Most - Least Influential Figures In Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well this is a thread about bands that inspire you to the point you want to be like them, musically or lyrically

anyway my most influential list

Lyrically
Depeche Mode
Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins
The Smiths
Pearl Jam
R.E.M
U2 - if i can make a tune like bono and make 10 million dollars from it, i think ill retire

Musically
The Smiths
Echo and the Bunnymen
Underworld
Aphex Twin
Turin Brakes- basic and simple, yet how many has been successful using such a basic formula?
Red Hot Chilli Peppers- something unconventional
Depeche Mode

Least Influential Musicians
Limp Bizkit
Britney Spears
Christina Agui-a-el-ra-ra-ra- whatever her name is
Anastascia
Travis
Ricky Martin
Celine Dion
Mariah Carey
Oasis
the Backstreet Boys
Ja Rule
Fatboy Slim
Michael Jackson(!)

and

anything played on radio actually :p

Last edited:
i'm kinda sleepy and loopy from staying up late last night, but off the top of my head and in no particular order, I would say...

most:
U2 (duh)
Radiohead
Doves
Elbow

least:
pretty much everything on pop radio
Creed and all their imitators
Britney and all her hoes
N'Sync and all their incarnations

sulawesigirl4 said:

least:
Britney and all her hoes

hmmm, i recognize how sleepy you are but since britney makes music...proves to be excessively popular...spawns more 'britneys'...repeat for backstreet boys...does that not make them very influential?
not resulting in quality products but definetely resulting in product;)

Well, I'm not really a musician aside from singing in church choir, so I can only reply as to how musicians have influenced me personally. They are:

1. U2
2. Bruce Springsteen

Least influential? Hair metal (please don't ever let it make a comeback), boy bands, Brittney and all her clones, rap (just don't care for it), and Creed and all the blah hard rock bands like them.

sulawesigirl4 said:

least:
Britney and all her hoes

A bit of a contradiction isn't it?
First you name an artist least influentialand after that you name their imitations------> which probably are quit few so they did have some influence and probably aren't the least influential artists after all. They may not make new, refreshing, original or good music, but they surely had their influence, whether you like it or not.

One of my personal favorite of most influential artists ever:

Kraftwerk

Least Influential:

"Eig & Eibig", some no-talented band that existed for 8 months, played a total of 2 very bad and short gigs and drank loads of beer. It was the only band I've ever been in, i was the lead "talker-singer-yeller-rapper-making-sounds-with-his-throat-guy"

Last edited:
kobayashi said:

hmmm, i recognize how sleepy you are but since britney makes music...proves to be excessively popular...spawns more 'britneys'...repeat for backstreet boys...does that not make them very influential?

sleepy as I am...I thought the question was what was personally influential to you. :lol:

Vorsprung said:
Damn....you were earlier with the same comment kobayashi........

:p

i'm just takin cheap shots at sula...since she can't stop doing the same to me;):p

after a moment of reflection...i'm going to say i am the least influential person in music history...tho i did speak with edge, adam and larry i don't think they mind what i said while recording the new album.

sulawesigirl4 said:

sleepy as I am...I thought the question was what was personally influential to you. :lol:

how 'bout that!:huh:
who knew?
certainly not me.

note:
read thread.
then post.

p.s. britney rawks.

in no particular order:

Lyrically

U2
Nick Cave
Bruce Springsteen
R.E.M.

Musically

U2
Coldplay
Radiohead
Pearl Jam
The Smashing Pumpkins
Nirvana
Garbage
Blur

Least Influential Musicians

Britney Spears
Boy-Bands
The Calling

kobayashi said:
p.s. britney rawks.

:shocked:
icon21.gif

:scratch:

even though I really suck at guitar I would have to say
most influential - Lindsey Buckingham
least influential - the rest

[color=royal blue]1. I think Michael Jackson has been extremely influential. I wasn't really conscious at the time he was really big, but.......still.

2. INFLUENTIAL:
U2 (NAAW)
Broooooooce
Van Morrison
The Smiths / Moz
Rolling Stones
Beatles (whom I don't really like, but I've heard they're big...)
Led Zeppelin..
GnR
Elton John
Smashing Pumpkins
Alanis Morrissette (seriously)

more I can't think of...

3. NOT INFLUENTIAL:
I don't waste my time knowing their names...
[/color]

Yes, I think a distinction needs to be drawn between 'influential' and 'good'. Frankly, a lot of very bad music has been very influential, and vice versa. I'm not sure that many of the bands or singers I follow are very influential at all, and at this late stage I don't really care. I suppose they influence me, but that's a different story altogether.

Michael Jackson, unfortunately, was indeed influential. He single-handedly launched the tradition of absurd million-dollar movie length 'music videos', possibly the great curse of our age. In fact I will go out on a limb here and say that I consider Jacko to be one of the leading influences on Limp Bizkit. Where else did they get that schtick of theirs? I'm sorry boys, but you just can't really be 'badass' and angry when you're standing on top of a skyscraper with dancing girls or driving a mercedes. Ah, it's like shooting fish in a barrel, really. At least they realise they are shite.

Rule One in my book - if your video is longer than your song, you have a problem.

Kieran McConville said:
Yes, I think a distinction needs to be drawn between 'influential' and 'good'. Frankly, a lot of very bad music has been very influential, and vice versa. I'm not sure that many of the bands or singers I follow are very influential at all, and at this late stage I don't really care. I suppose they influence me, but that's a different story altogether.

I think the original post did say that it was about the artists who inspire and influence -you- rather than the other artists.

Michael Jackson is a genius. Savant perhaps, but the man is an absolute freak when it comes to performing.

This is not my answer however. I do not wish to be like him in anyway.

bullet the blue sky said:
To say the likes of Michael Jackson and Britney (that's with one t) Spears are not influential is to be an idiot.

To fail to read the original question before responding is also to be an idiot. :tongue:

Question: what artists are most influential to you personally. :lol:

I can honestly say that Britney Spears falls in the category of "least influential" for me personally, regardless of her effect on society.

oh
MORE MORE MORE!

jeff buckley and the joy division as the most influential

but also the fact that their reign was short lived

still they left their mark as if they never left

Joy Division for their pure energy and post punk revolution

and Jeff Buckley's incredulous voice and guitar work

William Shatner. Yup, the Cap'n cut an album many galaxies ago. It consisted of covers by such artists as The Beatles and Elton John. Imagine James T. singing Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. Oh yeah, The New Kids kind of sucked. So did MC Hammer. Vanilla Ice too.

kobayashi said:

Her producer is more influential than her, if you track it down to the musical components of her success.

Back
Top Bottom