Morón Air Base, Spain Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I can't keep myself awake any longer. Have a good night, folks. I'm off to have a nice, long sleep. :wave:

I'm working on my story again. I want to get to chapter 4 by next weekend on my editing.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Final thoughts? Apart from it being slow and strange, both of which I agree with.

It felt like No Country For Old Men, but without the action scenes. I saw the boy being an orphan from the very beginning. I liked it--it just wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be.

That's cool.

I still don't think there's a performance in No Country as strong as D-Day's in TWBB though.

LemonMacPhisto said:
That's cool.

I still don't think there's a performance in No Country as strong as D-Day's in TWBB though.

No, that's very true. I thought Josh Brolin could've done much better in NCFOM. But DDL is pretty amazing. His character in Gangs of New York is one of my favourite performances/characters ever.

the tourist said:

No, that's very true. I thought Josh Brolin could've done much better in NCFOM. But DDL is pretty amazing. His character in Gangs of New York is one of my favourite performances/characters ever.

Same here. He's my favorite actor along with Bill Murray and Christian Bale.

Jonny Greenwood's score and the classical pieces scattered in TWBB are fucking awesome. The track from Bodysong used during the derrick explosion does it for me every time - one of the more exciting sequences that I saw all of last year.

Johnny Greenwood did the score? I didn't know that. Anyway, I agree with you about Christian Bale, but I've never much enjoyed Bill Murray.

the tourist said:
Johnny Greenwood did the score? I didn't know that. Anyway, I agree with you about Christian Bale, but I've never much enjoyed Bill Murray.

Wow.

Not a fan of Ghostbusters, The Life Aquatic, Rushmore, Lost in Translation, or Caddyshack?

Hey, LMP, tell me, how do you usually craft your playlists? Do you just take one song at a time and make something out of them, or do you just take a bunch of material and cut out the unnecessary bits? Right now, I'm making one by doing the latter; taking about 60-70 songs and cutting the surplus down. No idea how it'll turn out. It looks like sheer madness right now.

LemonMelon said:
Hey, LMP, tell me, how do you usually craft your playlists? Do you just take one song at a time and make something out of them, or do you just take a bunch of material and cut out the unnecessary bits? Right now, I'm making one by doing the latter; taking about 60-70 songs and cutting the surplus down. No idea how it'll turn out. It looks like sheer madness right now.

I usually make a massive playlist of any song I think would be cool for the list - it can run about 300-400 deep. Then I make a separate, empty playlist to deposit the songs I know I'm going to use and try and develop a structure.

The other list stays open to either switch songs out between artists or add/cut altogether. Once I have the basic structure of the list, it becomes easier.

But yeah, it's daunting when you first start out that way, but you start to develop a taste of what you want easier.

I have a similar question for you: what's your criteria for the "flow" of a list.

Screwtape2 said:

The Life Aquatic, Rushmore and Lost In Translation are my favorite roles for him. Rushmore in particular is great.

The Life Aquatic and Lost in Translation are my favorite performances of his, but Ghostbusters and Caddyshack are his best straight comedic ones.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I have a similar question for you: what's your criteria for the "flow" of a list.

Two things:

1. I listen to the first and last 10-20 seconds of each song to judge the immediate flow between them. You can tell what's jarring pretty easily after a while.

2. I judge the overall emotional flow (or mood) by listening to the tempo of each track. It's one thing for the last 10 seconds to fit into the first 10 of another, but if the whole track doesn't carry on the momentum of the previous track, it doesn't work.

LemonMelon said:

Two things:

1. I listen to the first and last 10-20 seconds of each song to judge the immediate flow between them. You can tell what's jarring pretty easily after a while.

2. I judge the overall emotional flow (or mood) by listening to the tempo of each track. It's one thing for the last 10 seconds to fit into the first 10 of another, but if the whole track doesn't carry on the momentum of the previous track, it doesn't work.

Okay, the first one I've tried to do before, not as much the second one.

What would you think I have to improve upon flow-wise?

LemonMacPhisto said:

Okay, the first one I've tried to do before, not as much the second one.

What would you think I have to improve upon flow-wise?

I honestly don't know. Your flow isn't bad at all right now, but it's not likely to ever be your best asset as long as you cherish individual moments over the whole picture. That's what's given you so much success in the past, as it makes your list LOOK really incredible on first glance, but it would really help in the long run if you began to mentally partition off your list into different segments so the ebb and flow of it can be more easily detected. That's one of my only suggestions.

LemonMelon said:

I honestly don't know. Your flow isn't bad at all right now, but it's not likely to ever be your best asset as long as you cherish individual moments over the whole picture. That's what's given you so much success in the past, as it makes your list LOOK really incredible on first glance, but it would really help in the long run if you began to mentally partition off your list into different segments so the ebb and flow of it can be more easily detected. That's one of my only suggestions.

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I like hearing a good flow between the tracks and definitely respect if they contribute to an overall theme or concept, but you're right, I'll still think it's more about the songs themselves.

I tried to work on the song-by-song flow, but now I feel parts of it meander, particularly toward the end.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I like hearing a good flow between the tracks and definitely respect if they contribute to an overall theme or concept, but you're right, I'll still think it's more about the songs themselves.

You know, just a thought, but I think it would be really fucking incredible if we collaborated on a list just once. Think about it; my specialty is getting a list to flow, but there's no way in hell I could come up with as many great songs as you consistently do. Plus, you have more funk, and I have more indie. It would be a perfect combination. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom