Movie Reviews Part the 12th: Does Gimli hate file conversions as well? Stay tuned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
axe-14f.jpg

I just happen to think that's the dumbest thing in the entire trilogy. And more eye-rolling to me than anything in the prequels.

I don't disagree, actually. I just....literally....have never heard you say a good word about any of the films. I actually thought you hated them, seriously. Either way it's fine, you know me, not gonna lose sleep over someone else's opinion....just baffled, still, to have heard that you actually love these films.....

I don't disagree, actually. I just....literally....have never heard you say a good word about any of the films. I actually thought you hated them, seriously. Either way it's fine, you know me, not gonna lose sleep over someone else's opinion....just baffled, still, to have heard that you actually love these films.....

I was at the midnight shows of all three films, and saw each at least three times in theaters. I own the extended editions and love them to the point where I refuse to watch the theatrical cuts ever again. I've also listened to the cast commentaries as well as the director/writer commentaries on each of those sets.

So while my allegiance is to Star Wars overall, and I take issue with certain directorial choices, I have great admiration for what Peter Jackson pulled off here, and don't begrudge any of his Oscar wins (though I would have given him Best Direction for Fellowship, and his ROTK award to Anthony Minghella for Cold Mountain).

Good to know.

I was at the midnight showing for Fellowship, but, was so overwhelmed by the level of nerd-dom that I refrained for the next two. And when I can comfortably call someone a bigger nerd than myself, they're a huge fucking nerd.

My love for the books and films is unabashed. I too won't watch the theatrical cuts ever again. I'm going to be at a few little parties this weekend, but when I'm home, this weekend has Blu Ray Extended versions written all over it.

It's been ages since I read the books, but I'm thinking of re-reading everything, from the Silmarillion to the Hobbit to the Trilogy to Children of Hurin soon.....

Oh, and, if forced to choose allegiance to just one franchise, I suppose I'd choose Star Wars but I'm almost equally devoted to LoTR, with Star Trek a step behind. Maybe I'm a bigger dork than I thought. :)

I haven't been dropping no eaves.

Speaking of OTT geekery, me and my ex went to the Two Towers midnight show at the Vista, and some dork was dressed up as Shelob the Spider. I didn't have the heart to tell him that character's appearance had been postponed til the next film. We had a big laugh at his expense, though, imagining him all upset at the end of the film.

Andy Serkis was there to speak to the crowd before the screening, and my GF ran out of the theatre after him to snag an autograph.

It's been a while since I've watched them (probably haven't seen ROTK all the way through since the theaters) but I have the general impression that had the movies been made just 2 or 3 years later, the CGI would be on a more rock-solid level then it currently is.

Midnight in Paris

Went in not knowing much about the film and really enjoyed it. It's hard to talk about it without spoilers, but I don't really have a whole lot to say about it anyways and not in a bad way. I found it's goofy, lightheartedness to be quite charming. Definitely worth a look. I imagine it would make for a nice date movie.

It’s been years since a movie superhero was this fierce and this funny. You can feel the exhilaration!

Blow Out finally. Definitely in the top two or three of my De Palma ranking. Taught and aesthetically provocative. Guy's ace at set-pieces, I'll give him that.

The fake-out shlock horror film at the beginning, the blow out sequence, Travolta piecing the film and audio together, Lithgow taking out the prostitute at the train station, the slow-motion climax... all great.

Indeed. The bookend set-pieces are easily my favorites. The slo-mo spinning shot at the end of the latter with the superimposed fire-works is just so ludicrously expressive... perfect. I also found it hilarious how the opening sequence is supposed to be from some "terrible" b-grade horror movie that his character works on, when it's clearly De Palma just openly one-upping nearly everything else in its genre with a single long take.

Still not sure anything in the film tops the final 40 minutes of Carlito's Way for me, but it's surely a tighter experience overall.

That was a section of reference texts. I believe that I hump something related to Kansas.

Indeed. The bookend set-pieces are easily my favorites. The slo-mo spinning shot at the end of the latter with the superimposed fire-works is just so ludicrously expressive... perfect. I also found it hilarious how the opening sequence is supposed to be from some "terrible" b-grade horror movie that his character works on, when it's clearly De Palma just openly one-upping nearly everything else in its genre with a single long take.

Still not sure anything in the film tops the final 40 minutes of Carlito's Way for me, but it's surely a tighter experience overall.

Hah, absolutely. The Criterion disc has a supplement detailing the opening sequence and how it employed the steadicam.

I keep meaning to pick up Carlito's Way on Blu. Sometime, I guess.

The Trip

Loved it. Must admit that it ended sort of abruptly and the lack of music made for a slightly awkward walk out of the theatre, but the rest of the movie was a joy to watch. The chemistry between Coogan and Brydon is fantastic. I ruined some of the impression scenes by watching them before hand (before I realized they were from a movie), but only in that they weren't a surprise to me; I still found them to be hilarious. They cut out a few of the really good impressions for the movie, so I'm definitely going to seek out the TV series and watch it. I liked the mix of humour and seriousness. It was more poignant than I had anticipated. So ya, really happy I stumbled across it and even more happy that the only theatre playing it was a 10 minute walk from my house

You may have doubts about which side to choose, but there’s no doubt about this mind-bender. It is explosive!

The Trip

Loved it. Must admit that it ended sort of abruptly and the lack of music made for a slightly awkward walk out of the theatre, but the rest of the movie was a joy to watch. The chemistry between Coogan and Brydon is fantastic. I ruined some of the impression scenes by watching them before hand (before I realized they were from a movie), but only in that they weren't a surprise to me; I still found them to be hilarious. They cut out a few of the really good impressions for the movie, so I'm definitely going to seek out the TV series and watch it. I liked the mix of humour and seriousness. It was more poignant than I had anticipated. So ya, really happy I stumbled across it and even more happy that the only theatre playing it was a 10 minute walk from my house

You may have doubts about which side to choose, but there’s no doubt about this mind-bender. It is explosive!

It's sad and funny that I read the end of your reviews before I read the beginning.

Sort of like when you first meet a girl and you look at her boobs before you look at her face?

Days of Heaven, while not being my favorite Malick film, was still pretty awesome. I felt like the plot of this one wasn't quite so hammered out in the other films of his I've seen, but I really loved it a lot and hope to see it again, since the shitty Netflix disc kept skipping :fist:.

Define hammered out? If anything the plot is a lot more clear/important to what he's going for than anything he's done since.

I don't feel like the plot was quite nearly as clear at all in this one, though I'm not saying I didn't understand what was going on. Maybe I mean it wasn't quite so linear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom