More than a month after x&y is released, and I am underwhelmed. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #21
War Child
 
Needle_Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 848
Local Time: 07:40 PM
I don't find the lyrics on Fix You to be that terrible... it's the way he sings them. He sings the whole song so high, it's irritating!

"Could it be wo-or-orse?" is the biggest example of what I'm talking about. The whole song is high, and it makes me want to question his manhood. Jeez... you can sing the song with some passion without the high-voice/falsetto crap.

The last line, he sings the same lyrics lower, and even then they sound better.
__________________

Needle_Chill is offline  
Old 08-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #22
Refugee
 
ImOuttaControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes
Posts: 1,452
Local Time: 06:40 PM
I'm a huge Coldplay fan and love all 3 of their albums.

The one thing that really bothers me and other fans is what Needle_Chill said: Chris Martin sings waaay too high all the time and is always in falsetto, which gets really old. I hate to say it, but I think it's the best indication that Martin has a very limited range as a singer.
__________________

ImOuttaControl is offline  
Old 08-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #23
Refugee
 
The OOTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Everything in its right place.
Posts: 1,470
Local Time: 04:40 PM
I don't get the UF comparisons at all.
The OOTS is offline  
Old 08-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #24
Refugee
 
Mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MTY, Mexico
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 05:40 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Needle_Chill
I don't find the lyrics on Fix You to be that terrible... it's the way he sings them. He sings the whole song so high, it's irritating!

"Could it be wo-or-orse?" is the biggest example of what I'm talking about. The whole song is high, and it makes me want to question his manhood. Jeez... you can sing the song with some passion without the high-voice/falsetto crap.

The last line, he sings the same lyrics lower, and even then they sound better.
lol are you serious??
Mofo is offline  
Old 08-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
cujo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Province
Posts: 5,820
Local Time: 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
I hate to say it, but I think it's the best indication that Martin has a very limited range as a singer.
In the past he has admitted to his restricted range, and I'm sure most of the Coldplay fan contingent knows that he took singing lessons during and after the tour for Parachutes. At the very least he has attempted to refine his vocal style... but whether or not he has been successful in striving to expand his abilities is a conclusion better reserved for the individual listener.
cujo is offline  
Old 08-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #26
Acrobat
 
Badyouken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 488
Local Time: 11:40 PM
I agree that A Rush of Blood to the Head is much better; but X&Y has some good songs on it. The problem is the end of the record... Low, Hardest Part, Swallowed in the Sea... Not necessarily bad but they're not as good as the first tracks.

I also agree about the unneccesary falsetto in Fix You. However, Buckland's amazing guitar makes me forget the first half of the song so easily...!

White Shadows: the guitar sounds a lot like Edge (delay, echo, etc.). There's no denying it. It's compared to UF also because of the off-beat new-wave synths in the verses. There's something similar in Indian Summer Sky. It's mostly the feel of the song. BUT: the chorus does not sound like UF, neither does the build-up leading to it. But it's really hard not to see that it sounds like Edge...

Twisted Logic and Talk are some great songs, though.

But it's not Parachutes or Rush.
Badyouken is offline  
Old 08-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #27
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,020
Local Time: 04:40 PM
"White Shadows" wasn't on Unforgettable Fire, it was on Purple Rain. I mean, geez.

Anyway, I think it's their best album so far. There aren't really any individual stand-outs, it just all works well as a whole. I actually like the second side ("Speed of Sound" to "'Til Kingdom Comes") most.
typhoon is offline  
Old 08-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #28
Acrobat
 
Acrobat_Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 432
Local Time: 06:40 PM
I love the album....I don't care what you might say...

Acrobat_Al is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 05:19 AM   #29
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 211
Local Time: 12:40 AM
I really can't get into the album either. I think Fix You is a brilliant song (though the line "high up above or down below" is very cliched) and I think Speed of Sound is better than Clocks but the rest of the album is pretty forgettable. I can't undestand why it has, generally, got really good reviews (possibly the hype?) because apart from those songs I mentioned (maybe What If aswell though that is very formulaic) I don't particularly like the other songs. I don't hate them (say the way I hate "you're beautiful" by James Blunt) but they are just very bland. To add to that I have definitely heard "Swallowed in the sea" somewhere before and "A message" sounds very familiar also. After giving the album a really good listen I would give it 3/5 (only so high because Fix You is so brilliant)
nickypiemcg is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 07:30 AM   #30
Acrobat
 
dipster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 300
Local Time: 06:40 PM
I like a few songs on X & Y, but overall I think it is a dissapointing album. Most of the songs are too similar, they are hard to distinguish from one another. Their last two albums are so much better.
dipster is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 10:50 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,197
Local Time: 11:40 PM
I've had the album for about 3 weeks now. It's a good album, but it's typical coldplay. I can only listen to a handful of the 13 songs. The songs that I do listen to, are very good. The rest, are pretty forgetful and you could mix and match with any song off of their first 2 albums. My one complaint seems to be a reoccuring theme, the songs sound too similar. The echo delay guitar, the similar drum patterns. The bass does seem to be pretty good though....

That being said, I think it's good that they are getting the attention. Compeition is good for everything. It means other bands will try to raise their game with their next effort. Even if x&y isn't really as great as what the hype suggests, it still puts pressure on others to try and reach the same level.
BEAL is online now  
Old 08-10-2005, 11:00 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badyouken
However, Buckland's amazing guitar makes me forget the first half of the song so easily...!
That is actually what has contributed the most to my increased dislike for Coldplay (aside from Chris Martin's terrible lyrics). I used to be a fan...Parachutes was brilliant. But Jon Effing Buckland has since decided, "hey, it's all right to rip off The Edge!" If I want to hear someone play like The Edge, I'll listen to a U2 album, thanks.

Anyway, I agree with JOFO. To me, the album is completely underwhelming and even a little embarrassing. "Fix You" makes me want to...break something. The whole album, save for three songs (Low, X&Y, and Twisted Logic), makes me want to break something. And not in the good way that albums like War, Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols, and The Clash do. In fact, when I listen to X&Y, the only thing I want to break is the bloody CD. To repeat something I've said before: it sounds to me like Coldplay took the waste products of U2 and Radiohead, then forgot to treat them properly before making them available for human consumption.
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #33
The Fly
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Posts: 271
Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
really.
what a surprise, another Coldplay bashing thread.
so underwhelming.
Hahaha!!

Anyway, I see what you guys mean though -- there are only a few tracks that really interest me (I actually like Fix You, except the 'ignite your bones' part...)... I have all other Coldplay CD's and really love RoBttH... Parachutes is good too... They at least keep me captured the entire way through the album...
schnazdoodle is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #34
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,020
Local Time: 04:40 PM
Who cares if the guitarist is a big Edge rip-off? Edge is a big Tom Verlaine rip-off. It's rock and roll. It doesn't matter if it's derivative so long as it's good.

If you don't like the new Coldplay album, just say you don't like it and stop trying to make your opinion sound more authoritative with the now standard "OMG U2 RIPOFF OLOL?!?!?"

(And honestly, U2 puts out albums on four year cycles now, so if another band wants to step in and give us some U2 albums in between, that wouldn't bother me.

But then, I don't think Coldplay sounds that much like U2 in the first place, probably because I recognize that U2's sound isn't totally unique and you can play spot-the-influences in their music just as easily.)
typhoon is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #35
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Utah
Posts: 37,188
Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Who cares if the guitarist is a big Edge rip-off? Edge is a big Tom Verlaine rip-off. It's rock and roll. It doesn't matter if it's derivative so long as it's good.

If you don't like the new Coldplay album, just say you don't like it and stop trying to make your opinion sound more authoritative with the now standard "OMG U2 RIPOFF OLOL?!?!?"

(And honestly, U2 puts out albums on four year cycles now, so if another band wants to step in and give us some U2 albums in between, that wouldn't bother me.

But then, I don't think Coldplay sounds that much like U2 in the first place, probably because I recognize that U2's sound isn't totally unique and you can play spot-the-influences in their music just as easily.)

This post was so good and accurate, I just had to quote the whole thing. Is Coldplay a U2 ripoff? No more than U2 is a Television ripoff. Is it too much to expect U2 fans actually realize that U2 themselves dont exactly have the most unique and original sound ever? No. Is it unfair that U2 fans bash other groups for being influenced by U2's sound when U2 themselves have had some extremely obvious influences throughout their entire career? Yes.
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Aygo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Barcelona, Spain [Lisbon, Portugal]
Posts: 3,546
Local Time: 11:40 PM
I'm sorry but... one thing is to be influenced by another band or artist...
Another thing is when you hear an album and you have the feeling that you have already heard that song before but that's not the song you were thinking. Another thing is when a band admits to make plagiarium and admits that in the making-process of the album had posters of a band and imagines a fight between his band and the idolatred band...
Another thing is to have similar video-clips to the idolatred band and try to follow its steps by the older band's footprints...
Aygo is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 06:40 PM
opinion≠fact.

some people need to get over themselves, plain and simple. some people like it, some people don't. music is about the single most subjective thing out there. personally, if htdaab wasn't a u2 album i would rate x&y as superior. in fact, i'd have to say that x&y is superior to atyclb. yes, i am a life long u2 fan.
Se7en is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,422
Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo



This post was so good and accurate, I just had to quote the whole thing. Is Coldplay a U2 ripoff? No more than U2 is a Television ripoff. Is it too much to expect U2 fans actually realize that U2 themselves dont exactly have the most unique and original sound ever? No. Is it unfair that U2 fans bash other groups for being influenced by U2's sound when U2 themselves have had some extremely obvious influences throughout their entire career? Yes.

admittedly, I have never heard Television...ever. I wouldn't know tom verlaine's playing if it hit me in the face. are they any good?
anyone care to post a tune or two to illustrate your point?
JOFO is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,422
Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aygo
I'm sorry but... one thing is to be influenced by another band or artist...
Another thing is when you hear an album and you have the feeling that you have already heard that song before but that's not the song you were thinking. Another thing is when a band admits to make plagiarium and admits that in the making-process of the album had posters of a band and imagines a fight between his band and the idolatred band...
Another thing is to have similar video-clips to the idolatred band and try to follow its steps by the older band's footprints...

I agree with you, but to be honest, coldplay, apart from a few songs, DON'T sound like u2 to me, generally speaking; with this album they sound like a band trying to get closer to the u2 sound, whatever that is....but they're not making it. so in the process, they've watered down the coldplay sound (whatever that is) and generally gotten called on it.

look, I still prefer them to alot of bands out there, simply because you don't hear that many good bands these days. I just think the hype is way too much, as it was for htdaab to be honest.

I've seen at least 5 magazine covers with coldplay which state "are they the next u2" or something similar.
I don't remember any magazine's asking "are they the next who/zeppelin/stones/dylan" after WAR came out.
JOFO is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #40
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 211
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
opinion≠fact.

some people need to get over themselves, plain and simple. some people like it, some people don't. music is about the single most subjective thing out there. personally, if htdaab wasn't a u2 album i would rate x&y as superior. in fact, i'd have to say that x&y is superior to atyclb. yes, i am a life long u2 fan.
Seriously? You would rate X&Y over HTDAAB?!!! Fair enough I think Fix You is better than anything on HTDAAB but overall HTDAAB is way ahead of X&Y in my estimations. X&Y is just totally hyped. I have been listening to it since the day it came out and apart from Fix You and Speed Of Sound I don't rate any of the tracks at all. I mean I cannot listen to them anymore. I like Coldplay but X&Y is poor compared to A Rush of Blood to The head. The reviews have just been ridiculous. The worst I have seen it get is 4/5. I mean come on! I refuse to believe that there are only a few people who think it is very mediocre. It's all just hype. I bet in a few years it will not be held in such high regard as it is now.
__________________

nickypiemcg is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×