Most influential bands in your eyes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey hey folks

just wondering if you were to start a band and write music who would you list as your great influences?

mine would be:

U2 - i want to write a song or sing a song like One make a billion bucks from it and never have to work another day again in my whole life

David Bowie - the ability to 'change' yourself

Depeche Mode - song writing, and anton corbijn

The Cure

R.E.M

last but not least

Living Colour - they are black and they play rock music, this philosophy applies especially for me, given i am chinese, and the generalisation is that chinese people make nothing but piss weak attempts at copying backstreet boys!

The Clash, The Beatles, Talking Heads, Radiohead, Le Tigre

Wow, that would produce some fucked up songs! :lmao:

~LadyLemon~ said:
The Clash, The Beatles, Talking Heads, Radiohead, Le Tigre

Wow, that would produce some fucked up songs! :lmao:

not as fucked up as mine would be

everything you listen to influences you in some way...so that would mean i'd probably be listening agnostic front and the barenaked ladies next to each other...

:shifty:

Metallica (the Old One)
Black Sabbath
Apocaliptica (I would call a pair of friends to play their violins there)

we would destroy the stage...

Lyrically -- Ed Harcourt, Idlewild, Elbow, Super Furry Animals, Ryan Adams, Doves, Tom McRae
Musically -- Ed Harcourt, Tom McRae, Damien Rice, Mojave 3, Ryan Adams, Seafood, Starsailor, The Delgados, Camera Obscura, Gemma Hayes, Beth Orton, U2
Vocally -- Mazzy Star, Granada, The Delgados, Lisa Hannigan, Gemma Hayes

If I had ANY talent, that is.

Radiohead
The Cure
The Smiths
The Clash
The Shins
Idlewild
Sigur Ros
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
REM
AFI
Bouncing Souls
Weezer
Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave
U2
etc

ooohhhh there are so many, the obvious choices would be of course,

the beatles, if only for the prolific Lennon/McCartney writing partnership

the beach boys, for the breakthrough of 'pet sounds'

the rolling stones, for surving

David Bowie, after seeing him live just recently, I was certainly able to hear how his musical style has influenced so, so, soooooooo many other artists and the fact that he looked and sounded first class for a man nearing 60, just adds to his living legend status!

U2, well cause they are U2

the clash, whilst the Sex Pistols might of been the punk band to grab all of the attention the clash had the longevity and talent

and now some that I dont think have been mentioned,

Robert Johnson, the father of the delta blues style and probably the most influential blues musician, nearly all blues musicians and 60s rockers have been inspired by this man

Brian Eno, for making ambient and progressive rock interesting and beautiful

Paul Simon, for the lyrics, harmonies and highlighting the struggles of apartheid:wink:

U2, Depeche Mode/Martin L. Gore, David Bowie, the Clash, The Adicts, the Gears, Elvis costello, moving units, the Police,johnny cash, kenna.

everything inspires me even crappy music. it inspires me to try harder when i'm writting my songs

The Smiths, The Beatles, Pre-Elvis "black music", Elvis, The Beastie Boys, Boards of Canada, Radiohead. I suppose U2 could be mentioned too, but I'm hesitant because I can't really think of too many bands who've come all that close to having a sound similiar to theirs.

Back
Top Bottom