MMA Thread the Third

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most recent Joe Rogan Podcast with the guys who founded and run the Underground is good stuff.

I listened to some of it. And I was so glad to finally hear someone make the fencing footwork comparison as pertaining to a karate style a la Machida. I was starting to think that was the uneducated rambling of a 13er who doesn't trane (despite the fact that I've only walked past the school that Kirik dude teaches/taught at a bajillion times when I lived in Amherst).

Last edited:
UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship not playing in theaters near me. I don't want to spend $60 for the most mismatched UFC fight ever.

I live in an area where there are probably 100 bars within 3 miles of my house. There is a new one about a mile away charging $10. I may try that one they have 15 TVs and will have the fight on the sound system. Much better than the small place that was free and left the house music on I tried before.

what's with those 2 fights between 4 guys who don't even have wikipedia pages on the main card? the ones that make the main card 7 fights? i assume they won a tuf in brazil and were the guys who couldn't get visas on that tv card a little while ago when they had to shuffle stuff up for that. but that's an odd place to put them. i guess because geography? then there's the "please don't let bad things happen to these guys who wouldn't have been wrong to seriously consider retiring after their past several fights" brigade led by the nog brothers, but also featuring shogun and bigfoot. gadelha vs aguilar is pretty much the only main card fight i'm particularly interested in, second being maia and magny which is on the prelims. on paper this is a really fucking weird card.

Last edited:
It's the TUF Brazil finale.

This is such a lame card compared to the last few.

Very excited for Magny.

I won't be taking off from work to watch, I'll be waiting the 2-3 months til it's up on fight pass/finding the gif of Rousey's entire fight.

During a fan Q&A session earlier this month at the UFC’s International Fight Week and UFC 189, Buffer recounted two of the biggest mistakes in his career – and the one time his own excitement caused an injury.
“Aside from blowing my ACL announcing Georges St-Pierre in Toronto in front of 55,000 people at the biggest UFC ever – I didn’t fall down, thank God,” Buffer said. “I stood up. So, that’s the only time my body failed me. Otherwise I’ve never – knock on wood – flubbed a turn or whatever.
“As far as embarrassing moments? Yeah, there were two recently. I can count them on one hand over 20 years. But two of the funniest ones? One time I turned around, and I said, ‘And your referee in charge of the octagon.’ And I’m staring right into Mario Yamasaki’s face. And I go, ‘It’s Herb Dean.'”
The other notable incident in Buffer’s mind was at UFC 159 when announcing that Jim Miller had submitted Pat Healy.
The issue was, of course, that Healy had scored the submission.
“They both had a beard and whatever,” Buffer said. “You’ll see me sometimes on camera where I’m always watching fights, but I have to make a bunch of notes, and I have to prepare for the next fight on the table. So I was looking down and the fight ended so quick, and it ended in a submission, and they both had the beards, and they both looked similar, and I accidentally named the other fighter the winner.”

Most embarrassing "sports"-injury ever? :lol:.

That nasally announcer the UFC has for smaller events recently is not enjoyable to listen to.

Yeah he's not so awesome. The weirdest is if you go back to the early, early ufc cards, like the single digit numbers, the dude who did Buffer's job at the beginning who said everyone's last name a second time after announcing them. That was the worst.

There's a WSOF card, Pallhares & Jake Shields. Nurmy's brother is on the card too, Thiago Silva was supposed to be fighting Mike Kyle but he either decided he didn't want to get his chest bitten a la Wes Sims (or couldn't get licensed because of that fake pee thing from a few years back, I'm not entirely sure) but someone else is now.

Last edited:
I laughed at this on Facebook.

11823037_10206906678162541_1874649963157137829_o.jpg

So
I hope this bar thing works out later. I do want to see these odd ball fights, you never know something exciting could happen
That last Anthony Pettis fight was a jaw dropper.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to watching the fights, they just don't have the special thing on paper that gets me amped about getting the night off from work to see them. I'll watch them eventually like every other card this year and last year. It's just a bizarre card for a ppv right now.

Back
Top Bottom