Movie Reviews part 13: How many movies will Jessica Chastain star in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purpleoscar

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Les Miserables 9/10: Wow! Another great movie. The audience cried and clapped. The acting is great all around. I really liked Hugh Jackman. I was totally moved. Hathaway was great and depressing. Russell Crowe did well as the baddy. Cohen and Carter were comedic highlights with master of the house and it reminded me of Sweeney Todd.

I also give Les Miserables 9/10.

I loved all the performances and I was moved to tears by some. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye in the theater once it was over. The audience even clapped when the credits came up, something I haven't seen happen since the end of LOTR: The Return of the King (then again, I don't go to many movie theaters).

My only complaint was that there were too many close-ups and that ruined some of the songs for me. I even felt like counting every bit of Russel Crowe's facial hair during one of his solos.

But yes, this movie was well done and I am so happy it was!

lazarus said:
Really? Father Mulcahy? Wouldn't that guy be way older now?

I got a big kick out of seeing Tom Wopat (aka Bo Duke) near the beginning.

if we are going to mention Django actor appearances

Bruce Dern needs to be noted, if for no other reason, 1968s Hang em High

sorry, I missed it, he would be at the top of my list of mentions

btw, I don't exactly owe you an apology, be you can say, "I told you so"

I dismissed, Justified, when it first aired as being not quite worth watching.

I an watching it now on reruns from the beginning on my dvr. It is without a doubt the best tv I am watching right now.

Yeah, that hardly requires an apology but the acknowledgement is nice. :) I'm just glad it's so good; happy to hear you're enjoying it!

I'm looking forward to the new season.

Les Miz left me remarkably unmoved. Hugh Jackman's nasally vocals got on my nerves. Anne Hathaway was pretty great, though.

I just saw Les Mis for the second time (went with a good friend who wanted to go). I came away still loving it overall, but a little more disappointed with darling Hugh. I know he can sing, and very well, but this wasn't the best role for him. They would have done well to knock the key down for him on Bring Him Home.

But I still cried, because I just fucking love the musical.

I got teary-eyed when I saw the Broadway show with the original cast a couple of times, but I did not even come close to feeling much of anything in this spectacle. Up until Hathaway's number I even contemplated leaving! Maybe I've heard those songs so much that they don't have any power over me anymore. Also, I really appreciate that the actors were singing live but in exchange for Anne Hathaway's raw emotion (which was amazing), we lost some of the power and beauty of the actual song because she cried through it. Still, it was probably just the mood I was in or something. I literally felt nothing the whole time. Maybe I don't have a heart or something. :sad:

I did like the young guy a whole lot as well as the big ensemble numbers.

of the three 'in contention' films for nominations I have seen in the last week

I rate Django Unchained as the best, just saw it last night, will probably see it a second time. next would be

Les Misérables, I had middling to low expectations, Hathaway is that good, no one was terrible (maybe S B Cohen) and I found the story telling much better than the top flight stage production I saw years ago. The live singing made it better, more natural than most musicals.

Lincoln, the more I think about this, the less I like it. Tarantino's depiction of the era is much more realistic over Spielbergs.

When the nominations are handed out, I am sure they will see it in reverse order to me.

I did like the young guy a whole lot as well as the big ensemble numbers.

Yeah, Marius and Enjolras (sp?) and all the other revolutionaries were great. As soon as they showed up, it was pretty much "Oh hey, the Broadway singers are here." Ha.

I wish they'd let Samantha Barks let a little belting into On My Own. (But man, I'm still so glad that Taylor Swift did not have that role.)

I was thinking I would have enjoyed Barks in the part of Cosette
but Amanda Seyfried is more bankable, and she was ok,
good to see in her next film she will use her stronger assets as she did in Chloe.

Seyfriend was fine as Cosette. She's got quite a twittery little vibrato, but that works well with the girlish Cosette.

Plus, it's a pretty high soprano part - I don't know much about Barks. As she's a Broadway pro and all, I'm sure she could have done it, but Seyfried's voice was a fine fit for it. She has a pretty, if not a trained, voice.

Also, for those who might not have known this (who might not be nerds about the musical like me), the priest was played by Colm Wilkinson, best known for being the original (and arguably the best) Valjean. Really nice to see him pop up. And in the show, the

final trio with dying Valjean + ghost Fantine, the third role is Eponine. While I missed hearing their little trio of voices for the final lines, it was really nice to see Wilkinson again, and plot-wise it makes more sense that he'd be welcomed to the pearly gates by the priest and not Eponine, who Valjean never really met.

I rate Django Unchained as the best, just saw it last night, will probably see it a second time.

This movie is next on my list.

Lincoln, the more I think about this, the less I like it. Tarantino's depiction of the era is much more realistic over Spielbergs.

I'll see this probably on Netflix.

Also, for those not nerds about the musical like me, the priest in the movie was played by Colm Wilkinson, best known for being the original (and arguably the best) Valjean. Really nice to see him pop up. And in the show, the

final trio with dying Valjean + ghost Fantine, the third role is Eponine. While I missed hearing their little trio of voices for the final lines, it was really nice to see Wilkinson again, and plot-wise it makes more sense that he'd be welcomed to the pearly gates by the priest and not Eponine, who Valjean never really met.

Yeah, I heard Colm Wilkinson was being cast as the bishop which I thought was a great idea.

I also liked how Eponine was not part of the dying scene. I never understood why she is in the musical because, as you said, Valjean never met her.

sister
This movie is next on my list.

I'll see this probably on Netflix.

you know I march to the beat of my own drummer
Lincoln is a good looking film and most everyone will see it.
My sister also has no interest in seeing it. Her husband and her mother, my step-mom, think it is brilliant. I told her she should see it so they will be quiet.

Django, is not a perfect movie. It closes with the typical high blood and body count as all of his other films. I am just glad it is there for young people to see along with Lincoln that depicts blacks in Washington DC, being treated better in 1860 than many were in 1960.

I mostly want to see Django because I've been hearing Leonardo DiCaprio does a great job and he doesn't play the villain that much, so I'd like to see how it goes.

Yeah, Marius and Enjolras (sp?) and all the other revolutionaries were great. As soon as they showed up, it was pretty much "Oh hey, the Broadway singers are here." Ha.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought.

I wish they'd let Samantha Barks let a little belting into On My Own.

Me, too. I was waiting for it to get big but it didn't go there. Despite how great her acting was (and Hathaway's), I really wanted to hear those songs in bigger voices. I wanted the singers to sing and leave the crying to the audience.

Agree with you on Seyfried's voice as well. I found it annoying but it also worked for the role.

I didn't mind so much that Russell Crowe didn't have a voice for the role. Somehow he was just good anyway because he seemed to just go about the business of acting and let the singing be what it was, which was adequate enough.

I liked what they did with the placement - Fantine singing I Dreamed a Dream made much more sense after becoming a prostitute. And Do You Hear the People Sing being where it was (flash mob!) was fantastic.

However, the 25th anniversary concert (save for Alfie Boe, who is amaaaaaazing, and the encore stuff with the multiple casts) is crap compared to the 10th anniversary concert. Lea Salonga plays her rightful role of Eponine, and there are no Jonas Brothers to be found.

i don't know anything about any of that, i just did a little youtube and stayed the hell away from that Britains Got Talent lady

By the way....and if this was mentioned already, please please forgive me for somehow missing it....but in Django Unchained, I got a big kick out of:

1) Cut a hole in a box

2) Waltz's character's name was Dr. King Schultz.

3) Kerry Washington's character's last name was Von Shaft.

I am sure most if not of all you picked up on this, it was not exactly subtle, but I still was amused by both.

Kerry Washington's character, Broomhilda Von Shaft, is supposed to be the great-great-great-grandmother of John Shaft.

You guys are all as fucked as I am.

I think Django Unchained is one of a kind, and it has an energy that is unmatched in any other film I've seen recently.

I think that Tarantino has a palpable ambitious drive, and a sort of psychotic power, that he puts in his movies, and nobody else approaches it.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Django Unchained
4. Kill Bill
5. Jackie Brown
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Death Proof

I really liked Django Unchained too. My list is slightly different than yours and I haven't seen Reservoir Dogs.

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Kill Bill Vol. 1
3. Django Unchained
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2
6. Death Proof
7. Jackie Brown

Back
Top Bottom