modem help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
so last night my computer decided to quit. i restarted my computer because it froze. when it came back on, its taking waaay too long to resume. then i get that dreaded blue screen message reading something like "error reading drive C data or files may be lost."

all of my pictures, some important files, chats, music. gone. down the drain. lost in cyber space. :sad:

so i did a factory restore. in the process i guess it took out the modem, so i reinstalled the software for it. the last time i did this was in november. i had a bit of a problem with the modem, but i remember doing somethign so simple to get it going. now its back to square one.

when i try to do dialup, it keeps redialing, giving me a message the phone line is busy, then hangs up, then redials, then repeats the process.

i then removed the modem from the device manager. then restart the computer. didnt work. i took out the software, reinstsalled it. restarted. didnt work. i tried different variations with no luck.

its something so simple and i cant remember how i did it last time.

any advice?

First off, if your hard drive did that once, it will do it again. You're going to have to replace it out, unfortunately, and, depending on how old your computer is, it might just be cheaper to buy a new one from Dell or something.

Secondly, is the phone number correct? Do you have to dial 1+area code? Do you have to NOT have the 1 (or no area code)? Is your phone line touch tone or pulse? Those are some settings you can check out.

Melon

thanks melon, i'll have to check that out when i get home.

Oh and make sure your username and password are correct. Be very careful with the password, since you usually can't see it when you're typing it. If those are wrong, it will exhibit similar behavior as to what you're describing.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom