Movie scenes that make you uncomfortable...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The scene from The Island where the Administrator is putting those little robot bugs in Ewan McGregor's eye.
Hurts mine just to look at.

I get a little twitchy watching that bit in Blade Runner when Harrison Ford's hand is broken

MrsSpringsteen said:
The rape scene in The Accused- any rape scene really but that one was just so completely disturbing, probably because it was based on a true story and the true circumstances were so shocking.

Graphic violence makes me extremely uncomfortable-and most graphic sex scenes, the way Hollywood does those tends to feel so awkward and unappealing.

:| yeah.. i really hate the rape scenes..

Any scene in any film where one can both see and hear a person brushing his or her teeth. I don't know what the fuck it is, but I've nearly passed out from discomfort during one or two of those, in my day. On-screen dental work doesn't bother me in the least; I just have a lot of trouble with something about the combination of sight and sound with brushing, for some reason. Oh, Jesus, that shit's bad to me...

Wait then, what about that one movie with the dental torture scene...how do you feel about that?

bono_212 said:
Wait then, what about that one movie with the dental torture scene...how do you feel about that?

There are dozens of films with such scenes, and I've seen only a few, over the years, so I can't speak unequivocally. What I can tell you, though, is that I don't have any problem with that sort of thing, as long as there's nobody using a toothbrush up in the mo'fucker. For example, The Little Shop of Horrors remake from the '80s never had me feeling uncomfortable, and while I didn't enjoy the tooth-removal scene in Cast Away, it didn't cause a level of discomfort like that of the whole brushing thing. Ugh.

In the movie "The Joy Luck Club", there is a scene where a mother has to drown her baby so that her cries would not give away the place they were hidding from some men looking for their group, thus saving the rest of the people with her.

Horrible.

Pretty much most of Lust, Caution. I rented it with one of my roommates because we thought there would be kung fu and people flying out of trees.

Boy, that's not what we got at all.

(About Wolf Creek)

Angela Harlem said:

:scream:
He was doing an interview on ABC radio or something and was describing how long it took to get into character, isolating himself from everyone for about 6 weeks before and perfecting that god-awful laugh. He said he was disturbed by how much he was able to cnhange, and how he kept it up during filming, and then the subsequent 'normalising' once they'd finished. I reckon it has to be one of the most psychologically disturbing movies ever made. I'm no expert, usually being the type to pee myself too easily to watch too many graphic movies.

If you're into any of the background story, Sins of the Bother is a good book on the Milat family, who are obviously a part of the creation of 'Mick Taylor'. I've not read much beyond the media reports of Joanne Lees, but in all it's enough for me to never cross the Nullabor without a QANTAS engine under me.

Ha no kidding, that movie and the true stories behind it should be enough to put a sizable dent in the tourism industry. I like how the killer is not so subtly presented in contrast to the guy in Croc Dundee (which had the opposite effect on tourism), right down to the name.

I've only seen and read bits & pieces of the Ivan Milat story, I'm usually not too much into true crime. I can only handle it in small doses especially when it's at the level dished out by this guy. I did happen to see a touching interview with one of his brothers on Australian Story though, maybe you saw it too? He made a point of not defending Ivan at all, and he was trying to come to terms with being associated with the name while trying to make a normal and dignified life of his own. It was very interesting. On second thought, maybe I should just go ahead and read that book that you mentioned.. :)

Angela Harlem said:

And friends have talked to often of Bad Boy Bubby for me to ever watch that one. One especially loves these kinds of movies, and even she cringes and can't descibe it properly.
:yikes:

Uh huh, it's bad all right. I can't recall barring any other movie midway through because it was tasteless.

If you shout... said:

For example, The Little Shop of Horrors remake from the '80s never had me feeling uncomfortable, and while I didn't enjoy the tooth-removal scene in Cast Away, it didn't cause a level of discomfort like that of the whole brushing thing. Ugh.

Argh, you reminded me of a scene from some movie or show where a little girl (I think?) has her tooth removed by the ol' string and door slam method. :huh:

Now what was that show? Hm it was probably Anne of Green Gables or something equally as embarrassing. Which I also wouldn't have watched.. :shifty:

RedrocksU2 said:
In the movie "The Joy Luck Club", there is a scene where a mother has to drown her baby so that her cries would not give away the place they were hidding from some men looking for their group, thus saving the rest of the people with her.

I finally got around to watching that movie after reading (and enjoying) the book years ago.

I watched it, and it was good, and I was wondering if I'd start crying. I'd heard how it was so, so sad and heartbreaking, and usually it doesn't even take that much to start me crying at movies like that. But nothing. It was sad and heartbreaking, no doubt, but I remained unmoved.

Then, the very final scene, I just exploded in tears and cried for, like, an hour. Sometimes it just sneaks up on you. :wink:

Don't know how many have seen this movie - but in Eye for An Eye with Sally Field, the begninning scene when her daughter gets raped and killed while she's on the phone with her. Just plain Horrible.

Anyone mention Requiem For A Dream? Ass-to-ass made me shudder and feel sick to my stomach.

She Is Raging said:
Don't know how many have seen this movie - but in Eye for An Eye with Sally Field, the begninning scene when her daughter gets raped and killed while she's on the phone with her. Just plain Horrible.

Shit yeah. That is really disturbing. You watch it thinking that has got to be about the worst thing for a mother and daughter, but then it stoops to a new low with how he kills her. :(

^ Yeah that was intense. I had a German Shepard as a kid and it brought back sad memories.

The...erm..."snip snip" scene in Hard Candy. I'm not even a guy...and that FREAKED me out.

Back
Top Bottom