Motown appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Completely classic, soulful pop music. :up:

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
Marvin Gaye
Diana Ross & The Supremes
The Temptations
Stevie Wonder
Four Tops
The Isley Brothers
etc...

:drool: :drool: :drool: I was raised on this kind of music. My dad's favorite singer of all time is Smokey Robinson.

I think it's finest pop music ever written. Still holds up extremely well 50 years later. Only a heartless hate monger can hate Motown, and I bet there's even plenty of heartless hate mongers that dig on Motown as well.

UberBeaver said:
I think it's finest pop music ever written. Still holds up extremely well 50 years later. Only a heartless hate monger can hate Motown, and I bet there's even plenty of heartless hate mongers that dig on Motown as well.

:up:

I agree 100%

I hate to break it to you guys, but I don't think Al Green was on Motown.

But he's still awesome.

corianderstem said:
I hate to break it to you guys, but I don't think Al Green was on Motown.

But he's still awesome.

True, but he exemplifies the Motown Sound©, so he counts. To me anyway. :sexywink:

Ah, but if you go down that path, then someone will bring up Aretha ... also not on Motown.

And then someone will bring up Tiny Tim and the Captain and Tenille. Really, really not on Motown. :wink:

UberBeaver said:
Only a heartless hate monger can hate Motown, and I bet there's even plenty of heartless hate mongers that dig on Motown as well.

Even people who hate on Detroit love Motown music. :wink:

One of my favorite songs ever is a Motown oldie you don't hear that often - "Shotgun" by Junior Walker and the All-Stars.

I've never heard anything else from them, but man oh man, I love that song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2g3BdtDB4c

Has anyone seen "Standing In the Shadows of Motown," that documentary about the Motown studio musicians? It's supposed to be really good. Someone lent me the soundtrack, and that was killer as well.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

Has anyone seen "Standing In the Shadows of Motown," that documentary about the Motown studio musicians? It's supposed to be really good. Someone lent me the soundtrack, and that was killer as well.

No, but there's a lot of interesting stories surrounding Motown, I'd like to check it out.

The movie The Big Chill, I can't stand the film, but I'll leave it on because the music is all motown. And John Hurt is pretty funny.

Time to pimp out this shiznit.
icon6.gif

Stevie Wonder/Rolling Stones - Uptight/Satisfaction

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing

Supremes - Baby Love (from TOTP)

Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Lovin' ("live" from 1965)

Al Green - Let's Stay Together (Live, 1972)

:drool: :drool: :drool:

A couple of years back, through a friend of mine who is a music promoter, I got to hang with all four members of the Four Tops -- two original Tops, Duke Fakir and Obie Benson, and two replacement Tops. (I did not meet Levi Stubbs, who is in poor health.) It was a very cool experience.

Here are a couple of things I found out about them:
1) they are very nice to their fans
2) they know everyone in the music business, past and present, from Elvis to Joss Stone
3) THEY SING IN THE CAR.

One funny moment came when we went to lunch. A gentleman joined us and did not say a word. When I got the chance I asked him. "What do you do?" He said he was the Four Tops' valet -- "I take care of the suits." He flies to Vegas or wherever they are performing a day ahead of the band, and takes each set of four suits with him. They're set up and ready to go when the band gets there.

I love me some Motown, especially the Supremes and Stevie Wonder. My parents listened to a lot of Motown when I was a kid, so I'm very fond of it. Just great stuff.

It's pretty cool that alot of it took place in 1 studio. Think of some of the classic cuts that were laid down here. It's a mind fuck.

hits1.gif

No spoken words said:
I love me some Motown, especially the Supremes and Stevie Wonder. My parents listened to a lot of Motown when I was a kid, so I'm very fond of it. Just great stuff.

That pretty much sums it up. :up: :love:

MrBrau1 said:
It's pretty cool that alot of it took place in 1 studio. Think of some of the classic cuts that were laid down here. It's a mind fuck.

hits1.gif

If anybody visits Detroit, please go here. It's a wonderful experience. You can stand on the floor of the studio and look up to the recording booth where Holland Dozier Holland sat. (Berry Gordy sat upstairs in his office: if he came down, the producers knew they had a hit.)

Back
Top Bottom