord of The Rings will know that had the movie been made so that it doggedly followed every chapter of the book, we would've ended up with approx. 20 hour long movie per sequel!! I love both the book and Peter Jackson's trilogy. He did a very good job considering, the enormity of the project, and hope that one day he'll do The Hobbit! :wink:

bonosgirl84 said:
white oleander was good. it's always been one of my favorite books and when i saw a preview that it had been made into a film i just cringed. but, to my surprise, michelle pfeiffer played ingrid with just enough obsessive creepiness to keep her both beautiful and fascinating.

I was at a friend's house for a BBQ a couple of years ago, and my friend introduced this woman to me. He said she was an author. Asked if I had heard of White Oleander... it was her. I believe her name is Janet Fitch (thanks google). Small world!

aaaaah, that's lovely, lila!

i would have talked her ear off all night.

then i would beg her to please write another book!

Personally I love reading the book before seeing a movie that is based on it. But there have been some instances where I have seen a movie and than discovered it was based on a book. Have discovered soooo many great stories this way! To me these two just go hand in hand. Oh and "Redrum Redrum" :evil:

Btw soooooooo many excellent books have been mentioned on here that I just love :drool: Im a book junkie :shifty:

bonosgirl84 said:

adrian lyne's version of lolita is another one. since this book has been my absolute favorite for many, many years, i tend to steer clear of any film versions. but this one, with jeremy iron as humbert and dominique swain as our little nymph, is pretty much perfection. the scene where she sees him in the window and runs upstairs in slow motion is one of the most heartbreaking scenes i have ever seen on film. when he lets go of her and clutches at his stomach. it's incredible.

I agree that that version of Lolita is excellent. There's that strange dynamic between the characters that makes the book work, and a less talented cast wouldn't have picked up on that nearly as well. Jeremy Irons makes Humbert both sympathetic and icky at the same time. I ought to add that to my Netflix queue, since it's been awhile since I've seen it.

hcbiggs2002 said:
Anyone who has read The Lord of The Rings will know that had the movie been made so that it doggedly followed every chapter of the book, we would've ended up with approx. 20 hour long movie per sequel!! I love both the book and Peter Jackson's trilogy. He did a very good job considering, the enormity of the project, and hope that one day he'll do The Hobbit! :wink:

LOTR is a great example. Book fans complained about too much Arwen in the movie. I loved the books and I think he did a very good adaptation.

As far as I know, Peter Jackson will be doing The Hobbit too, once he has the time. (personally I hope for Silmarillion)

Back
Top Bottom