More than a month after x&y is released, and I am underwhelmed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
really.
I gave it alot of chances.
but it's just so obvious, and ultimately boring.
speed of sound is just too much like clocks for me.
fix you is too much like the scientist for me.
white shadows is on unforgettable fire, right?
etc. etc.

maybe without all the hype surrounding it it would be tolerable, but man....just so underwhelming.

it's like a song like fix you could've been huge, but those lyrics.....see, you walk a fine line with a song like that; u2 could've pulled it off because the lyrics probably would've been better (although in the last 5 years their lyrics have sometimes been crap also).

"when you lose something you can't replace"

it's one step away from a bon jovi power ballad.

anyways, dissappointed.

So am I the only person on this forum who doesn't see the UF-ness of White Shadows?

inmyplace13 said:
So am I the only person on this forum who doesn't see the UF-ness of White Shadows?

I dont, at all.

Why did we need yet another thread on this?

inmyplace13 said:

I think so, although, in my book that doesn't make it bad, it's one of my favourites on the album.

I feel like my thread is different.

here's why:

when the album came out, there was instant backlash, and there was instant praise. fights broke out, discussions turned ugly, and cats began sleeping with dogs.

so I took a step back.

I listened to the album. listened again. again. (you get the idea).

so now after a month of giving it a chance, I've decided to give my opinion on a hottly debated topic.
if you don't like the topic, don't respond and this thread will quickly be forgotten.

Coincidently, X&Y just went double platinum.

BLANG BLANNGGGG

inmyplace13 said:
Coincidently, X&Y just went double platinum.

BLANG BLANNGGGG

so do britney's records.

ummm......blam.....or something......

I'm not saying the platinumness gives it any merit. I'm saying it's a nice piece of trivia.

I couldn't care less how many records they sell.

I think the infinitely better Rush Of Blood already has that covered.

I wish they were still just like one of my little bands from the Parachutes days, but what are you gonna do? I'd prefer them to not sell many records at all, but they do, so I live with it.

Anyways, back on topic time. I was just throwing the double platinum thing out there because I just read it.

Palace_Hero said:
I could, I don't want that wanky record being their breathrough as a massive band worldwide.

Jeez, what has Coldplay done to you for you to have such an adament dislike for them? Has Chris come by and kicked your dog?

JOFO, you may want to check out this thread:

http://forum.interference.com/t130086.html

So it's been a while since it was released and you want to talk about it. Find one of the bazillion Coldplay threads already in existence and get to it. Those of us talking about the latest Tori Amos album and tour have been using the same thread for months. You can do it too.

Please stop bashing a person just because he makes a perfectly legitimate thread about how he feels after having listened to a certain album....:shrug:

I don't find the lyrics on Fix You to be that terrible... it's the way he sings them. He sings the whole song so high, it's irritating!

"Could it be wo-or-orse?" is the biggest example of what I'm talking about. The whole song is high, and it makes me want to question his manhood. Jeez... you can sing the song with some passion without the high-voice/falsetto crap.

The last line, he sings the same lyrics lower, and even then they sound better.

I'm a huge Coldplay fan and love all 3 of their albums.

The one thing that really bothers me and other fans is what Needle_Chill said: Chris Martin sings waaay too high all the time and is always in falsetto, which gets really old. I hate to say it, but I think it's the best indication that Martin has a very limited range as a singer.

Needle_Chill said:
I don't find the lyrics on Fix You to be that terrible... it's the way he sings them. He sings the whole song so high, it's irritating!

"Could it be wo-or-orse?" is the biggest example of what I'm talking about. The whole song is high, and it makes me want to question his manhood. Jeez... you can sing the song with some passion without the high-voice/falsetto crap.

The last line, he sings the same lyrics lower, and even then they sound better.

lol are you serious??

ImOuttaControl said:
I hate to say it, but I think it's the best indication that Martin has a very limited range as a singer.

In the past he has admitted to his restricted range, and I'm sure most of the Coldplay fan contingent knows that he took singing lessons during and after the tour for Parachutes. At the very least he has attempted to refine his vocal style... but whether or not he has been successful in striving to expand his abilities is a conclusion better reserved for the individual listener.

I agree that A Rush of Blood to the Head is much better; but X&Y has some good songs on it. The problem is the end of the record... Low, Hardest Part, Swallowed in the Sea... Not necessarily bad but they're not as good as the first tracks.

I also agree about the unneccesary falsetto in Fix You. However, Buckland's amazing guitar makes me forget the first half of the song so easily...!

White Shadows: the guitar sounds a lot like Edge (delay, echo, etc.). There's no denying it. It's compared to UF also because of the off-beat new-wave synths in the verses. There's something similar in Indian Summer Sky. It's mostly the feel of the song. BUT: the chorus does not sound like UF, neither does the build-up leading to it. But it's really hard not to see that it sounds like Edge...

Twisted Logic and Talk are some great songs, though.

But it's not Parachutes or Rush.

"White Shadows" wasn't on Unforgettable Fire, it was on Purple Rain. I mean, geez.

Anyway, I think it's their best album so far. There aren't really any individual stand-outs, it just all works well as a whole. I actually like the second side ("Speed of Sound" to "'Til Kingdom Comes") most.

I really can't get into the album either. I think Fix You is a brilliant song (though the line "high up above or down below" is very cliched) and I think Speed of Sound is better than Clocks but the rest of the album is pretty forgettable. I can't undestand why it has, generally, got really good reviews (possibly the hype?) because apart from those songs I mentioned (maybe What If aswell though that is very formulaic) I don't particularly like the other songs. I don't hate them (say the way I hate "you're beautiful" by James Blunt) but they are just very bland. To add to that I have definitely heard "Swallowed in the sea" somewhere before and "A message" sounds very familiar also. After giving the album a really good listen I would give it 3/5 (only so high because Fix You is so brilliant)

I like a few songs on X & Y, but overall I think it is a dissapointing album. Most of the songs are too similar, they are hard to distinguish from one another. Their last two albums are so much better.

Back
Top Bottom