Moments that scared you as a child (or an adult!).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Moments that scared you as a child (or an adult!).

Moonlit_Angel said:

"Are You Afraid Of The Dark?", would come out after me. That show...I loved that show as a kid, but yeowza, were there some really creepy moments on that show. I remember being particularly frightened of this ghostly witch figure that slowly moved down a hallway. Ever since that episode, and the hamper being right near the hallway in my old house, and all that sort of thing, dark, empty hallways have always bothered me. Matter of fact, I'm sitting here right now glancing over my shoulder at our darkened hallway, just making sure that I'm the only one up and about.

Yeah! That was a scary show at times! It got cheesy after awhile but some of those....yikes. Stephen King material!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moments that scared you as a child (or an adult!).

Mmhm. I remember watching an episode one afternoon where a girl got these glasses that, when she put them on, would show these figures dressed all in black coming at her.

I watched that when I was home alone, too. Yeah. Not a good idea. I went out to our kitchen to get some pop, and in the house we were living in at that time, the kitchen was near the basement, and I ran out to the kitchen, grabbed my drink, and ran back into the living room and just sat there until everyone else got home. I was scared those figures were gonna come after me.

Bono's American Wife said:
:lol:

That is hilarious!

LOL, it sounds funny now, yeah, and if I saw that cover now it wouldn't bother me, but back then...

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
When my youngest son was small, his older brothers knew he was terrified of Freddy Krueger and they would chase him with the covers from Nightmare on Elm Street videos to make him cry. One of them would even trick him into going into the horror section at Blockbuster after he had put all of the Freddy Krueger movies at eye level so he would scream bloody murder! I would be in the new releases and hear this high pitched little "aaaahhhhhhh, STOP IT!!!" and just shake my head. :tsk:

Awwww! That's mean!

Siblings love to scare each other, but oddly enough, I never was one to do things like that to my sister. My mom has stories of her older brother and sisters always scaring her, though-she'd seen some scary movie once as a kid, and her brother and sisters would scare her in the middle of the night by acting out bits from that movie and stuff.

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
And my middle son was terrified of Alf! Every time the theme music would come on, he would start to cry and run out of the room :lmao:

I loved Alf as a kid :D.

Some other things that have come to mind that have scared me:

-Two "Twilight Zone" episodes in particular: one where a girl keeps having a recurring dream of going down to the hospital morgue, seeing this nurse there, who says, "Room for one more, honey" to her, and she screams and runs away; and one where a girl's making a cross-country trip and keeps seeing a hitchhiker everywhere she goes. Freaky stuff there.
-When my family was trying to move out to Vermont, there were a couple of scary moments for me: driving through open areas of Indiana late at night-it's funny, Indiana's landscape looks pretty much like Iowa's landscape, so you'd think I'd be used to it...but I was still really nervous the entire time, was always afraid there'd be some maniac who'd come flying out from the fields at us with some weapon or something. Same thing happened when we were moving out here to Wyoming-the parts of Wyoming we drove through, there wasn't a town for a good number of miles, and it was kinda freaky. It was a "Twilight Zone" moment waiting to happen, LOL.

Also, when our car started having problems in Ohio, and actually caught on fire. 'Twas only the hood of the car that really got damaged, everyone and everything in the car was okay (just a little wet from the extinguisher stuff spraying all over), but it was still pretty scary nonetheless.
-When my sister and I were little and we were living in our original hometown back in Iowa, we were playing outside one day, and all of a sudden, there were these two guys who were on the street right in front of our house arguing, and one of them pulled out a gun. My sister and I ran inside and my dad, who'd heard the commotion, was calling the police by that time. Thankfully, no shots ever wound up being fired, and the police came quickly and took 'em away, but that was pretty disturbing.

Angela

Last edited:
Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my fear of Clowns (whether real ones or toys) between 'Poltergeist' and 'IT', I've never had even a moment where I thought a clown was anything other than scary!

From my second christmas until my fifth, I think, I kept my mom awake all night on christmas eve. All kids do that, right? Uh... well, I doubt all kids keep their parents up screaming and crying that they don't want that strange evil old man to sneak into their house. Yeah. Of course, after I did fall asleep and then wake up to see the presents, I was fine with christmas. :shrug: :wink:

There is a local legend around here (northern Michigan) about a creature who stalks the area during the seventh year of every decade (I'm actually writing a novel about it at the moment) and when I was in grade school a local radio station wrote a little song about it... SCARED THE CRAP OUTTA ME! Seriously, one sighting had to do with some people seeing this thing looking in the window at them... I made my parents by me window shades and I don't think I opened my windows again for a good five years.

Those sock-puppet alien things from Sesame Street.
Fucking HATED those things.
Yipyipyipyipyipyip.....yu-huh...

something about their eyes just spooked the hell out of me, I'd run screaming out of the room.

Turned out later I wasn't the only one.... CTW had to make some new "scenes" with those things to tone down the freakiness a little bit, after a lot of outcry from parents in the same straits as mine..

Nowadays they talk, they have little families and they're not presented with spooky 1974-era music playing in the background.

....But I still leave the room when they come on, albeit quietly, when my 6 y/o is watching Sesame Street. :reject:

I was scared straight to hell for days by a nightmare I had. I was walking along the street in the middle of the night with my family when this shadowy hooded figure was suddenly there walking towards me. I couldn't see a face of any kind or any features. Whoever it was was wearing a black hoodie. He finally walked up to me, and pulled back the hood, and I saw that it was the face of the Unabomber (they had been showing this unbelievably creepy sketch of the guy on TV around that time with aviator shades on). It was the exact sketch, except that the guy now had this horrifying grin and the face was very ragged in places. The figure said nothing, but pulled out this white gun-shaped thing (it was obviously a lethal weapon but it looked like a white hair dryer, only thinner). He just stood there pointing it at me saying nothing. I looked back and my entire family had disappeared, and I was alone in the rain with this guy. I ran like hell. Thought I had lost him. But, every single time I turned around, he was there, usually about 30 or so feet away, as though he was teleporting around, and all he did was just raise this hair dryer thing at me, never actually firing, but terrifying me enough to run every time, only to spot him as soon as I turned my head or stopped.

Eventually I woke up but I fell back asleep soon and the dream continued like that for the rest of the night; I'd dream it, wake with a jolt, fall back asleep again, then dream it again. This same dream recurred night after night after night for about a month. I can remember it from start to finish exactly as if it truly happened.

The scariest real life moment I ever had as a child was in Grade 6. I had a real control freak for a teacher, and he was a right grumpy old bastard, who didn't like me because my friends and I would chat in class. One day we had a test and the room was silent, so he was sitting at his desk eating chips (as he always did - the man never stopped eating chips) and reading something when all of a sudden I sneezed. Nothing more, just a sneeze. Well Mr. Boates went right apeshit, yelled "I've had ENOUGH of this shit!!" (which was odd, considering I hadn't done anything to even make him notice me all day), walked over to me - I was already terrified - grabbed my desk full of books and papers, walked over to the door with it, and proceeded to hurl it as hard as he could out the door, denting a block of lockers in the process. Then he came back over, grabbed the back of my chair (I was crying by this point), spilled me out of it, and said "pick up those papers (my books and papers were all over the hallway) and sit your ass in that chair and don't move until I tell you to!" He grabbed me by the collar of my shirt from off the floor, dragged me to the door, threw me out into the hall and screamed "clean that shit up!!" and slammed the door in my face. I cried for hours, went home, told my mom, and she filed a complaint with the school board. Nothing was ever done.

Holy crap, Dave...I can't believe nothing was done regarding that teacher, what a freakin' psycho :coocoo:! I don't blame you for being scared-that would've terrified me, too. Sorry you had to go through that :hug:.

That dream of yours sounds awfully disturbing, too. Yeesh.

I've never had a dream that made me sit up straight in bed sweating or anything like that, but I remember when I was little I had a dream where Alfred Hitchcock was chasing me. That scared me a bit (I'd seen bits and pieces of his show on Nick at Nite as a kid, and he creeped me out). Most of my dreams aren't scary, they're just weird as hell.

Angela

I got ran over by a cow when I was 3, I was picking raspberries in a farm and it escaped and KAPUT! Cows *shudder*

Also those Dementors off Harry Potter. Shit.

Gonna have nightmares now!

TV show moment: Episode from Twilight Zone where this ventriliquist's dummy is sitting on the couch and turns his head by himself and starts talking. Creepy. And the voiceovers were pretty creepy too.

Movie - I would jump at the traditional antics meant to make you scream but I agree that Silence of the Lambs is the most psychologically scary.

Real Life: In first grade at catholic school we had a new kid start and he was only there a few days when one day Sister Edith Marie used the ruler on the back of his hand to correct his penmanship and he instictively used his hand to swat back the ruler. Sister picked him up by his ear and marched him down to the principal's office. Not only did he not come back to class that day we never saw him again. In hindsight, his parents must have decided catholic school was a bit rough but at the time we were pretty sure Sister had either killed him or had him killed, so fierce was the legend of Sister Edith Marie and our own experiences with her.

Man were those nuns mean. Knock the Catholic right out of you.

In high school, pledging an illegal sorority we had to find a headstone in a graveyeard and get the date of death as a hazing ritual. My friend Annie and I were looking for ours together and I fell into an fresh grave - proabaly waiting for a burial the next day. I don't know who screamed louder and longer - her or I. Now I think it's hysterically funny, but I beleive I might have actually wet myself in terror at the time.

Last edited:
wolfeden said:
Those sock-puppet alien things from Sesame Street.
Fucking HATED those things.
Yipyipyipyipyipyip.....yu-huh...

something about their eyes just spooked the hell out of me, I'd run screaming out of the room.

Turned out later I wasn't the only one.... CTW had to make some new "scenes" with those things to tone down the freakiness a little bit, after a lot of outcry from parents in the same straits as mine..

Nowadays they talk, they have little families and they're not presented with spooky 1974-era music playing in the background.

....But I still leave the room when they come on, albeit quietly, when my 6 y/o is watching Sesame Street. :reject:

i used to like those guys! i forgot about them...

i wasn't allowed to watch are you afraid of the dark because my little brother was scared of it. stupid little brother.

:hmm:

nothing much really scared me as a kid except the pops and creaks the house would make in the middle of the night that sounded like someone walking down the hall.........but all in all nothing unusual :shrug:

i guess i was either brave or crazy or both. to this day i still sleep with a baseball bat by my side ready to pounce at any moment and hopefully for the person on the receiving end i'll never need to use it :wink:

YellowKite said:

Not to make light of your experience, but the visual of getting run over by a cow and your sound effects made me laugh. KAPUT! indeed.:hug:

Lol! Well it does make me laugh thinking back, but I'm still scared shitless!

Back
Top Bottom