Movie Reviews (20)14: Modern Times Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jodorowsky's Dune.

See this in the theatre if you have the chance. What a tragic story of an almost-movie, told by a mad wizard.

Considering this would have come out right after The Holy Mountain, there's no doubt in my mind this would have been a masterpiece, even if the effects may have been questionable. But just as Lucas lead his people to a groundbreaking technical achievement, I think Jodorowsky had the leadership/inspirational skills and the talent to have done the same.

Anyway. GO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywGFB6-VzY

I've been dying for this movie to come out. I have no business in Chicago in the coming week, though. I'll try and see if I can get out there before it's gone.

The Raid 2 10/10: One of the best martial arts movies ever made. Every time I thought a fight would turn out lame there would be some creative way of dispatching the bad guys. So much fun and the audience loved it. Great experience!

The Raid 2 10/10: One of the best martial arts movies ever made. Every time I thought a fight would turn out lame there would be some creative way of dispatching the bad guys. So much fun and the audience loved it. Great experience!

I love the first movie, looking forward to seeing htis.

Nebraska

I didn't love it, although I got a kick out of June Squibb's character mentioning my Wisconsin home town.

Pacific Rim

LOLs GIANT ROBOTS GIANT MONSTERS

It was very noisy and silly, but I liked it for what it was.

Pacific Rim

LOLs GIANT ROBOTS GIANT MONSTERS

It was very noisy and silly, but I liked it for what it was.

I was looking at that on my TW Cable last night, it did not hold my interest

but, I will say I did sit through it twice at the theater, this is one of those movies that a big screen, big sound and dark theater make a lot more enjoyable.

Draft Day: It's real bad, yo. 5/10

Divergent: Much better than I expected, but I still doubt I'll ever read the books. 7/10

Captain America: Liked it a lot, though I felt like that the segments of "action" in which a bunch of unknown people kept shooting at our heroes for extended periods of time got a bit repetitive. 7.5/10

The Grand Budapest Hotel
I can't say I love Wes Anderson films, but I generally appreciate them for their visual style and quirkiness and fun actor cameos. I liked this one a tad more than the others thanks to the European setting and Ralph Fiennes' M. Gustave, who I thought was Anderson's most likeable and engaging lead character so far.

The Lego Movie
When I first heard of this I kinda rolled my eyes and went, pffft whatever cynical cashgrab they'll think of next. I'm happy that the good reviews convinced me to see it, because I thought it was a blast and visually stunning too (loved the Lego ocean ripples). My only three complaints were, 1) I wish the action wasn't as frenetic at times; 2) someone's small kid started wailing and screaming near the end; and 3) I now can't get that damn Everything is Awesome song out of my head.

Rewatched RISES the other night for the first time since seeing it in the theater at the opening midnight showing. God, do I love this thing, and it's easily my favorite of the trilogy. I don't even particularly like the first two, as some of you might remember.

That ending, bleeding together that awesome moment with Alfred and Bruce at the restaurant and Robin finding the cave. Beautiful. I remember people (maybe even me) thinking that it should have faded to black with Alfred staring across the patio and not knowing if he actually did see Bruce. FUCK NO. The happy payoff is the whole thing.

Anyway, Bane's dialogue is as puffed-up and hilarious and cool as I remember it.

And Hathaway. Holy fuck, this was one of the most rewarding things about the rewatch. I remember being unsure about her turn after the opening night viewing. She kills it. She is so good. So sexy. So dangerous. Moves with the character just like she should. Really great stuff. And I'd like to sleep with her. THE ICE PLANET OF HATH. THE HATH RISES. THERE'S A STORM COMING MR. WAYNE YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS BETTER BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES.

Also really appreciated the whole Robin thing. The fact that Robin is there THE WHOLE TIME. He doesn't become Robin at the end. Batman actually has his sidekick the entire movie. He's just dressed as a cop instead of some ridiculous yellow spandex.

(The moment where Talia has the knife in Bruce's side and decides to go on this expository monologue explaining the entire trilogy is cringeworthy, but fuck it.)

Fuck. I love Anne Hathaway and I love this movie.

Well, apparently I just hate everything, because I absolutely loathed The Wolf of Wall Street.

I wanted everyone in it to die a horrible fucking death.

I enjoyed it while I was watching it but have no clue why it was put on a pedestal. I don't even know if it's top 10 Scorsese for me. The metacritic score of 75 is on the money, not so much the consensus of Scorsese stans.

Last edited:
It's not Top 10 Scorsese for me either. Not with that many great films under his belt.

But it was still better than most movies in contention last year.

Standing outside the theater up against my car listening to the 9th inning of White Sox/Yankees on the radio. T-minus 14 minutes to DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.

So fucking beyond excited.

Fucking hell, that was awesome.

Let me get one of my minor complaints out of the way, because it's unfortunately at the front of my mind:

I love Anna Paquin. The Rogue/Logan storyline in the very first X-Men film is possibly my favorite thing about the ENTIRE series. I loved everything about it. Her performance, her story, their chemistry together, the "unlikely friends on the road" narrative. It holds a place in my heart.

Tossing her in at the very end for a split second is just not enough. She should have been in it more. She should have been on the team fighting off the sentinels in the post-war apocalyptic future sequences. Logan should have said her name to Xavier when he mentioned the people that he needs to look out for in the future, alongside Storm, Scott, and Jean. SHE WAS HIS BEST FRIEND IN THE FIRST MOVIE! Fuck. Anyway. More Rogue in the the next one please.

Alright, now that that's out of the way.

I hadn't read the comic, and hadn't looked up really anything about the plot. When I realized that the main story was Wolverine, by himself, heading back to 1973 to convince McAvoy and Fassbender to help Jennifer Lawrence...I was completely on board. It's possible that Jackman's Wolverine has been overdone and become tired, so I thought that this was a good way to turn that on its head and give the character something at least a bit fresh. He doesn't have his adamantium, he doesn't know what the fuck is going on. This "fish out of water" thing has been done countless times but I thought here it was a lot of fun.

McAvoy and Fassbender kick ass.

Quicksilver practically steals the entire movie. JIM FUCKING CROCE. You'll know what I'm talking about. Wow.

Lawrence was great for the most part. A couple of clunky moments, but she's better here than she was in First Class. As for big actioners, she's waaaaaaaaay better as KATNISS than she is as Mystique...but there you go. Still good here. When you see her in the airport? Fuck me. Please. And the character's fighting movements are cooler and slicker here than they've ever been on screen. Including the Rebecca Romijn stuff.

There were times during the climactic battle(s) where I was concerned that it wasn't going to stick the landing, and then they hit us with a fucking totally satisfying coda. Really loved the last five minutes.

It's a time travel movie, so there are a couple of plot holes that will inspire eye rolls, but that comes with the territory in an ambitious venture like this. Ultimately this thing was just a fucking blast. Great cast, great visuals, funny, fanboy-friendly. Jive Turkey would have loved it. RIP.

16x9

claims several articles of his clothing went missing from the set

Standing outside the theater up against my car listening to the 9th inning of White Sox/Yankees on the radio. T-minus 14 minutes to DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.

So fucking beyond excited.

:doh: This is what I get for being snarky while exhausted...I read that as days and not minutes.

Really liked Godzilla. It was fun. I had very low expectations though.

I enjoyed it. One key plot point was spoiled for me by a local reviewer:
the fact that Godzilla is the good guy in this film
but still enjoyed it. Definitely more enjoyable than the Broderick/Reno adaptation.

X-Men: Days of Future Past 6.5/10: I was a little hyped up for this one and it was okay but it still felt derivative of Terminator 2 (which is better). It was worth seeing but forgettable.

Godzilla 6.5/10: I pretty much guessed a lot of the movie and especially the ending. In comparison to the prior Godzilla it was better. Seeing it once in IMAX was enough.

Back
Top Bottom