Monty Python Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Yahoo news.

NEW YORK - "Spamalot" didn't get a lot. "Monty Python's Spamalot," an irreverent romp inspired by the British film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," led all plays and musicals at the Tony Awards with 14 nominations, but took away only three prizes Sunday. It won the one that mattered, though — best musical.

Yep - Best Musical is the one that counts. I must say, I was sceptical about the project when Eric first mentioned it a few years back - but hats off to him, he seems to have done pretty well!

Let's hope they bring it to the West End over here one day, then I might get to view it for myself!:wink:

susanp6 said:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I love them all!!!!! :heart: Altho, Michael Palin always held a special place in my heart! :love:

Michael-Palin.jpg
head-palin.jpg

palin.jpg

palinyap.jpg

Last edited:
LMAO! I guess that, to me, Michael Palin is attractive because he's Michael Palin, seems to be a thoroughly decent bloke and makes me laugh my socks off... as opposed to being highly attractive physically (not that there's anything wrong there either)... if that makes sense!

Anyway. Quotes for all:

Palin

Armageddon is not around the corner. This is only what the people of violence want us to believe. The complexity and diversity of the world is the hope for the future.
Michael Palin

Contrary to what the politicians and religious leaders would like us to believe, the world won't be made safer by creating barriers between people.
Michael Palin

I always wanted to be an explorer, but - it seemed I was doomed to be nothing more than a very silly person.
Michael Palin

I am not a great cook, I am not a great artist, but I love art, and I love food, so I am the perfect traveller.
Michael Palin

I know that we shall meet problems along the way, but I'd far rather see for myself what's going on in the world outside, than rely on newspapers, television, politicians and religious leaders to tell me what I should be thinking.
Michael Palin

I remember queuing around the block in Sheffield when I was growing up. At that time, going to the cinema was really something special - there was something about the style of the real thing that is immeasurable nicer than multiplexes.
Michael Palin

I think some of the best modern writing comes now from travellers.
Michael Palin

I think you learn a lot about a country from its art. To me, it's part of the drama of life. It teaches you that there are places, moments and incidents in other cultures that genuinely have a life of their own.
Michael Palin

Of course there is a huge in our material welfare, religious upbringing, and things like that. But things like your family, your house, your children's education, your hope for the future, are things that throughout the Muslim world they would share very easily with their counterparts in America.
Michael Palin

Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.
Michael Palin

People are still crazy about Python after twenty-five years, which I find hard to believe.
Michael Palin

The trouble with travelling back later on is that you can never repeat the same experience.
Michael Palin

There is barely a country in the world where you will be completely safe.
Michael Palin

NNNNNNNNOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Michael Palin

Cleese

The one thing I remember about Christmas was that my father used to take me out in a boat about ten miles offshore on Christmas Day, and I used to have to swim back. Extraordinary. It was a ritual. Mind you, that wasn't the hard part. The difficult bit was getting out of the sack.
John Cleese

He who laughs most, learns best.
John Cleese

I find it rather easy to portray a businessman. Being bland, rather cruel and incompetent comes naturally to me.
John Cleese

If I can get you to laugh with me, you like me better, which makes you more open to my ideas. And if I can persuade you to laugh at the particular point I make, by laughing at it you acknowledge its truth.
John Cleese

If life were fair, Dan Quayle would be making a living asking 'Do you want fries with that?'
John Cleese

If you want creative workers, give them enough time to play.
John Cleese

You don't have to be the Dalai Lama to tell people that life's about change.
John Cleese

Oh, I could spend my life having this
conversation - look - please try to understand before one of us dies!
John Cleese

Jones

Every age sort of has its own history. History is really the stories that we retell to ourselves to make them relevant to every age. So we put our own values and our own spin on it.
Terry Jones

I'd always thought that if Python was going to go on at all, it'd be nice to get into storylines.
Terry Jones

You see the warmongers, in any age it's the same thing - they make money out of it.
Terry Jones

Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam. [written for waitress in spam sketch]
Terry Jones

Last edited:
Gilliam

It was lights, camera, inaction.
Terry Gilliam

A mistake is a Buddhist gift.
Director Terry Gilliam to Robin Williams.

Hello, good evening and welcome to the middle of the film. [The Meaning of Life]
Terry Gilliam

People in Hollywood are not showmen, they're maintenance men, pandering to what they think their audiences want.
Terry Gilliam

Chapman

All ideas come about through some sort of observation. It sparks an attitude; some object or emotion causes a reaction in the other person.
Graham Chapman

Death can really absorb a person. Lik most people, I would find it pleasant not to have to go, but you just accept that it's more or less inevitable.
Graham Chapman

Dressing up as decrepit old ladies, and even decrepit young ladies, was one of our staples.
Graham Chapman

Health care does not worry me a great deal. I've been impressed by some wonderful old people.
Graham Chapman

I can't talk to a man who bears an undeserved animosity towards ferrets.
Graham Chapman

I do not really look back with regret on any feelings or problems I have had in the past. I think I am more able to accept problems as being part of the rough and tumble of life. There are bound to be ups and downs. In retrospect, when you've gotten pasty a tough period, it makes the good things that much better.
Graham Chapman

I hope I will have achieved something lasting.
Graham Chapman

If this one takes off, it could make me rich beyond my wildest dreams. And believe me, my dreams are pretty wild!
Graham Chapman

It's nice to see that look of alarm on the faces of the others.
Graham Chapman

Monty Python was well-known for pushing and breaking comedy taboos and raising a stir... we were also the first show to do cannibalism as a schtick.
Graham Chapman

Other people build sketches after taking too many sleeping pills, but I never preferred that method, since I would keep dropping my pencil.
Graham Chapman

Several pantomine characters in Python made quite a spectacle.
Graham Chapman

Stormy in love, stormy in interviews, breakfast in bed-that's me, love.
Graham Chapman

We don't deliberately set out to offend. Unless we feel it's justified.
Graham Chapman

We had many concerns while planning Monty Python's Flying Circus... we wanted to avoid being bracketed as being another offshoot.
Graham Chapman

We received a letter from a lady who was incensed about my moral depravity, as though I was destroying the underpinnings of society.
Graham Chapman

We'd obviously realized at this stage that if we wrote something in a show that got repeated, then we would get another fee for it without having to do any extra work. Now that looked like a good idea, and as the BBC didn't pay us very much in the first place- the ingrates-it was almost essential to have the thing repeated.
Graham Chapman

World War II... did not happen to everyone, but it happened to most. There were people from Germany who were throwing bombs at us.
Graham Chapman

Yes, clothes dryers are monsters, and more of them should be painted... we did paint the clothes dryer on the set.
Graham Chapman

You know, Python should have won a Grammy for our musical work on the show.
Graham Chapman

Last edited:
I didn't read thru all 5 pages here, but I probably read a little bit last summer when it was originally posted. Just saw this this morning, and had to post :shifty:

MontyPython_ORly_animation.gif

[a line of prisoners files past a jailer]
Coordinator: Crucifixion?
Stan: Yes.
Coordinator: Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.
[Next prisoner]
Coordinator: Crucifixion?
Stan: Er, no, freedom actually.
Coordinator: What?
Stan: Yeah, they said I hadn't done anything and I could go and live on an island somewhere.
Coordinator: Oh I say, that's very nice. Well, off you go then.
Stan: No, I'm just pulling your leg, it's crucifixion really.
Coordinator: [laughing] Oh yes, very good. Well...
Stan: Yes I know, out of the door, one cross each, line on the left.

I cut down trees, I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra!
I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear papaaa!

:lol:

I've probably seen every Monty Python there is, and I can't get enough! :laugh:

"HELLO POLLY!!!!!!!"

my goodness! all i asked for for christmas was the Monty Python 16 Tons Box Set! every episode of the Flying Circus, it has consumed my life. check out Amazon for bargin prices on it. mine was $60.

i have a crush on John Cleese. :reject:

I would have to say that the show was better because there was more of it.

Personaly I thought the first 3/4 of Life of Brian was hiarious and Holy Grail was my first real exposure to Python so I will always love it.

Now for Something Completley different was okay, mostly the best skits from the show so pretty redundant IMO.

I never really liked The Meaning of Life:shrug:

Adrian Wapcaplet: Aah, come in, come in, Mr....Simpson. Aaah, welcome to
Mousebat, Follicle, Goosecreature, Ampersand, Spong, Wapcaplet, Looseliver,
Vendetta and Prang!
Mr. Simpson: Thank you.
Wapcaplet: Do sit down--my name's Wapcaplet, Adrian Wapcaplet...
Mr. Simpson: how'd'y'do.
Wapcaplet: Now, Mr. Simpson... Simpson, Simpson... French, is it?
S: No.
W: Aah. Now, I understand you want us to advertise your washing powder.
S: String.
W: String, washing powder, what's the difference. We can sell *anything*.
S: Good. Well I have this large quantity of string, a hundred and twenty-two
thousand *miles* of it to be exact, which I inherited, and I thought if I
advertised it...
W: Of course! A national campaign. Useful stuff, string, no trouble there.
S: Ah, but there's a snag, you see. Due to bad planning, the hundred and
twenty-two thousand miles is in three inch lengths. So it's not very
useful.
W: Well, that's our selling point!
"SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL STRINGETTES!"
S: What?
W: "THE NOW STRING! READY CUT, EASY TO HANDLE, SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL EMPEROR
STRINGETTES - JUST THE RIGHT LENGTH!"
S: For what?
W: "A MILLION HOUSEHOLD USES!"
S: Such as?
W: Uhmm...Tying up very small parcels, attatching notes to pigeons' legs, uh,
destroying household pests...
S: Destroying household pests?! How?
W: Well, if they're bigger than a mouse, you can strangle them with it, and if
they're smaller than, you flog them to death with it!
S: Well *surely*!....
W: "DESTROY NINETY-NINE PERCENT OF KNOWN HOUSEHOLD PESTS WITH PRE-SLICED,
RUSTPROOF, EASY-TO-HANDLE, LOW CALORIE SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL EMPEROR
STRINGETTES, FREE FROM ARTIFICIAL COLORING, AS USED IN HOSPITALS!"
S: 'Ospitals!?!?!?!!?
W: Have you ever in a Hospital where they didn't have string?
S: No, but it's only *string*!
W: ONLY STRING?! It's everything! It's...it's waterproof!
S: No it isn't!
W: All right, it's water resistant then!
S: It isn't!
W: All right, it's water absorbent! It's...Super Absorbent String!
"ABSORB WATER TODAY WITH SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL WATER ABSORB-A-TEX
STRINGETTES! AWAY WITH FLOODS!"
S: You just said it was waterproof!
W: "AWAY WITH THE DULL DRUDGERY OF WORKADAY TIDAL WAVES! USE SIMPSON'S
INDIVIDUAL FLOOD PREVENTERS!"
S: You're mad!
W: Shut up, shut up, shut up! Sex, sex sex, must get sex into it. Wait,
I see a television commercial-

There's this nude woman in a bath holding a bit of your string. That's
great, great, but we need a doctor, got to have a medical opinion.

There's a nude woman in a bath with a doctor--that's too sexy. Put an
archbishop there watching them, that'll take the curse off it. Now, we
need children and animals.

There's two kids admiring the string, and a dog admiring the archbishop
who's blessing the string. Uhh...international flavor's missing...make the
archbishop Greek Orthodox....

:lol: :lol:

One of my favourite has to be Spot The Brain Cell "I'm offering you a poke in the eye? Alright, a punch in the throat? My very last offer Mrs Scum, a knee in the temple, and a dagger up the clitoris!" :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom