Movie Reviews part 13: How many movies will Jessica Chastain star in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Surprising. It's definitely my favorite Tati film, and by a considerable margin. Mon Oncle has some good visual gags, but it's a little too dry, lacking much of the romanticism of Playtime. M. Hulot's Holiday is a lot better, but something like the little brother to the former. Slight, but in a charming way. Of course anything comes off as slight compared to Playtime. Trafic, I found forgettable, couldn't tell you how that holds up.

Sadly the Criterion of Trafic is out of print. There's a UK disc but it isn't part of the BFI Tati collection (which has everything else for like £20). May pick it up anyway.

Or it might be better to just spend the same money to update my Play Time to Blu-ray...

Finally got around to popping in my Criterion disc of Jacques Tati's Play Time, simply one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

I can't imagine how one can even begin to appreciate what's going on here by seeing this on a small television; if you don't have a large-screen TV or a projector there might not be any point.

This is like a feature-length version of one of those satires of technology/modern convenience cartoons made in the 50's and 60's that would run in-between Tom & Jerry episodes. While not really a silent film, there's very little dialogue between people and most of the lines are just part of the overall soundtrack (brilliantly dominated by sound effects). Tati's iconic Mr. Hulot is the default main character, but he's really part of a large ensemble of French locals and American tourists trying to function amidst the labyrinths of metal and glass.

There's not really a plot either, though the film is divided into clear sections: an airport terminal, an office building, a showroom for new gadgets/furniture, a modern apartment, a new restaurant (the longest and funniest part of the film), and a traffic circle.

Back to the size of the frame: Shooting in 70mm and never going in for close-ups, Tati packs his images with so much information, your eyes are just free to dart around and pick up all the little character work and gags happening at once. I imagine the more you see this film the more you'll notice. I laughed out loud more times than I can remember, and was constantly marveling at the design and choreography of what was going on.

A one-of-a-kind film that I can't imagine anyone today being able to pull off.

I'm not at all familiar with this cat, so I might need to check his stuff out. Sounds like it'd be up my alley.

And, thanks for posting that, Joyful. Interesting read. Can't wait to see it.

There are three big Kubrick films I have yet to see:

Lolita
Spartacus
Barry Lyndon

Please rank these so I can place them accordingly in my netflix queue. Thx

EDIT: Shit, wrong thread. Oh well, this one is busier anyway.

Lolita is dead last for me in any list of Kubrick's films.

Not a very good adaptation, turning the whole story into a black comedy at the expense of its tragic nature, and Peter Sellers is allowed to run rampant without any regard to how it fits into the larger piece.

Spartacus is a work-for-hire, with Kubrick having come onto the production later, and it's more "compromised" than his other works, but it still very well done.

Barry Lyndon isn't for everyone in terms of the deliberate way it's paced and shot, but it has a lot of enthusiastic defenders.

1. Barry Lyndon
2. Spartacus
3. Lolita

Yeah, Barry Lyndon by a considerable margin there. One of my Kubrick favorites overall, really. Haven't seen Spartacus in years, though I suspect it's adequate Hollywood spectacle. Agree with Laz entirely regarding Lolita too. There's a later version of the novel with Jeremy Irons which is pretty fantastic though.

I don't know if you will allow me into you elite group
but Lynne's Lolita was my first exposure to the work, very good all the way around, then I read the book and understood why it was at the top of the list of the best 100 books of the last century.
As a big Kubrick fan, I finally got a chance at his film, I could not finish it. The worst Kubrick I have ever seen and dilution of source material

I'm surprised at the vitriol for Kubrick's Lolita because the reviews/ratings I've seen online have been very positive, and yet it does seem like the kind of storyline that would bring out the worst in Kubrick. The novel is a challenge all on its own, walking a tight rope between humanity and horror, and there isn't a great deal of room to improvise without upsetting that balance.

Seems there's consensus for Lyndon followed by Spartacus. I'll go with that, thanks.

Resnais' new one, You Aint Seen Nothin' Yet is fucking gangbusters. Holy shit am I in love with this film. No words. So compelling, so beautiful, so powerful, so fun and weird. Feels like a career-capping piece, but hopefully it's not. Dude's turning 91. Fucking hell.

So a few words, then.

I adore Wild Grass and Private Fears both. This is on the same tier at least, though more similar to Melo in general pace and tone, until the end at least.

Moonrise Kingdom

On initial reaction alone, I'd say a pretty strong 7 or 7.5/10. It's not my favorite of his films, but it's definitely worth the watch. I suppose my big problems with the film were the horrible effects for the lightning, fireball and ragging rapids as well as the super easy sappy ending.

Doesn't mean I didn't find the ending adorable though.

Quite pleased.

Really stiff dialogue and acting too, which is nothing new for Wes.

I found the plot extremely playful though, and it was interesting to see a Wes Anderson film end without much ambiguity. A rather unimaginative effort, but I had fun with it.

Moonrise Kingdom

On initial reaction alone, I'd say a pretty strong 7 or 7.5/10. It's not my favorite of his films, but it's definitely worth the watch. I suppose my big problems with the film were the horrible effects for the lightning, fireball and ragging rapids as well as the super easy sappy ending.

Doesn't mean I didn't find the ending adorable though.

Quite pleased.

saw it in the theater when it came out

I was a bit underwhelmed because it got such strong reviews, the narrator bothered me, did not fit for me.

also, I have liked at least 3 of his other films much more, and this was being touted as one of his best. I did go back for a second viewing, it did grow on me a bit, I had it at a 7, now would go to 7.5

Silver Linings Playbook

Synopsis: A witty, well-paced film with extremely capable acting falls apart in an embarrassing third act. It's so horrible, I was led to consider that it may have been a cynical parody of rom-coms. A waste of 75 quality minutes. I rant in greater detail about this in the spoiler tags, so if you haven't seen it, there's no real reason to continue reading.

First of all, everyone responsible for marketing this film should be fired. The trailers, tagline, hell, even the title did nothing to prepare me for what I was about to watch. The first 60 or so minutes of this film are brilliantly paced, witty, humorous and occasionally poignant. It was nothing like the generic Bradley Cooper rom-com I had envisioned. I'm by no means a fan of his acting, but his literally bipolar performance and his character's progression throughout the film are the main reason to watch. It's a delight seeing him interact with the measured DeNiro. Hell, the acting throughout this film is extremely competent. Great casting too; Jennifer Lawrence plays sarcastic, cynical ho better than I had imagined.

It's just a shame about the plot. The film fires on all cylinders as long as the characters are the main focus. Watching two people slowly kill each other for an hour sounds like a trudge, but I had a wonderful time. The character of Tiffany had so much energy and zeal despite her baggage that she made a terrific foil. As "friends," I could make sense of their relationship. Once she became the Love Interest, however, the film went off the rails because nobody would ever last in a relationship with either of them. Pat's last marriage (to total bitch Nikki, who is rightfully told off by Pat in his most mature moment of the film) was terrible, and now we're expected to cheer when he finally hooks up with a character as screwed up as he is? I didn't cheer. Especially not after we discovered how manipulative and conniving she is. Really just a bear of a character all around, it turns out. Jennifer Lawrence turns in a very good performance, but it only goes so far when the writing for her character is such a mess.

What really hurt the movie for me though wasn't that its ending scanned like particularly gooey fan fiction (it did), but how readily the latter portion of the film fell back on well-worn rom-com tropes and moronic plot devices. A dance competition? A bet to win back all of DeNiro's money? Getting the exact score needed to win said bet? Fuck off. Fuck you, David O Russell. You may win Best Adapted Screenplay for something that wouldn't pass muster in a creative writing class. Too many plot holes. Too much suspension of disbelief required. I felt dumber watching a movie that, for a while, actually felt challenging and memorable. It's disconcerting that so many critics tossed a perfect score at what was clearly a shoddily written movie. It doesn't take a seasoned critic or perceptive eye to notice the flaws here.

If the focus had rightfully been on the characters instead of forwarding a series of inane vignettes that were ultimately meant to convince us that two damaged characters are perfect for each other, and should, like, totally get together, this could have been a fantastic movie worthy of a Best Picture nom. What we've been given is not.

6/10

Yup, saw SLP two nights ago and agree with the third act wreckage in what's otherwise a good movie.

Too much weak plot introduced as an arbitrary obstacle when all they needed was to figure out how to keep Cooper and Lawrence bouncing off each other. More date nights. Whatever. But it was nearly worth it just for Lawrence delivering that monologue and then popping open a beer.

You can tell how bolted-on the gambling plot is when you plot out what would've happened if De Niro didn't have a dream of opening a stupid restaurant or whatever, and it basically ends up in the same point of C + L realizing through dance they're good for each other and Nikki's a pinhead, albeit far more efficiently with less wheel-spinning.

New Oscars Bylaw: No movie can be nominated for Best Director with a swirling 360* pan around the two leads kissing at the end of the film.

One glance at a plot synopsis is all it takes to know the film will inevitably hit a wall, because there's no saving that second paragraph:

Pat (Bradley Cooper) recently has been released into the care of his parents (Robert De Niro, Jacki Weaver) from a mental heath facility eight months after he was arrested for nearly beating the man who was having an affair with his wife to death. Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, Pat is trying to get in shape and reading books to convince his adulterous wife that they need to get back together.

By chance, while at a friend house for dinner, Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), who recently lost her husband in an accident. The two form an instant but unusual bond with each other. She promises to help Pat deliver a letter to his wife if he helps her in a dance competition. Things get serious though when Pat’s dad places a bet on how well the two place in the competition.

It's not David O Russell's fault that the plot of the novel he adapted is completely asinine. But I think he should have intervened with the ending, Kubrick style, and streamlined the film, focusing, as you said, on making us care about the unlikely relationship of Pat and Tiffany.

I agree with most of the above criticisms, yet the film won me over anyway.

Having said that, I really took issue with the conventional ending, and the generic way it was shot. Not just the 360 but the tracking shot around the living room at the end.

Seriously flawed but the actors carried me through, I guess.

A screenplay win here would be unfortunate. I wouldn't be crazy about Russell winning for Direction, either, but anyone over Spielberg for me.

I guess it's time I got around to watching some of these Oscar movies. Namely SLP and Argo. I soooo don't want to though, especially since I probably won't get a chance to actually watch the Oscars this year until after the fact.

I wouldn't bother, honestly. SLP is far from essential viewing, so unless you have a date that wants to see it there's no need.

I haven't seen Argo yet, but everyone calling it "good" but not "great" leaves me uninterested. The films with more divergent opinions tend to be the most rewarding.

Yeah, I generally agree. Love when films of interest like those coming out of the Berlinale right now get really divisive reactions, the new WKW and Dumont in particular. Something like Argo just seems like epically safe by-numbers Hollywood prestige, and whatever.

Then again I have screeners for both, but I guess I could still spend those four hours on something better.

Back
Top Bottom