Movie Reviews Part the 12th: Does Gimli hate file conversions as well? Stay tuned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It came out at the same time as Tree of Life and I was only able to see one of them.

Then I figured I would just wait until it hit the cheap theatre. Didn't expect it to be such a big hit. So it's still in the first run locations.

Seems dumb now to pay full price for a movie that's been out for 2 months.

:twocents:

It's playing at the Landmark on Pico.

you could see it there and then stay and watch Senna or the new Vera Farmiga film Higher Ground

Sorry, I don't pay $15 to see films or whatever the fuck they charge over there. I could see a matinee at the Playhouse in Pasadena for $8 but as I said, if I don't see something right when it comes out then I just prefer to wait.

A while back, I saw Gran Torino, and that was a fantastic movie! I really enjoyed that one a lot. The conclusion reminded me of the John Wayne movie The Shootist, although Clint Eastwood singing over the credits was a little odd. :huh:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

This was worth watching mostly for the amazing work by Andy Serkis/Weta, their Caesar was a truly expressive, soulful creature and the best CGI character I've seen onscreen since Gollum. By comparison the humans in the film were its weakest element; James Franco was ok but he's about as convincing as a scientist as I'm a ballerina and why the heck does that boring girl from Slumdog Millionaire still get employed?

Yeah, Drive is probably my favorite of the year, but we'll see what it does upon rewatch. Still, I feel it kicks the living shit out of anything I've seen by Hill or Friedkin, probably even early Mann, to drop all the by-now requisite points of cinematic reference. Indeed the film is rife with homage, but it's far from a shallow stylistic exercise. Refn uses genre and allusion as another formal tool in this consummate mood piece and meditation on masculine will/psychological isolation. The film feels assembled with an almost Bressonian approach to storytelling and technique, and many of the calm driving sequences evoke a contradictory aura of stillness and movement not unlike that which Hou achieves in Goodbye South, Goodbye to continue to mindlessly name-drop. Gosling is the core of the film in nearly every way, its driving (hurr) identity, its id. He takes Ryan O'Neal's archetype from The Driver and elevates it to something considerably substantial. Maybe one of the most significant (to both an actor's career talents and to the vitality of the film in question) film performances I've seen in years. Also, the opening getaway sequence is mindblowingly well constructed, a sophisticated layered construction of space, movement, time and visual/aural communication of information. Hawwww shit.

Drive is very good. I am not as over the top about it as you.
I have lived in the L A area all my life. I really liked the location shots.
I expected to see more chase scenes, I am glad there were not more.

Contagion is also very good. And I am not always a Soderbergh fan.

I forgot to mention how much I liked Drive's soundtrack. First time I've wanted to buy a soundtrack in quite a while.

And Suddenly I Miss Everyone (Et Soudain Tout Le Monde Me Manque)

A French film which features Melanie Laurent, and pretty much everyone on the director's previous film which also featured Melanie Laurent

It has the same visual stylistics as the previous film the film doesnt have an American protagonist - Justin Bartha from the Hangover this time around :(

Er... 3 out of 5

DRiver - 5 stars ,
wow lead actor shouldvecouldve been anakin skywalker , bruce wayne and john connnor
the sounds , brtual anti-hero , i don't care put him into blade runner sequel
we also get to see gordon freeman
:hyper:

contagion - very very good , soundtrack is fantastic , more imax , less 3d , screw them googles

I'll say this much for Tim Burton. Recently watched Sweeney Todd for the second time recently because the ladyfriend is a big fan (and am actually watching it again right now, because the disc is still in the drive and we're drunk/need something on in the background), and it's easily my favorite of his. Possibly the only Burton film (as much as I also love Batman Returns) where I'm impressed with his direction and particular creative choices. Of course it owes a lot to his long passion for the material and perfect aesthetic match with Sondheim's material. Such a propulsive, commandingly entertaining film. Good shit.

Too bad Johnny Depp can't sing.

At least Alan Rickman delivers.

Watch the DVD of the filmed play if you want to see Sondheim's work done with the proper talent.

I liked this film, but saying it's Burton's best still isn't saying much considering his filmography.

Alan Rickman is amazing!! one of my all-time fave actors (and i don't just mean his Harry Potter stuff obviously, although he was very good as Snape lol)

The Help

I saw this movie after an exhausting day at work so some of the southern accent-heavy dialogue flew right over my head, and some of the characters were too cartoonishly bad or too impossibly good, but I enjoyed it mostly because of the engaging cast - Viola Davis especially was a standout. I don't think I've seen such a female-centric film since Volver, maybe.

I'll say this much for Tim Burton. Recently watched Sweeney Todd for the second time recently because the ladyfriend is a big fan (and am actually watching it again right now, because the disc is still in the drive and we're drunk/need something on in the background), and it's easily my favorite of his. Possibly the only Burton film (as much as I also love Batman Returns) where I'm impressed with his direction and particular creative choices. Of course it owes a lot to his long passion for the material and perfect aesthetic match with Sondheim's material. Such a propulsive, commandingly entertaining film. Good shit.

To give him credit, it's one of the few times in his filmography where he's actually approached dark and macabre material and gone far enough with it to be disturbing. When the dead bodies slam into the floor? Shiiit.

Well, because he has such strong source material, and is constrained in having to include most of the songs, the film doesn't drown in its design or ill-conceived humor/arrested goth development like many of his other works.

There is something to be said for him stepping back and allowing the material to step forward and not be drowned out by his increasingly obnoxious directorial choices.

The only film of his that I remotely like after he made Ed Wood is Sleepy Hollow... and not even that much.

Moneyball-I thought they did a surprisingly good job with it. Brad Pitt, I'm not a big fan of his acting and I was skeptical about him playing this part but he was believable and good. Excellent screenplay, especially since it involved sabermetrics and, well, not the cliche sports drama or ending. Jonah Hill's performance was so funny and spot on.

Bonus points for the John Henry bit. Also for the Fenway shots.

Solid 8 or 8.5 out of 10 for me. Baseball fans will enjoy it even more but you don't have to be a baseball fan.

Big Fish will always be my favorite Tim Burton movie, it finally brought his love of the fantastic to a human, emotional level. That and Ed Wood are worth suffering through the remakes and re-adaptations. Also, Sweeney Todd was the last strong performance Depp gave until Rango, hopefully The Rum Diary brings back more of a 90's feeling to his work.

In Burton on Burton (interesting book, by the way) Burton concedes he is absolutely useless at creating a strong narrative drive so he focuses almost exclusively on character psychology and subtext which can be interpreted on different levels, however deep you want to go. He feels uncomfortable with dialogue scenes, and I imagine if he had own his way, his films would be entirely silent. He had (emphasis on 'had') a tremendous understanding of the visual language of cinema. I think Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood and Big Fish remain great films.

Well, Drive was pretty damn awesome, even if I found it a bit Michael Mann-lite. It doesn't come close to reaching the heights of that master. But I'm very impressed at the tone being maintained so well and not trying to insult the audience by making it more accessible to the ADD sheep that make up the viewing public.

Michelle Williams probably would have been better in Mulligan's role. Hendricks seemed a bit underused, but nice to see her in something different. Brooks was fun and I'm a longtime fan, but I don't understand the awards talk. It wasn't exactly a transformation, and he was just as good if not better in Soderbergh's Out Of Sight. And I thought his knife fetish seemed shoehorned in and a little forced.

I laugh that Lance has put this film ahead of Tree of Life for his Best of 2011, but am somehow not surprised.

The idea of Michelle Williams getting knocked up by a Latino makes me really sad. Glad it was Mulligan.

Tree of Life softened a lot for me on second viewing, now that I think about it, which is why Drive surpasses it for now. Pretty much all the other films for the year I'm excited about still haven't hit yet, though there's a fairly good quality screener of Melancholia out there now. Probably wait for HD or theater though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom