Mongolian Throat Singing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elizabeth

New Yorker
Anyone know if I should go see this?

Free Concert
December 8, at 7:00 p.m.

Mongolian Throat Singing

CMA Cinema at Carnegie Museum of Art presents a free concert and demonstration of Mongolian throat singing, Sunday, December 8, at 7:00 p.m. in Carnegie Lecture Hall.

Throat singing, Mongolia's national art form, is an ancient musical tradition that enables a singer to produce two or more
notes simultaneously, producing an eerie sound some listeners have likened to the music of the bagpipes.

The concert's principal performer is B. Odsuren, Mongolia's preeminent teacher of throat singing, who will be accompanied by B. Battuvshin, who will serve as translator and will perform on the morin khuur, a two-stringed horse-head fiddle.

The free concert and demonstration will take place in Carnegie Lecture Hall, which is in the museum complex just off Schenley Drive, after the 5:00 p.m. screening of Kosh Ba Kosh, the final film in CMA Cinema's Kazakh/Tadjik film series. Kosh Ba Kosh, a 1993 film from Tadjikistan that won the Silver Lion at the Venice Film Festival, tells the story of a beautiful young woman who
is given away to settle a gambling debt and is threatened from all sides in an out-of-control Central Asian city on the brink of civil war.

For more information about these and other events presented by CMA Cinema, call 412.622.3212 or visit www.cmacinema.org.

Admission
Admission to the concert is free. Admission to Kosh Ba Kosh is $6; $5 for students, senior citizens, and Carnegie members; and $2 for Cin?Club members. University of Pittsburgh students, faculty, and staff with valid ID are admitted free to films in the Kazakh/Tadjik series.

YES!!!

It is so cool! We went to see some Tibetan monks who did this several years ago, and they sound so different and so cool. It's hard to describe how it sounds, except to say that it sounds like nothing you've ever heard before. It's a deep singing that's almost like a chant. It's quite hypnotic. Go! Especially if it's free.

I went to a concert this year with 3 Mongolian, Japanese and Tibetan performers. The Mongolian dude was great; he really astounded us with his 'double' singing. It was very peaceful to hear the low baritone with the sweet harmonics (like a bird's voice).

But the Japanese guy, he really wowed our pants off, because he was throatsinging while playing the jew's harp!

foray

I LOVE TUVVAN THROAT SINGING!!!

Even if the concert is over you should really check it out. Get ahold of Ondar's fantastic damn album Back Tuvva Future. So so good. Also check out Twenty Horses in my Herd. Yes I am all about throat singing. Ondar can even make three simultaneous notes, because he is, in fact, the man. Check it out!

Back
Top Bottom